• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's travel to the PLANET STORIES Universe
1 1

132 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2024 at 9:49 PM, waaaghboss said:

1.thumb.jpg.7118d4837bb000e7a02105eb53b61c8d.jpg

I guess the lesson is to not buy books at shows until things settle down?

That had a huge chunk out of the back cover (and possibly some trimming) but presents very well for that price. I never look on eBay these days but I probably would have bid more than that.

On 6/3/2024 at 8:56 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Finding sharp copies of these has been fun.  

IMG_8224.jpeg

That should have been a comic cover how many would they have sold :luhv:

On 6/3/2024 at 10:25 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

That had a huge chunk out of the back cover (and possibly some trimming) but presents very well for that price. I never look on eBay these days but I probably would have bid more than that.

I don’t check eBay for pulps either. But slip that into a nice shiny Mylar and I would be over the hills happy at that price or even a little more! 

On 6/4/2024 at 11:06 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Here is another of the most desirable covers

I once had the Yakima of this one but let it go

IMG_8238.jpeg

Such a classic cover!!!  Very nice shape on this great pulp!!!  Nice dark colors on both Pulps....

On 6/4/2024 at 1:06 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Here is another of the most desirable covers

I once had the Yakima of this one but let it go

IMG_8238.jpeg

CGC is completely drunk on "classic cover." Somebody, please shepherd them to sobriety and rein them in before they ruin pulpdom with their facile overzealousness. 

On 6/6/2024 at 7:53 PM, Sarg said:

CGC is completely drunk on "classic cover." Somebody, please shepherd them to sobriety and rein them in before they ruin pulpdom with their facile overzealousness. 

I’ve similarly called them out for handing out the “classic cover” designation like Tootsie Roll Midgees on Halloween, but this is one of the ones I almost agree on: the whole BEM (bug-eyed monsters) phenomenon in pulps surely should score at least one classic cover, and this or Captain Future winter ‘43 are the obvious choices. :juggle:

Pulp collecting is still very new to many. Many of these “classic cover” CGC label notes are far too soon. Doesn’t there have to be a public concensus to have these designated as such? Yes, there already is on a number of them. But is every “cool” cover a “classic”?

Then again this designation is very personal and varies from collector to collector. Personally, I don’t consider either of the two previously shown Planets on this page “classic”. Great covers but not ground breaking or any more special than many others in the run. We all have our favorites and everyone’s are different.

On 6/7/2024 at 11:21 AM, Robot Man said:

Pulp collecting is still very new to many. Many of these “classic cover” CGC label notes are far too soon. Doesn’t there have to be a public concensus to have these designated as such? Yes, there already is on a number of them. But is every “cool” cover a “classic”?

Then again this designation is very personal and varies from collector to collector. Personally, I don’t consider either of the two previously shown Planets on this page “classic”. Great covers but not ground breaking or any more special than many others in the run. We all have our favorites and everyone’s are different.

I'd be down with a "Cool cover!" label note. :cool: