• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My slab has moisture bubbles!
1 1

6 posts in this topic

So I pulled out some slabs I hadn't looked at in quite a while and 1 of the 5 has moisture bubbles in it. What can I do??  Will CGC re-slab for free?  Will they re-grade the comic?  I'm sending in some new books so I could throw this in as well. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks all!

tick.jpg

That is an affect produced from the inner and outer wells. There are many threads about this (Newtonian effect), it is not moisture and will not affect the book, but is unsightly.

Ohhhhhhhhh that's the newtonian effect. Sorry I'm new here but I've seen those complaints. I wasn't sure what people were referring to. Yes, it's unsightly. I hate it and I want it fixed. Will CGC re-slab it for free if I send it back to them or what's the fix?

Thanks!

Edited by Crow331

8 minutes ago, Crow331 said:

Ohhhhhhhhh that's the newtonian effect. Sorry I'm new here but I've seen those complaints. I wasn't sure what people were referring to. Yes, it's unsightly. I hate it and I want it fixed. Will CGC re-slab it for free if I send it back to them or what's the fix?

Thanks!

I think their stance is this is not worthy of them fixing for free as there's no guarantee the new slab will not have the same or worse issues. I use got back some comics I had graded. The first group I got back weeks ago look good, but had a few small rings. The comics I got back this week look great. I have not been able to find rings anywhere and I've tilted and looked at them every way imaginable.

Sounds like you don't really view your slabbed comics regularly, so the slab is 99% for protection, versus 1% aesthetics.  Since it has been suggested that they are fine, just the Newtonian effect (2 dissimilar plastics refracting light at different angles), you might just put them back in the box and be happy that they are safe.

CGC will not pay to re-slab due to Newton rings.  They would have to re-slab every book they ever slabbed.  Maybe someday they will figure out a way around it.