• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Summertime Comic Book Memories
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Similar to the @01TheDude     Slurpees and comics from 7/11 was my Summer jam.   

With the occasional Sunday stroll to BJ's Country Corner in Villa Park, IL.   Bronze age (with some Silver) priced on the back in light pencil, never bagged or boarded.    The smell of old paper......the smell!!!!!   If Yankee Candle made a scent called 'Old Comic Book Paper', I'd buy,

I'll share few... when I was really young, my Grandma would say I would shout "Licky! Licky," as we approached Lucky's. That's because they had a wooden rack of comics. To this day I still recall some of the titles.

I got lost in the Mall, once, climbed up the escalator, when I should have been too young to do so. But, i know what attracted me, it was the Fireside Marvel books upstairs in the Waldenbooks.

I remember a van would take me to Church school in the Summer, and the driver had a copy of Son of Satan #1 in the back. I asked can I have that? Embarrassingly, he said no.

I remember buying Hulk 181 in my first ever comic store, off the wall for like 5 dollars.

I would love visiting 7-11, because even if I couldn't afford them, the racks were loaded with comics-- some times my Dad would pick up Wrestling magazines, and get me a few.

I would sit patiently for hours reading Treasury editions at the Toys R Us when parents wanted to shop for gifts.

I remember sitting in Walgreens and reading comics on the bottom shelf, as they had lots of Gold Keys with 15c titles, even though we were in the 25c era by then.

I can remember a lot of fond memories with comics, prior to college, when they faded away, I think that's what draws a lot of us back -- to the good old days.