• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So are we all going to pretend...

197 posts in this topic

Red Hook and awe4one want me to believe that Jason presses every book. That seems to me to be a ridiculous business model.

Never said that...but since it's routinely acknowledged that some of his comics are pressed, all his comics are suspect...

Would you buy a comic from CKeys? Some CGC comics he has sold on eBay had blue labels...

Jim

No, I wouldn't buy from CKeys, because he's repeatedly demonstrated that he's a crook.

I believe Jason when he says that if someone asks him if a book has been pressed, he'll tell them, just as I believed Richard Evans from Bedrock City when he said the same thing in SD this year(at Esquire's panel). Two posters in this thread have accused JE of not revealing the extent of his pressing in his post in the FF3 thread. They don't present it as an assumption, but as a given. But how can either poster possibly know that? The quote I copied into my previous post seems entirely possible, logical, and a good business model.

I've got two of these Batmans on my watch list. If I happen to win one or both, I'll ask Jason if they've been pressed. That way if I ever sell them down the line, I'll be able to reveal that same info to the next guy.

I was half-kiddingly called a CGC apologist recently on the boards. I probably also come off as a Jason Ewert apologist. I'm really neither. I just refuse to fall into the trap of thinking the absolute worst about everyone. It's the dark side, and I'm just not going there.

But how can either poster possibly know that?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just refuse to fall into the trap of thinking the absolute worst about everyone. It's the dark side, and I'm just not going there.

you know, I want to think the best of people in this hobby as well. but I've been let down time, after time, after time... and really it's just starting to snow ball. The only protection you have is to arm yourself with as much information as you can and soldier forward. comics isn't everything.

you know, I want to think the best of people in this hobby as well. but I've been let down time, after time, after time... and really it's just starting to snow ball. The only protection you have is to arm yourself with as much information as you can and soldier forward. comics isn't everything.

I'm all for having as much information as possible, but I keep reading disinformation, and assumptions presented as fact. That doesn't serve to protect us, it unfairly disparages the reputation of a company or individual.

Regardless, the Batmans are cool. I hope the prices don't get too crazy.

Me too. I don't understand why people think that a couple of small spine stresses automatically keep a book out of 9.4 confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe for SA, but not newer comics.

893naughty-thumb.giffrustrated.gif Comics should all be graded by the same standard.

Me too. I don't understand why people think that a couple of small spine stresses automatically keep a book out of 9.4 confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe for SA, but not newer comics.

893naughty-thumb.giffrustrated.gif Comics should all be graded by the same standard.

Should. But clearly aren't by CGC. poke2.gif

I've got two of these Batmans on my watch list. If I happen to win one or both, I'll ask Jason if they've been pressed. That way if I ever sell them down the line, I'll be able to reveal that same info to the next guy.

Nearmint;

Shouldn't you be asking Jason this question BEFORE you start bidding on the books so that you can make a fully informed purchasing decision. Your approach sounds like closing the barn doors after the horses have already escaped.

As for your possible argument that pressing doesn't really matter to you, this only applies if you are planning to keep the books for yourself with no intention of ever reselling. Your statement above, however, indicates that you have already factor in the possibility of resale at some future point in time. The issue of pressing them should matter to you because it could affect the eventual price you get in return, since disclosed pressing will matter to a lot of potential buyers.

I would just find it impossible if every single one of these books were truly unpressed. Better send Jason a quick email before you finalize your top end bids and be kind enough to let us know what his answer is.

Red Hook and awe4one want me to believe that Jason presses every book. That seems to me to be a ridiculous business model.

Never said that...but since it's routinely acknowledged that some of his comics are pressed, all his comics are suspect...

Would you buy a comic from CKeys? Some CGC comics he has sold on eBay had blue labels...

Jim

I never said that either NM.

Problem is, when you press "some" of your books, then they all fall under potential suspicion. If Rafael Palmiero told you he took steriods in 1996 and 1998, then you'd always wonder about 1997 and 2000 on. I'm just pointing out something that any rational mind would consider imho.

This is the whole problem, and that's why dealers are having a hard time admitting it. Once they admit to pressing a book, where do you draw the line in your assumptions? They've stopped seeing the books as anything but commodities to be massaged up in grade, by any means possible. They are the ones that have created the dilemma, not us.

The only way out of this, ultimately....and they'll either figure this out by themselves either sooner or later.....will be to start labeling their own stock as pressed on non-pressed.

Jump ahead two years from now....it's 2007... the media has gotten a hold of all this and the average buying public is in the know.....CGC has emerged battered but better for it all..and is listing pressing on the label "as detected to the best of their ability"..and Jason Ewert is selling books on Ebay with descriptions that include the following....

"Professionally Pressed by Matt Nelson: Certificate of Authenticity included - Work Guaranteed for the Life of the Book".

See, I'd actually feel BETTER about buying a book from someone like Ewert (I will not at this time) if all the cards were on the table, I knew what I was getting, and I knew the work was done by a professional like Matt or Susan.

What these guys are refusing to accept is that this issue is not going away....and that the only solution will be to ultimately forego some of those big profits in the short run to reestablish their own crediblity and the stabilizing of their business operations in the long run. But they are so obsessed with the short term, and so fearful of losing some sales, that they can't see this. They are pissinng away their most valuable asset....credibility and trustworthiness.

Shortsighted, greedy and unimaginative. Not a good combination for the successful businessman.

nice thoughts Hook. But, not to stretch an analogy too far, but, you are asking for a radical change in human nature similar to what has led to teh Katrina disaster. NO DEALERS will opt now to "come clean' because at some point in the future thay may be sorry. Their best judgement today is to keep silent and (umm) press on ahead business as usual. With Katrina, lots of people made their best guesses as to whether to stay, or go, send help immediately, or give it a day to stabilize. In that disaster, many people sadly mae the wrond decision, added to the thousands for whom OTHER peoples decisions doomed them to the state they find themselves today a week later.

again, not to draw a parallel - - - just human nature at work. dealers will "always" opt for the easy money ans will NEVER give up a good thing merely cause its the right thing to do, or MIGHT prove to have been ahead of the curve "someday". I just dont see CGC including pressing in 2007 or in 2017...... I wish they would, but....

Red, your Palmiero analogy doesn't work for me. Yes, if any athlete said they took any kind of performance enhancing drug in '96 and '98, I'd definitely wonder about '97. Comics are different. A signifcant percentage will never benefit from pressing, so you can't assume that because one book is pressed in a dealer's inventory, that they all are.

You talk about dealers having a hard time admitting they press books. Jason has already admitted it, right here on the boards. He's also stated that he'll reveal if a book has been pressed to anyone who asks. So, unless we have proof that he's lied to someone about a book, there's no reason for his entire inventory to "fall under suspicion."

You also talk about the issue not going away, as if we're leading up to a major shift in the hobby when dealers suspected of pressing will lose credibility, and will presumably achieve lower bids on their books. I just don't see any evidence of this. Look at the high bidders on these Batmans. Serpi certainly knows about pressing, and a few others have been buying and selling long enough that I'd be amazed if they weren't well versed as well.

Nearmint;

Shouldn't you be asking Jason this question BEFORE you start bidding on the books so that you can make a fully informed purchasing decision. Your approach sounds like closing the barn doors after the horses have already escaped.

As for your possible argument that pressing doesn't really matter to you, this only applies if you are planning to keep the books for yourself with no intention of ever reselling. Your statement above, however, indicates that you have already factor in the possibility of resale at some future point in time. The issue of pressing them should matter to you because it could affect the eventual price you get in return, since disclosed pressing will matter to a lot of potential buyers.

I would just find it impossible if every single one of these books were truly unpressed. Better send Jason a quick email before you finalize your top end bids and be kind enough to let us know what his answer is.

These books would be for my permanent collection. I'd only sell in an emergency. But you're right, I might as well ask ahead of time.