• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bags/boards for a new collector of modern comics
2 2

29 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, jokiing said:

Commission an artist or 5 year old to decorate those white boxes. (shrug)

One thing I could is put a box in a decorative box...

Are there comic boxes shorter than short boxes that hold maybe 100 comics?

Prandom Large Foldable Storage Bin with Lid [1-Pack] Linen Fabric Decorative Storage Box Organizer Containers Basket Cube with Handles Divider for Bedroom Closet Office Living Room (17.7x11.8x11.8") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KPQYV4Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Si2fFb2ERHG25

Edited by JCarlson

Obviously, E. Gerber Mylar is the ultimate in storage solutions but the cost is crazy if you are re-bagging an entire collection.  If you are just starting, and buying only moderns off the shelf, then bagging everything in Mylar right off the bat would be the way to go.  Buying direct from Gerber is only warranted IMO if you are buying in decent bulk as the shipping is a major factor.  Call them and ask about the shipping as I believe the shipping quotes is a bit misleading in how they do it.  Buying from someone else is actually easier, and in most cases cheaper, as those online sellers are buying in mass quantities and shouldering all that major cost themselves.  But of course selling at a profit as they are a business.  I buy my Mylites off ebay myself.  

I prefer Standard size over Current but that is personal preference as they give your books more corner protection.  Some just like the cleaner look of Current bags as you see less backing board, but of course, that means less protection of those corners.  I have accidentally wacked books against a table or something turning around with a book(s) in my hand and hit the corner.  If the comics were in a current bag/board the book would have been damaged for sure.

Fullbacks are amazing, but as someone else said, get very heavy very quickly especially if paired with a Mylite 2 or 4.  If you are just storing these, and not moving around a lot like to shows to sell, this should not be an issue.  Half backs are pretty flimsy but made from the virgin wood which is why you are buying them in the first place.  You could couple a halfback with another regular board behind it for added rigidity, but at that point you might as well just use a fullback.

As far as changing bags every 5 years that is not needed on moderns IMO.  The paper is of much higher quality than the newsprint of old.  In the case of old books, changing the bags and boards regularly would be optimal as the off-gassing of the paper and inks, and the acids leeching out of the paper, break down regular poly bags pretty quick sometimes.  If the bags are wrinkling and changing color and the board is turning, I change the setup.

so in my case, I only buy one book new off the shelf, immortal hulk. I have my mylite2s for it, but since I am only getting one series a month, it's been a relatively cheap to b/b them in the gerber products.

if I were buying lots of stuff, I would tend to agree it would be not ideal or cost effective. i also use them on my older stuff, but I too am only buying a few things.

bottom line, if you are buying very little it's not a big deal to use the better b/b combo

On 7/21/2020 at 5:36 PM, ExNihilo said:

I've gone standard bag and boards for moderns.  My oldest books have been in bags for 20+ years.  I think storage climate plays a part in how quickly bags start to deteriorate.  I've bought some older books from people in bags that clearly needed to be replaced (you could tell based on texture and color).  All I'm saying is that I think the notion of changing every 5 years is a bit preposterous.  I've transitioned to Mylites/FBs/Archival bags for any books of value.  Beyond that, the next step are the few graded books I own.

I've recently started sorting/organizing books purchased in the last 20+ years into the already sorted stuff from before. I'm sure I haven't done this since I started having kids, and my oldest is 28, so there. In the sorted stuff, most everything hadn't been touched in at least 25 years, and there was no reason to replace any of it - some I did, just because I was messing with it and had it match up with the newer purchases.

On 7/21/2020 at 5:36 PM, ExNihilo said:

And for what it's worth, for my modern books, I use Current size Thick bags.  I found the normal current size bags to be too tight, especially for 96 page anniversary books.  The thick bags are perfect for two books back to back separated by two boards (which is great since I store all my books back to back because it puts less stress on the spines).

You are the first person I've come across that does this, too. My main reason is the spine side tends to be "thicker", so alternating which side has the spine makes things fit more evenly in the box. And cuts down on the number of bag/boards needed, which is important when you have 20 or 30 thousand comics.

Not sure how others feel about these , but recently I have started using some of these.s-l640.jpg.3ae6bf7175d4dd7f67844699e15126f8.jpg

I still have most of my collection in standard white boxes,  but you said you were not interested in those. They do make Character or Designer versions of those that might suit your needs.32b3d2ff747e3a253deab98be0dd609a.thumb.jpg.13f60755ccfb9e2b35be35d2d26a2432.jpga878ae60a42137a3db502e67427faa74.jpg.6d619e6635f30e5f736e21df44b5faeb.jpg

It is all about deciding the aesthetic you are looking for and how to work with the most protective option for you and your application. 

f8ea8bebd1daabe529d23972cf8983ef.jpg.14f847333695fd3fa25a5a915a3895e5.jpg42d4ee6243e0142a753936400535096a.jpg.1af39daa9e13cfeacf8ab2f0ebc691ba.jpg

2 hours ago, ttfitz said:

You are the first person I've come across that does this, too. My main reason is the spine side tends to be "thicker", so alternating which side has the spine makes things fit more evenly in the box. And cuts down on the number of bag/boards needed, which is important when you have 20 or 30 thousand comics.

Exactly this.  When you've got thousands of books, you can at least save by only having to buy half as many bags.  I would single board and save additional money that way, but there's always a glossy and flat side to the backing board and I haven't seen anything that says the flat side of the backing board is okay for long term storage.  So until then, I use two backing boards with the glossy side against the back of each book.

As for storage, if you have the space, putting your collection on a bookshelf looks really clean.  I like the Room showcase thread for ideas.

5 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Exactly this.  When you've got thousands of books, you can at least save by only having to buy half as many bags.  I would single board and save additional money that way, but there's always a glossy and flat side to the backing board and I haven't seen anything that says the flat side of the backing board is okay for long term storage.  So until then, I use two backing boards with the glossy side against the back of each book.

I've been using E. Gerber Halfbacks for the latest - bought in bulk they are as cheap as coated boards - which don't have a glossy side.

But yeah, if you are using those, probably better for 2 boards.

On 7/21/2020 at 2:34 PM, JCarlson said:

Additional question: what do people use within their boxes as fillers to keep the comics upright when the box is only partially full?

I’m currently using squares of this soft, plasticy foam that came in some shipping boxes. But I’m all out. 

Put the comics in lying flat until you have enough to upright. Not sure how it would work in plywood, I use this for the regular white boxes.