• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RallyRd - that old idea about partial ownership of comics is a reality (updated July 21, 2021)
6 6

575 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Gonna hate myself for asking....

but what is Acorns and Robin Hood?:preach:

Acorns is an automatic investment platform (app on your phone) that rounds up all your debit card purchases to the nearest dollar and invests that amount in stocks/funds/bonds, whatever.  There are about 5 levels of "risk" and you choose which you're comfortable with.

Robinhood is a standard stock exchange platform (app on your phone) that you supply with bank account info to transfer money over - buy stocks NYSE/NASDAQ and pay zero commissions.  Robinhood also has cryptocurrency and a process to get fractional shares (especially interesting for millenials who don't have $1,500+ to buy a full share of Amazon or Google).

Acorn and Robin Hood are just investment firms similar to TD Ameritrade.  The difference being that they also offer stocks that are less desirable and not found through traditional firms due to volatility like Mary Jane stocks and lower value penny stocks. 

Valiant Man definitely has a WAY better explanation of the differences. 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

15 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Acorn and Robin Hood are just investment firms similar to TD Ameritrade.  The difference being that they also offer stocks that are less desirable and not found through traditional firms due to volatility like Mary Jane stocks and lower value penny stocks.

Another difference is that TD Ameritrade has one of the least user-friendly apps I've ever seen.  The app choices are:  "Add to position" "Reduce position" "Close position"

Robinhood dumbs it down so much in the app that a 10-year-old could invest in stocks (and probably there are some that do).  The app choices are:  "TRADE" which has "BUY" and "SELL"

Acorns isn't free, but it has a $1/month option that it just takes off the same debit card that it is using for the round-up-to-the-nearest-dollar investments.  You can also set up an automatic investment ($10/month, or some other amount). Acorns is a "set it and forget it" app, doesn't require any monitoring or activity.

Edited by valiantman

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Another difference is that TD Ameritrade has one of the least user-friendly apps I've ever seen.  The app choices are:  "Add to position" "Reduce position" "Close position"

Robinhood dumbs it down so much in the app that a 10-year-old could invest in stocks (and probably there are some that do).  The app choices are:  "TRADE" which has "BUY" and "SELL"

Acorns isn't free, but it has a $1/month option that it just takes off the same debit card that it is using for the round-up-to-the-nearest-dollar investments.  You can also set up an automatic investment ($10/month, or some other amount). Acorns is a "set it and forget it" app, doesn't require any monitoring or activity.

Colour me intrigued....hm

11 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
31 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Colour me intrigued....hm

Robinhood literally lets people "put $25 in Google, put $50 in Amazon, put $25 in Bitcoin" from their phone if they have $100 in the bank.

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Robinhood literally lets people "put $25 in Google, put $50 in Amazon, put $25 in Bitcoin" from their phone if they have $100 in the bank.

This is what immediately came to mind....

9C840950-1660-45D9-B228-8CDF530134CD.gif

Just now, wombat said:
10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That sounds a kabillion times better than rallyrd.

Sure - but if you always wanted to put $100 into a childhood grail comic book, it might be on RallyRd and it's not on Robinhood.  In both cases, you hold nothing in your hands besides an app that shows where your $100 went.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Sure - but if you always wanted to put $100 into a childhood grail comic book, it might be on RallyRd and it's not on Robinhood.  In both cases, you hold nothing in your hands besides an app that shows where your $100 went.

Pretty sure that $100 on Robinhood buys you more than $70 worth of shares, tho.

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I would still argue you aren't even buying a share of a comic. So you don't even have that. But even if you think you do, I wonder how you feel when it gets sold. Are you now depressed that you lost a share in your childhood dream? 

Of course there are other differences between these as well. 

22 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:
25 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Or, when you sell a $100 comic on Heritage and get to keep $70 for yourself, right? :grin:

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:
28 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:
32 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Or, when you sell a $100 comic on Heritage and get to keep $70 for yourself, right? :grin:

Absolutely!!  One of the main reasons I always warn people to invest in investments and to collect collectibles.

17 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What if a new OO collection surfaced, and you could buy into the collection as a whole?  Buy shares of the complete raw collection, and reap your rewards after CGC submission & liquidation.^^

Seems unlikely that any of the big dealers around here are looking for $100 investors to go in on a collection, but if you had $100,000 they'd probably work with you. 

Just now, valiantman said:

Seems unlikely that any of the big dealers around here are looking for $100 investors to go in on a collection, but if you had $100,000 they'd probably work with you. 

I was thinking more that Rally bought the collection outright ....

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I was thinking more that Rally bought the collection outright ....

RallyRd did something similar for 1st Edition Pokemon cards.  They bought a full set of PSA 10 1999 Pokemon 1st Edition cards, sold shares.  The cards were already graded, though.  Same with the comics.  They're working with Zurzolo for sure on the graded comics.