• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad Robot's ZATANNA movie (TBD)
3 3

35 posts in this topic

Then another insider stated it was happening as a spin-off from Justice League Dark.

Then Jeremy Conrad also noted there's a Zatanna film in the works.

WB Has Begun Development on a Zatanna Movie

One of the most popular DC characters is at long last going to appear in a movie, as Zatanna is on her way to the big screen after a lot of speculation over the last couple years.

I’ve learned today that WB has finally begun development on a movie featuring Zatanna, and am told this is separate from the Justice League Dark project Bad Robot is working on. It also sounds like other characters who have been members of Justice League Dark might also head to the big screen, but that’s much further out.

Two years ago, Deadline reported that WB was talking about doing movies based on Supergirl, Batgirl, and Zatanna. The recent Michael Keaton news mentioned that the Batgirl movie is still coming, but there’s been doubt lately over the Supergirl movie. Rumors are swirling that WB really wants JJ Abrams for Superman, which would probably put Supergirl on the back burner; that would open up another spot on the slate for Zatanna.

There were rumors that she’d show up in The Suicide Squad next year, but James Gunn shot those down saying he never thought of including her.

Zatanna has been a fixture in DC Comics for decades, she’s had many appearances in DC animation over the years, and appeared in Smallville. It’s about time for her to show up in a movie, and it sounds like WB agrees.

Edited by Bosco685

Live-Action Zatanna Movie Reportedly In The Works From Warner Bros.

Zatanna, the spell-casting superhero who has had chairs on the Justice League and Justice League Dark, apparently once again has a movie in the early stages of development, according to Jeremy Conrad at DCEU Mythic. The report has little in the way of specific details, although the idea of Zatanna getting her own movie has been floated a few times, as recently as 2018, with the character recently rumored to have an appearance in The Suicide Squad (filmmaker James Gunn rejected that theory). It seems plausible that the film is one of two mystery projects that fans had spotted built into the structure of the DC FanDome mobile website.

In more recent comics, Zatanna's rocky romance with John Constantine has been a frequent driver of stories for both characters. It is not clear whether Constantine will be part of her film, although Conrad reports that Zatanna is distinct from the Justice League Dark TV series from Bad Robot, planned for HBO Max.

Fans have wondered whether a Justice League Dark show might center on Constantine and Zatanna, key players in the comics and the animated movies. That had led to some speculation (and/or worry) that Constantine might be pulled from DC's Legends of Tomorrow. With a new, unrelated Zatanna movie, it seems more likely that either Warner Bros. is happy enough with two different versions of each character being out there, or that neither of the two will be in Justice League Dark.

"The relationship with Zatanna is something that I've not explored in live action; that's one character that I would love to see John in live action," Matt Ryan, who played he character on the Constantine TV show before coming to Arrow and finally Legends of Tomorrow, recently told ComicBook.com. "It's funny, because when I first read 'Dangerous Habits,' which is the first comic I read, and I fell in love with that, that was primarily, it's a bit funny in a way, I feel like now that I have fleshed that out in the animation -- and we did on this season of Legends as well -- it's almost like I have to kind of find another thread now. It's a funny thing because I was hopped on that, that was such a motivational part of John for me for a long time, and what is going to be interesting about next season of Legends now is going back and kind of finding the drives now that he's evolved through that in a way, and that's interesting."

1 hour ago, piper said:

I love the Character but this film has the potential to be anywhere from unwatchable to brilliant. 

Well, you covered all the bases with that post. :baiting:

1 hour ago, bpc3qh said:

Presumably they'd pair her with at least 1-2 other heroes? Not sure which ones would fit best in a live action movie?

She's a former lover of John Constantine. I wouldn't be surprised if they at least are in the same film.

Constantine_Zatanna.thumb.jpg.0a6f56afd069211088bd1d1c08914cb8.jpg

Constantine_Zatanna2.jpg.4139182c702207b63823fe9635640f94.jpg

I'd ruled out Constantine because of Legends of Tomorrow and the animated stuff (plus Keanu's old movie), but that would be entertaining (assuming they get Matt Ryan to do it); I also associate her with Batman, but that seems less likely.

18 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

What movie are we talking about??

No casting no nothing...

a rumor? Just like the Supergirl movie and Batgirl movie?

Both of which have failing TV shows

Movie is in the works...calling BS

We shall see.

Emerald Fennell, the Oscar-nominated director of “Promising Young Woman,” is taking on a different kind of vigilante. She has been tapped to write “Zatanna,” a big-screen adaptation of the DC Comics heroine.

The movie, from Warner Bros.’ DC Films and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions, is set to be released theatrically.

The upcoming installment in the DC Extended Universe will be Zatanna’s first franchise appearance. She is known for her involvement with the Justice League, though the character has never appeared in a DC movie. Serinda Swan perviously portrayed Zatanna, marking the superhero’s live-action debut, on later seasons of The CW show “Smallville.” The role of Zatanna has not been cast yet.

Ten years ago Megan Fox would have had a shot. Now, I have not been following enough of the 20 something actresses to have a suggestion. They need to look at someone mid to late 20s if it is a multi-film deal.

Edited by kimik

On 7/4/2020 at 3:59 PM, Shoomanfoo said:

What movie are we talking about??

No casting no nothing...

a rumor? Just like the Supergirl movie and Batgirl movie?

Both of which have failing TV shows

Movie is in the works...calling BS

there is no batgirl tv show. it is batwoman. whole different thing. batgirl, as in the paralyzed barbara gordon, will be in titans next season.

As for Supergirl, she had her run, nothing can last forever. I agree though, there's no reason for either to have their own movie right out of the gate. 

15 hours ago, piper said:

It might be terrible but I'd watch a Zatanna film!

DC161187-87B2-4B0C-91D7-43C0764D58D7.jpeg

589EA0B4-1F3B-44F6-882F-D4F1CF623B5D.jpeg

90BE8AC1-5646-4A89-9469-B7E29CC081FE.jpeg

83E8BF5B-468E-4D31-A7EA-A00F81E54ACE.jpeg

CC25CBDE-7604-4EA6-886B-F88314088DDF.jpeg

0361AF08-AA13-406C-A885-A28B6EC8B2C4.jpeg

She has been done well in the JL Dark cartoon movies where she is interacting with Constantine. But we've seen so many "young pretty people doing magic" TV shows this really needs to be done carefully.

51 minutes ago, the blob said:

She has been done well in the JL Dark cartoon movies where she is interacting with Constantine. But we've seen so many "young pretty people doing magic" TV shows this really needs to be done carefully.

do they force non-comic nerd screen writers to exhaustively review the background material? i really hope they don't have someone writing a screen play who doesn't spent a week immersing herself with what has been done with the character (zatanna really should not be that hard) to understand why fans like them. It seems like common sense, but with DC, I'm not so sure.