• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Backing Board Position

6 posts in this topic

Welcome To The Boards!!!

I personally have never placed the board in the middle of the book and have never seen that method used in my 41 years of collecting but it is obviously done, if you are going to use a board in the middle you will need a board that is buffered on both sides since the board will be touching two pages.

If you are going to take those measures to protect/store you books be sure you do not skimp on the bags, use Mylar.

This is all of the info I was able to find for you...

"Comic Backing Boards come in different thicknesses and acid-free properties. The basic purpose for using a backing board is to give the comic some stiffness, which helps keep the comic pages from bending, creasing or wrinkling. When a backing is placed in the center of the comic it protects the comic book spine from crushing. The second purpose for using a backing board in a comic is its potential to neutralize acid in the comic book paper. Acid in the paper that the comic is printed can cause the deterioration of the comic. Using an acid-free backing in your comic can potentially trap and neutralize acid in the paper."

I get in a lot of books stored this way. While most of them exhibit little to no damage, I occasionally see stress to the staples on some (especially older books) where there are slight tears at the staples.