• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be a Crime not to post your Detective Pulps
6 6

446 posts in this topic

A shot in the dark here, but I'm looking for a nice image of the cover for Clues Detective April 1937 if anyone has it in their collection:

CluesDetectiveStories1937-04p0000aclues_detective_stories_193704.jpg.35b495e686c5f7e897d06c263d51222b.jpg

That's Violet McDade and her partner (perhaps in more than one sense of the word), Nevada, on the cover from Cleve Adams.  Violet weighs in at 300 to four hundred pounds and keeps a pistol up each sleeve, an interesting take on the female detective.  I'd take a pic, but the ideal is a 600 dpi .tif scan (which you'll likely need to put on a filelocker cuz of the size and send me a link).

https://www.mediafire.com/file_premium/cxbptor568bxzdm/Clues_Detective_Stories_v37n05_%281937-04.Street_%26_Smith%29_%28sai-darwin%29.cbr/file

https://archive.org/details/clues-detective-stories-v-37n-05-1937-04.-street-smith-sai-darwin

CompleteDetectiveCasesv02n06(1940-09.Postal)cover.thumb.jpg.966f3565517e0f10ca83b5ecaaba4df4.jpg

I picked this one up when I figured out it was the issue *before* Joe Simon came on as Art Director.  I've scanned the first two issues he did, and the layouts are amazing (not to mention the Simon/Kirby illos).  I wanted to see how the previous issue looks, and while a great improvement from the earliest issues in the volume (which was a fiction pulp in v1), the layout is nowhere near as imaginative as where young Joe Simon would take it.  Still a very cool mag, though (especially the photographs, very well done). 

On 10/14/2024 at 10:45 PM, dickymoe74 said:

I found some really cool Detective Pulps from the late 1930's, bought all the Pulps years ago, packed them away in a box with other mixed Pulps and totally forgot I had them.  Just made my night!  YEAH!!!!

10 Story Detective Magazine July 1939.jpg

Double Detective Novenber 1939.jpg

Thrilling Detective April 1938.jpg

Thrilling Detective October 1938.jpg

Some cool “finds” Love that April Thrilling Detective!