• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can this crease be completely removed with a QuickPress ?
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Here is the context :

My comic did not pass the CGC pre-screen of 9.8.

I examined it and found the flaw.

A crease that looks to the right of Spidey's head.

I was thinking of resubmitting to CGC with a CCS QuickPress and a 9.6 pre-screen.

So my questions are :

Will the QuickPress completely remove the crease?

If not, do I have a chance at 9.6 if the rest of the comic has no other flaws ?

Thanks for your input :)

20200719_230558.jpg

20200719_230246.jpg

20200719_230352.jpg

I can't help you on your question, but I have a related question.  Has anyone from CGC explained in a past thread exactly what the difference is between a Standard Press and a Quick Press?

I had heard that the Quick Press was one shot through, and if something didn't come out, too bad.  The Standard Press would include a retry.  Then I thought I recall someone from CGC refuting that description. 

Also heard it was that one was cleaned and pressed, the other just pressed.  Then saw that refuted.  So what is the definition of these services??

Edited by Lightning55

I'm still stuck on why someone would want to get a copy of such a common book certified.  There are 2,527 currently certified of which 20 are 9.9s and 1,357 are 9.8s.  I personally wouldn't pay cover price for it (and wouldn't when it came out) because there are literally millions of this book out there.   Personally, I think you're throwing money away but that's just my opinion.  2c

6 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I'm still stuck on why someone would want to get a copy of such a common book certified.  There are 2,527 currently certified of which 20 are 9.9s and 1,357 are 9.8s.  I personally wouldn't pay cover price for it (and wouldn't when it came out) because there are literally millions of this book out there.   Personally, I think you're throwing money away but that's just my opinion.  2c

I understand 100%. I bought it cover price when it came out and just want to sell it to get silver age comics :)

A 9.8 is worth the hassle for sure, 9.6 barely and 9.4 forget it lol

This is still  nice comic to display in gold. If I have a couple of 9.8 in he lot I will keep one for my spidey collection.

It might be common but still many spidey collector want it.

7 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

(worship)

1 hour ago, migmtl76 said:

I understand 100%. I bought it cover price when it came out and just want to sell it to get silver age comics :)

This is still  nice comic to display in gold. If I have a couple of 9.8 in he lot I will keep one for my spidey collection.

It appears the book is suffering from a heavy finger bend. The part that really bothers me is on the front cover---I don't like the looks of that wrinkled area. What's the value of this book in 9.6? Is it worth the gamble?   (shrug)

My gut says,  that won't entirely come out and you likely won't get a 9.8 

My gut has grown considerable since Covid started,  but sadly,  that doesn't make it correct more often. 

I'm not an expert,  but The Lions Den really has a handle on restoration / grading questions and that's who I would listen to.  

56 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

My gut says,  that won't entirely come out and you likely won't get a 9.8 

My gut has grown considerable since Covid started,  but sadly,  that doesn't make it correct more often. 

I'm not an expert,  but The Lions Den really has a handle on restoration / grading questions and that's who I would listen to.  

I'm not saying it's impossible, but my question is whether it's worth the time and money...  

4 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

In this case then, I think you have to accept the act of slabbing as purely for your enjoyment, not a value increasing proposition.  Which is completely fine.  (thumbsu

39 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm not saying it's impossible, but my question is whether it's worth the time and money...  

I decided to leave it raw. One day if I get a pressing machine and do the pressing myself, I will give it a go :)

Pressing seems like an art. Not sure how difficult it is for minor stuff.

12 hours ago, BeepBeep said:

https://www.cgccomics.com/ccs-pressing/

QuickPress is a fast and inexpensive alternative to our multi-step standard Pressing service. It includes the removal of the same defects as regular pressing (dents, bends, crunches, rippling, warping, spine rolls and indentions) and includes dry cleaning as well. For expediency, QuickPress comics only pass through the process once; any remaining defects will not be further treated as they normally would during the full pressing process.

Yes, that is where I saw the definition originally.  Thanks for reminding me.  The kink in that was that in a thread a CCS presser said that if something doesn't come out in a Quick Press that he thought could on a re-press, he runs it through again.  That directly contradicted what was in the FAQ. 

It might have been in an old thread that popped up in a Search when I was originally searching for the answer to that question, so I don't know the time period of the thread, or when/if the FAQ was revised.  Just left me with no clear idea of the difference.