• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,232 posts in this topic

Albert and Robot. We've got a long way to go on the AI front admittedly.
My concern was the ease in which fake photographs, and more worryingly ersatz videos which are indistinguishable from the real thing now become so much easier to produce.
The potential to disrupt our modest pastime is negligible compared to the disorder that could be caused by fake news in the media. 

On 6/5/2023 at 2:24 PM, themagicrobot said:

These ink stamps typically included the company's name, "Thorpe & Porter Ltd," and often appeared in the form of circular or rectangular imprints on the front or back cover of the comic.

Never the actual name, never rectangular and not on the front (except by transfer of wet ink). 

With the evolution of the comic book industry and changes in distribution methods, the use of ink stamps became less common.

Nope. 

With the evolution of the comic book industry and changes in distribution methods, the use of ink stamps became less common.

It was replaced at a stroke by a change in the printing, not distribution. 

They're not hideous errors but you do get the feeling it's a generic answer pieced together from other semi-relevant data, don't you?

@Malacoda said

Never the actual name, never rectangular and not on the front (except by transfer of wet ink). 

????

I explained to the AI that ink stamps only appeared on the front covers. And I'd like to clarify for the three other visitors to this tumbleweed thread that you are attributing quotes made by the AI to me. 

On 6/6/2023 at 8:10 PM, themagicrobot said:

I explained to the AI that ink stamps only appeared on the front covers. And I'd like to clarify for the three other visitors to this tumbleweed thread that you are attributing quotes made by the AI to me. 

Sorry, meant never on the back.  

On 6/13/2023 at 3:53 AM, paqart said:

I was offered either a 9.0 Hulk 101 or a UK pence variant of Atom #1, both for $500. I told the dealer, "I'm not interested in British reprints." I went home with the Hulk, though I would have preferred the Atom if it had been American.

The Atom # 1 WAS American. 

It may have had a 9d stamp, applied on arrival in the UK, but without that it would have been indistinguishable from the ones that never crossed the pond.