• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Standard-bearer characters of the next gen

28 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Fair point.  Although I wonder what the standard bearer for the future would be, due to the increasing popularity of the vegetarian option?

It will be a Vegan 🌱  world eventually.

8 hours ago, OMGitsCornbread said:

Garbage characters.

From a dumpster-fire time at a garbage company.

For those who take issue with my calling Marvel a garbage company, yes, Marvel used to be good. Used to be. Decades ago.

Sincere question here.

What was the reaction in 1959 when Hal Jordan was introduced as a new Green Lantern or when Barry Allen was introduced as the Flash in 1956 after Alan Scott and Jay Garrick were last seen as The Green Lantern and the Flash in 1951?

25 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Sincere question here.

What was the reaction in 1959 when Hal Jordan was introduced as a new Green Lantern or when Barry Allen was introduced as the Flash in 1956 after Alan Scott and Jay Garrick were last seen as The Green Lantern and the Flash in 1951?

That is a very good question.  But I would tend to lean toward, a different time, a different reader mentality.   There wasn't a whole lot of people out there, putting away runs, as you know it was disposable entertainment, many lost copies lost to garbage cans, paper drives etc.  

Also, I would tend to think readership didn't transcend from childhood to adulthood like it does today.  An adult collector in the 1950's was an oddity/minority, certainly not like today, where it is the majority.  The kids in the 1950's probably didn't care, or just saw the new uniforms (Golden age GL and Flash much different looking than Silver Age roll outs), and picked them up without missing a beat.  The years of gap between appearances may also play a part.   I dunno....