• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,232 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2022 at 7:11 PM, Malacoda said:

Once again, your oft stated credo is substantiated: the fastest way to make something appear is to firmly predict it never will.  And, by the way, this has the split old/new money stamp which is the appropriate stamp for that month, and that month only, so it's not one that came in later. 

How great is that cover?  I love Adkins inking on Kane. 

This just leaves Mar-Vell 13 which is rather interesting to me.  About 40 years ago, my friend Nick's Dad was going to New York on business, so Nick gave him a list of all his gap issues - not the FF1 type stuff, but normal priced comics that had been gaps in his collection for many years. His Dad obviously never checked the list and just handed it over to a comic shop guy who must have thought it was Christmas.  Nick's Dad came back with the entire list. We sat down and immediately began devouring comics in the sort of companionable silence that I imagine would last about 12 seconds with Millennials.  We were there all day until eventually his mum chased us out into the garden to get some exercise and fresh air. 

What I remember most keenly, because it was on the top of the pile, because I read it first and because I had never seen it before, was Captain Marvel 13.  You have to bear in mind that we'd been collecting for about 7 or 8 years by this point, and we were lucky enough to spend our pocket money in the London comic shops (Dark They Were, Comic Showcase, Forbidden Planet, Eternal, LTS etc) and at the London comic marts.  So to have never seen a copy of this took some doing.  Is it a coincidence that 40 years later, it's the last issue we can't find a stamp for? 

Lovely story :cloud9:

On 9/1/2022 at 7:26 PM, OtherEric said:

This thread and the whole crew of regulars is awesome! jolly good. 

Repaired that for you (UK Praise Variant) :)

On 9/1/2022 at 8:46 PM, OtherEric said:

I'm currently hating the combo of the forum software and my tablet's autocorrect, but appreciate the correction!

I was waiting for you to finish editing before I responded Eric. Bloody technology :bigsmile:

On 9/1/2022 at 7:26 PM, OtherEric said:

Just wanted to highlight this post.  For all that it's digging incredibly deep into esoteric detail, a decent chunk of the length of the thread is a continual willingness to just stop and love our shared hobby... both admiring the art and the memories of collecting and sharing with friends.

This thread and the whole crew of regulars is awesome!

Thanks Eric.  I fully agree and I'm probably the worst culprit for bringing everything back to facts and figures, so I really appreciate what you're saying.  Without the shared love of comics, we'd be just a bunch of oldsters banging on about inkstamps and indicias. Here's to the joy. 

image.gif.5f888cb303c1a8b09e1685b582331f23.gif

On 9/1/2022 at 11:57 AM, Garystar said:

EBAYUK;

Image 1 - Marvel DAREDEVIL #57  (1969) Daredevil Unmasked!

Good catch Gary.  I saw this one pop up too.  Did you see also see this one?  Like buses - they have a tremendous herd instinct. 

I suspect, given the colour of the stamp and the comic, that I've actually missed a few of these. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e2478e4a5a3f60aeeff85c4ae77466b4.jpeg

On 9/2/2022 at 1:10 AM, Malacoda said:

Did you see also see this one?  Like buses - they have a tremendous herd instinct. 

I was only looking for one example and found what must be the tattiest comic on eBay. But like you said easy to miss these with dark blue stamp on purple background. 
I was reading this period of daredevil comics as back issues when I first started collecting - the title did seem more common than a lot of others which suited me as I have always been a fan of gene colan. 

On 9/2/2022 at 2:47 PM, Garystar said:

I was reading this period of daredevil comics as back issues when I first started collecting - the title did seem more common than a lot of others which suited me as I have always been a fan of gene colan. 

That rare instance of an artist being put to his best use.  Colan's beautiful fluidity really suited DD and helped mask some of the preposterous elements (how did he swing from building to building with a single billy club?).  His moody, misty, Gothic pencils were also perfect on Drac and both his pencil style and page layouts were perfect on Doc Strange.  The thing that always amazed me was that Colan was a massive stickler for detail. Given his flowing, indulgent, colouring-outside-the-lines style, you wouldn't think so, but he used to meticulously research locations and history to get all the details right.  

13 SPLASH PAGES: A GENE COLAN Birthday Celebration | 13th Dimension,  Comics, Creators, Culture

Daredevil's first issue was in April 1964 so with a bi-monthly schedule it took until April 1965 and issue 7 before he transformed into the more-fetching all-red costume. Is it true that Daredevil appears in the new She Hulk TV show wearing his original mostly-yellow suit?

Am I imagining it or was there a story/stories in a Marvel comic featuring a shop where villains went to buy their colourful costumes?? If not there should have been. Not every super-villain would have had a wife/girlfriend handy with a sewing machine (although perhaps more-so in the 1960s).

1236847251_daredevil2.thumb.jpg.80a7efa3b2ae2dc71afd3caead3d1970.jpg

Edited by themagicrobot

On 9/2/2022 at 10:31 AM, themagicrobot said:

Daredevil's first issue was in April 1964 so with a bi-monthly schedule it took until April 1965 and issue 7 before he transformed into the more-fetching all-red costume. Is it true that Daredevil appears in the new She Hulk TV show wearing his original mostly-yellow suit?

Am I imagining it or was there a story/stories in a Marvel comic featuring a shop where villains went to buy their colourful costumes?? If not there should have been. Not every super-villain would have had a wife/girlfriend handy with a sewing machine (although perhaps more-so in the 1960s).

I honestly don't know if Marvel ever did that story.  DC certainly did:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gambi

On 9/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, themagicrobot said:

. Is it true that Daredevil appears in the new She Hulk TV show wearing his original mostly-yellow suit?

I wait until all episodes are available and then binge watch whole series so haven’t watched she-hulk yet. The trailer did appear to show daredevil in his Netflix costume but with hints of yellow. 

On 9/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, themagicrobot said:

Am I imagining it or was there a story/stories in a Marvel comic featuring a shop where villains went to buy their colourful costumes??

Wasn’t the gladiator a costume maker, in DD #18 foggy nelson gets his DD costume made by him.

I honestly don't know if Marvel ever did that story.  DC certainly did:

Perhaps that's what I'm thinking of. But there might also have been something in a Thing solo comic. I recall one story where he sits in a bar drinking with The Sandman. That was a fun story. As for Paul Gambaccini he has lived here in the UK for decades and was/is a DJ (I think it's classical music now rather than pop). He was a prolific letter writer in early 1960s DCs.

Wasn’t the gladiator a costume maker, in DD #18 foggy nelson gets his DD costume made by him.

Right I'll be back in 3 weeks when I find my DD 18.

Edited by themagicrobot

On 9/2/2022 at 6:43 PM, themagicrobot said:

Right I'll be back in 3 weeks when I find my DD 18.

We can't spare you for three weeks, so....as if by magic (Robot), we're back in the shop.....

AnPymGoldDaredevil%252520018-003.jpg

Hats (...capes, boots, cloaks of levitation...) off to Gary. 

On 9/2/2022 at 8:34 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

This Hawkman 22 from November 1967 has the original T & P stamp (presumably 10d) obscured by an oblong TP sticker with a different price, which is in turn overlaid by a decimal transitional 1/- 5p sticker.

comichawkman22 (2).jpg

You have to wonder how many times some of these went round.  A shilling wasn't officially equated to 5p until the Decimalisation Currency Act of May 1969.  5p stickers start appearing from late 1969 / early 1970.  Yet here's Action Comics #343 from November 1966 

image.thumb.jpeg.b2f011a7a4bd2128f6a2fa25f6f54b1b.jpeg