• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mavel CGC Strange Tales Pedigrees

27 posts in this topic

I'm trying to make a list of all the Marvel Silver-Age Pedigrees that have been graded by CGC.

Since I collect Strange Tales and have a lot of them, I decided to do that title first.

I basically did research thru GPA, Metropolis, ComicLink, Pedigree Comics and the Registry. I only include those Pedigrees that are recognized by CGC.

If you have or know of any issues not shown, please email me with the serial # if possible.

The main reason I'm doing this is to determine which issues have been certified (and therefore in the census) and which issue might not be in the census yet. If you notice the Northland Copy of #101 has been graded 9.2, and other scattered issues have been graded between 9.2 and 9.4. But where are the missing issues (are they graded or not).

Just thought this was interesting.

914924-StrangeTalesPedigree.JPG

914924-StrangeTalesPedigree.JPG.2898d4e6d5dccc6275f8cbcb82af3ba1.JPG

great idea. Wish we had this for every title. Its like sketching in the final census years before we will ever kniw the final answers! From the looks of this chart alone---There sure COULD be a heck of a lot more 9.2+ copies from these Pedigree collections alone sitting raw out there..... You need to add the ACTUAL census data to date on it too to see where we stand already......

Thanks.

I had forgot about these on eBay. While they might be lower grade, any pedigree helps fill out the gaps.

I'm going to try to do this with all the Marvel titles but it's definitely a time consuming process.

While I agree there are probably lots that haven't been certified. I do know that Tom Brulato has had most (if not all) his books certified, but unfortunately doesn't put them in the registry. So they are in the census.

Steve, there is also a Green River Strange Tales #138 9.4. I own both the 9.0 and the 9.4. Oddly enough i was working on the (small) Strange Tales Gallery for the GR site just this morning. Check there in a day or two and I will have it up.

Brad

Thanks for the info.

Right now I'm compiling for Strange Tales and Tales to Astonish so any data will be helpful.

Based on the Green River List, Strange Tales #138 has a multiple copies.

I've also started looking at Heritage scans to get the serial numbers off of pedigree books, with the idea that in some cases the submission will have other pedigree books in it. I have discovered a few more using that approach. That's why having the serial number is so helpful.

While it looks like there are major gaps, leaving one to believe that there are many pedigree books uncertified, I'm not sure that's the case. As I said before Tom Brulato doesn't have his sets on the Registry and since Doug Schmell has lots of the Pacific Coast, that's why they are easy to identify.

Plus, where are all the Curator copies?

Hi: You can add these to your list:

Strange Tales: 101 CGC 9.4 Western Penn, 105-115 CGC 9.6 Western Penn

TTA: 35-40 CGC 9.6 Western Penn

Those were the grades a few years ago, of course they may have been resubbed and given different grades.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Link is up for the Strange Tales Green River gallery......

http://www.darkdesign.com/gr/strangetalesindex.html click on the thumbnails for larger size scans. I'm also starting to add more links to larger size scans in the Marvel CGC data table. There is plenty of Tales to Astonish info there......

Brad

http://www.darkdesign.com/gr/cgcdatatablemarvel.html I'll try to get some more large scans of the TTA issues up soon.

Steve, cool idea. For the Western Penn ST 128, what's with the 8.5/9.4 notation? Are there 2 copies identified by CGC? Also, for the Western Penn copies of 136-139, 145-147, 150, 159 and 165, do you have the PQs?

Great info, Tom. I don't suppose you'd have the page qualities of these books?

Those were the grades a few years ago, of course they may have been resubbed and given different grades.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks. This helps alot. I'm updating the list with those grades. The #108 was upgraded to a 9.8 as it's in the gallery. I looked in the gallery and got a few more issues, but unfortunately, I can not read the serial numbers on the old label. Pretty much those with a new label were resubs.

I'll post an update for Strange Tales and Tales to Astonish in the next day or two.

Steve, cool idea. For the Western Penn ST 128, what's with the 8.5/9.4 notation? Are there 2 copies identified by CGC? Also, for the Western Penn copies of 136-139, 145-147, 150, 159 and 165, do you have the PQs?

The ST #128 must have two copies as the 9.4 was actually sold (per GPA) before the 8.5. So it wasn't a resubmit.

Obviously, it will be very hard for me to tell if books are duplicates or resubmits unless I can actually find the submission invoice and see two of the same issue.

Can't say what the PQ is for the WP Strange Tales other then all the ones I have seen have been at least Off-White.

Steve,

Have you been scooping up those books that recently were listed on Doug's site?

I bought the two I needed to complete a CGC 9.4 or better run from #135-168. cloud9.gif

Of course I'm going for a whole run, but will take CGC 9.0's in a heartbeat on the early issues.

great idea. Wish we had this for every title. Its like sketching in the final census years before we will ever kniw the final answers! From the looks of this chart alone---There sure COULD be a heck of a lot more 9.2+ copies from these Pedigree collections alone sitting raw out there..... You need to add the ACTUAL census data to date on it too to see where we stand already......

Just to keep everyone informed, I decided to do this for all the early Marvel Silver-Age Super-Hero titles. I'm more then half way done, but so everyone can appreciate how time consuming it is, once I get a serial number from some hard to find pedigree issue, I actually search thru the whole submission.

Said another way, if I see the Western Penn copy of an early book and can get a scan that I can read the serial number (or it's in someone's registry set), I go thru all the sequential serial numbers hoping that the submission was a bunch of Western Penn copies (that might have never been sold or registered).

I'll start presenting my reports next week, but if anyone has some serial numbers for early SA books (in the old label) from the Western Penn, Mass, Winnipeg and Curator pedigrees of books that you know are not on the registry or sold on Heritage, it would help. Pacific Coast are relatively easy as Doug Schmell has many of them, and I've been able to find lots of the Northland submissions.

Thanks....

Great idea, Steve. I`ve been putting together a database of Western Penns (Marvel and DC). I don`t have serial numbers, but I can send you grades. PM me with your email address and I`ll send the XL file to you.

The biggest shame about all this is we have to reassemble all of this so laboriously when it`s all there in CGC`s database and would be so easy to extract if they would give us access to the database and let us search it.

Steve, looking at your table, the few norhtland (1!?) books in my ST run are already in your list from the registry, but whats not on the registry in my collection for TTA, #93 9.4 Winnipeg OW/W, and #59 9.4 OW Northland...I've got other books listed in those slots.

Think thats my only doubles for those titles that run into pedigree's, hope it helps.