• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,232 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2023 at 10:19 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

#43 seems to have the most copies circulating:

Mmmm.  Lovely.  You give great montage.  

43 does seem to have quite a lot of stamp placement variation as well. doesn't it?  ("Donna, when I said do it like lightning, I meant fast, not never in the same place twice"). 

( I see Mr. Gold's stamper of choice being more of a Donna than an Ethel).  

43 e.jpg

43 y.jpg

Edited by Malacoda

On 4/30/2023 at 9:12 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

...if only Albert still had his '10d' ledger copy....

comicasm401(2).thumb.jpg.afeceec38da9367d5ca9c56dab29dcc6.jpg

On 4/30/2023 at 9:12 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

.if only Albert still had his '10d' ledger copy....

My ASM # 42 is a shilling circle.

I have taken a close look at my ASM # 40, and it has a stamp, but too faint and fuzzy to make out.

comicasm402 (3).jpg

On 5/2/2023 at 9:34 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

My ASM # 42 is a shilling circle.

Can we see it!

On 5/2/2023 at 9:34 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

I have taken a close look at my ASM # 40, and it has a stamp, but too faint and fuzzy to make out.

I'm seeing the shilling circle stamp. Faint as you say, but it's there.

On 5/2/2023 at 9:38 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I'm seeing the shilling circle stamp. Faint as you say, but it's there

Hmmmmm.

Dunno 'bout that.

There seem to be some straight lines inside the outer circle.

Maybe a case of seeing what you expected to see, like Schiaparelli's canals.

On 5/2/2023 at 10:34 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Hmmmmm.

Dunno 'bout that.

There seem to be some straight lines inside the outer circle.

Maybe a case of seeing what you expected to see, like Schiaparelli's canals.

Get yourself down to Specsavers Albert, if you can't see the 1 in the centre there. 

Magoo.gif.c09ca9260428124f6e0fc0031e7cdd18.gif

On 5/2/2023 at 10:49 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Tried, but can't find it, they need a bigger sign.

My pal here says he'll take me tomorrow.

blink.jpeg

:grin:

I did a bit of mucking around with the image Albert - can you see it now? Magnifyingglass.gif.bcd9eac9526c60ce3a3aa053a8b46fb5.gif

43.jpg.d4818aaccb3f94a07bee3d12970a3b84.jpg comicasm402(3).thumb.jpg.b0640fc5ae182bca60943bc263df6bf9.jpg.6b7283a50c4e9920cefdb60a3eda2b97.jpg 

Here are two other 'blink and you'll miss them' stamped #40s which I've just found - the ink seems to have been running low at this point:

401sh(2).jpg.9ba5f89a73acba320daf55fe83467319.jpg 401shb(2).jpg.ee022a2dc862738218ad89e50d0ea373.jpg

The one on the left is from a listing stating "light one shilling stamp to cover". The one on the right I'm not sure what's going on.

On 5/2/2023 at 10:44 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Get yourself down to Specsavers Albert, if you can't see the 1 in the centre there. 

There is a vertical line there that may be the 1, but there are other straight lines.

The normal one has a pretty empty circle apart from the 1/-.

Maybe a clearer example will be found.

On 11/16/2022 at 12:29 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Checked my ASM 42, but it is a circular 1/-, placed very carefully in the only clear white area of sufficient size.

Ethel would have done well to fear losing her position to this stamper..

asm42.jpg

Here it is again.

On 5/3/2023 at 10:57 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

Here it is again.

Thanks - I see I liked the post at the time, so not sure why it escaped me / the files. 

...actually, scrub that - I've got brain fog and have mixed this up. I've got quite a few shilling 42s in the file. Getting my 10ds and shillings in a muddle :insane:

On 5/3/2023 at 6:24 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

:grin:

I did a bit of mucking around with the image Albert - can you see it now? Magnifyingglass.gif.bcd9eac9526c60ce3a3aa053a8b46fb5.gif

43.jpg.d4818aaccb3f94a07bee3d12970a3b84.jpg comicasm402(3).thumb.jpg.b0640fc5ae182bca60943bc263df6bf9.jpg.6b7283a50c4e9920cefdb60a3eda2b97.jpg 

Here are two other 'blink and you'll miss them' stamped #40s which I've just found - the ink seems to have been running low at this point:

401sh(2).jpg.9ba5f89a73acba320daf55fe83467319.jpg 401shb(2).jpg.ee022a2dc862738218ad89e50d0ea373.jpg

The one on the left is from a listing stating "light one shilling stamp to cover". The one on the right I'm not sure what's going on.

Could the ASM # 40 have a blurred version of the double stamp below, which was posted back on page 170 of this thread?

stamp.jpg

On 5/3/2023 at 12:46 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Could the ASM # 40 have a blurred version of the double stamp below, which was posted back on page 170 of this thread?

stamp.jpg

Could be. We'll have to keep 'em Shaw Taylor-like for a decently stamped copy. 

Just adding in the Spideys for now, we have one or both of the presumed Gold Star 10d / One Shilling stamps for 9 consecutive issues now (bar #46):

Capture.thumb.PNG.7e4d8c935e496bd16e74abbbf2176361.PNG

I wonder if we did a full deep dive - by which I mean a thorough check of all the issues surrounding the UKPV absentees that triggered the review, for all titles, but over many years - we would find a more consistent pattern that, perhaps, would indicate a one year distribution arrangement? Or they could have all rocked up together, of course with a  concentration around the hiatus issues. In my experience, the only way to do it is to look for years, not months, diligently. Once you start a consistent pattern of looking, they slowly start to materialise. There were only a handful of Charlton RV stamps when I started looking properly but, over a few years, that figure has expanded to the point where I'm confident now that I could prove a full distribution arrangement, with dates.

Time permitting, I'll see if I can overlay the 10d oblongs for all the other publishers I've gathered to date, to see what, if anything, jumps out. 

On 5/3/2023 at 1:15 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Just adding in the Spideys for now, we have one or both of the presumed Gold Star 10d / One Shilling stamps for 9 consecutive issues now (bar #46):

Capture.thumb.PNG.7e4d8c935e496bd16e74abbbf2176361.PNG

I wonder if we did a full deep dive - by which I mean a thorough check of all the issues surrounding the UKPV absentees that triggered the review, for all titles, but over many years - we would find a more consistent pattern that, perhaps, would indicate a one year distribution arrangement? Or they could have all rocked up together, of course with a  concentration around the hiatus issues. In my experience, the only way to do it is to look for years, not months, diligently. Once you start a consistent pattern of looking, they slowly start to materialise. There were only a handful of Charlton RV stamps when I started looking properly but, over a few years, that figure has expanded to the point where I'm confident now that I could prove a full distribution arrangement, with dates.

Time permitting, I'll see if I can overlay the 10d oblongs for all the other publishers I've gathered to date, to see what, if anything, jumps out. 

There was no shortage of the Marvels just before and just after the hiatus, they all appeared on cue. I reckon the others outside the Oct-Dec gap turned up later, being unsold Stateside copies someone bunged David Gold's way for peanuts.

Can we do an approximate census on the issues the 10d and 1/- stamps appeared on? The Oct-Dec issues probably outnumber them by a substantial margin, I think, but until the numbers are crunched we will not be sure. I would say an initial mini-flood, followed by a diminishing trickle.

Surely there could not have been an official contract between Marvel and Gold Star. T & P would have brought in their learned friends. Cease and desist forthwith letters are always at one's elbow in a legal office.

On 5/3/2023 at 2:36 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Can we do an approximate census on the issues the 10d and 1/- stamps appeared on? The Oct-Dec issues probably outnumber them by a substantial margin, I think, but until the numbers are crunched we will not be sure.

We? 

On 5/3/2023 at 8:21 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

As you have already detected, my minces are playing me up a bit, so I will take a back seat on this.

Thanks for volunteering, I will chip in for a statue of you when the work is complete.

Let me know where to send my contribution to the statue fund, Albert.  I'm imagining something on the scale of the Colossus of Ankh-Morpork, personally.

Edited by OtherEric