• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you get your older comics from?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

Any particular app, website or method to find these sales?  

Thanks

Craigslist for garage sales; estatesales.net for estate sales... although both have been very dry for many months sadly 

3 hours ago, Tafkap said:

Any particular app, website or method to find these sales?  

Thanks

Some days, this makes me crazy. If there was a simple "App" or methodology to buy low and sell high, I would be amazed. Collecting anything ( regardless of what it is) is something that can't be assured as a profitable thing in advance. Those of us that did, really did because we loved collecting what we had. It was not a plan for the bulk of us.  We just got the stuff.  If we kept it, over the years and never sold it, we do find people who really love it too but those newsstands are long gone. The collectors got old.  You can buy it but it will never be the same as a kid, bellied down in the sand with a copy of "Challengers of the unknown " on a beach somewhere in the past with an Orange Crush in 1958. Sometimes that kid took it home, and hid it from Mom, consumer of all collectibles and that comic grew in value because we weren't the only ones who though purple uniforms were cool. 

No apps at all. I don't mean to be unkind. You had to be there. 

6 hours ago, littledoom said:

Craigslist for garage sales; estatesales.net for estate sales... although both have been very dry for many months sadly 

estatesales.net is pretty good, but yes, there's been very little (of anything good, anyway) for a while. If you can find local estate sales companies in your area, many of them have email listservs you can get on.

7 minutes ago, rumrunner71 said:

estatesales.net is pretty good, but yes, there's been very little (of anything good, anyway) for a while. If you can find local estate sales companies in your area, many of them have email listservs you can get on.

Thanks

59 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

the shop I worked at goes by overstreet as well

Seems odd with how quickly things can change.  There would seem to be some opportunities in that.  

5 hours ago, Tafkap said:

Seems odd with how quickly things can change.  There would seem to be some opportunities in that.  

Not really, 99% of books sell for guide or less. Its just the keys, scarce GA and very high grade books that need a bit more attention but they aren't found aplenty in local comic shops anyway.

26 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Not really, 99% of books sell for guide or less. Its just the keys, scarce GA and very high grade books that need a bit more attention but they aren't found aplenty in local comic shops anyway.

I get what he is saying.  Books jump in price and guides always miss the influx of pricing based on speculation, movie news, etc.  Even Overstreet has been way off on rare books or niche items like PCH.

37 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

I get what he is saying.  Books jump in price and guides always miss the influx of pricing based on speculation, movie news, etc.  Even Overstreet has been way off on rare books or niche items like PCH.

I know, I made sure to mention the case of rare books. And usually you wont find rare books in an LCS. I never found PHC at an LCS. For the past 20 years, if someone comes across any old comics they think they hit a gold mine and look for the best price.

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Well specifically I "sold" 5 copies of Thor 337 a few months back  (probably be 9.4 to 9.6, maybe a 9.8) for basically $50 a piece; it was actually in trade to have other comics pressed and sent out to CGC.

He then sold them at his store for anywhere between $90 - $100 each; depending on if the customers were "members" of his store.

I could've bought those copies of Thor at $90 - $100, had them graded, and sold them for anywhere between $150 - $220 each; the prices are even a little higher now.

And if any of them, by chance, would grade a 9.8, that copy could sell for $500; even more now.     

10 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

I could've bought those copies of Thor at $90 - $100, had them graded, and sold them for anywhere between $150 - $220 each; the prices are even a little higher now.

Doesn't that come out to a rather small margin if they are 9.4? I worked in a shop and I can assure you selling all my inventory for $100 each now is way more advantageous than forking out more money and waiting months to eventually sell them at $150. 

Edited by William-James88

3 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Doesn't that come out to a rather small margin if they are 9.4? I worked in a shop and I can assure you selling all my inventory for $100 each now is way more advantageous than forking out more money and waiting months to eventually sell them at $150. 

Yup that would be a small margin at 9.4.  However, I also had 4 copies of mine graded and they turned out to be 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 and 9.8.  I didn't really see any difference between the copies I had graded against the ones I bartered with.  My 9.8's I sold for about $500 each on Ebay.  But I was being conservative on the grade.  So, yeah, it really all depends on the grade.  But in any case he was selling them below Ebay prices.    

54 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

Yup that would be a small margin at 9.4.  However, I also had 4 copies of mine graded and they turned out to be 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 and 9.8.  I didn't really see any difference between the copies I had graded against the ones I bartered with.  My 9.8's I sold for about $500 each on Ebay.  But I was being conservative on the grade.  So, yeah, it really all depends on the grade.  But in any case he was selling them below Ebay prices.    

I totally get that. I still think the shop was just looking into getting money now rather than later, even if it's a possible bigger payout. Then again, that comic happens to be in the 1 percent of comics that could be worth looking more into for a shop. Looking at Thor comics in general for instance, you would be fine pricing them all at guide and only looking into the ones which the guide has a special notation for instead of searching for each one to see what they sold on e-bay for.