• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ENOCH BOLLES ....and other fine Pin-Up art
4 4

167 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2024 at 1:06 AM, dickymoe74 said:

Wow,  If you do end up sending this into CGC, please share the graded book if you can.  This looks really nice and should be worth the CGC grading.....  I love this cover too!  Nice job!

I'm considering sending it in. If I do, I will share the results. Thank you!

Edited by Artifiction

On 7/21/2024 at 1:06 AM, dickymoe74 said:

Wow,  If you do end up sending this into CGC, please share the graded book if you can.  This looks really nice and should be worth the CGC grading.....  I love this cover too!  Nice job!

They are quite stunning the brighter they are.

That might be slightly amped but looks like a great copy. Would love to see what it comes back at :cloud9:

On 8/12/2024 at 7:36 PM, Darwination said:

This one has some edge shadow but came in a 2 for 20 lot, great PQ.  The other one not so much :canofworms: (although it does have an article from Anita Loos)

20240812_211927.thumb.jpg.a7a74eeb7c50da6d8d89965aced8d8aa.jpg

Nice, Darwination!  I love this one, amazing!!!!  Great condition and nice popping colors!  I've never seen this book, thanks for sharing....  Is this 1920's?

June 1927.  The Smart Set is probably best remembered as a literary magazine, but it had a varied history and ownership.  I used to hunt early mid 20s issues for early Dashiell Hammett but never had much luck finding them under the radar.  Early on it was the first mag to publish O. Henry and later published Jack London, Theodore Dreiser, Sinclair Lewis, Eugene O' Neil, Hammett, and others.  H.L. Mencken and George Jean Nathan were editors for many years, and the mag has a place in pulp history because the stories that weren't "worthy" went to The Parisienne, Saucy Stories, and then Black Mask, that last one which just might be the greatest pulp of all time (for us that like our pulp hardboiled).  Mencken and Nathan left in 1924 when they had a piece pulled by the publisher making fun of the nationwide grief of President Warren Harding's death.  They went on to The American Mercury, another excellent and famous lit. mag, and Smart Set was bought by William Randolph Hearst who converted it to a big and beautiful magazine with similar production values to his Cosmopolitan.  Henry Clive started doing covers immediately, and those issues tend to be much in demand. The interior illustration is great, too, but a lot of the stories are in the true story/confessions sort of vein but there's also some good celeb articles.  It was far more popular than it ever was before as a big slick but died with the crash of 1929.  I'm sure I'd have more of them if they weren't so pricey or if I was better at keeping an eye out.  Many of the Clives are absolute stunners.  I've never seen this one for sale but would love to find it.

smart_set_192507.jpg.d0d2ee253ed22de5f4c8510f18ac7306.jpg

On 8/16/2024 at 7:05 PM, Darwination said:

June 1927.  The Smart Set is probably best remembered as a literary magazine, but it had a varied history and ownership.  I used to hunt early mid 20s issues for early Dashiell Hammett but never had much luck finding them under the radar.  Early on it was the first mag to publish O. Henry and later published Jack London, Theodore Dreiser, Sinclair Lewis, Eugene O' Neil, Hammett, and others.  H.L. Mencken and George Jean Nathan were editors for many years, and the mag has a place in pulp history because the stories that weren't "worthy" went to The Parisienne, Saucy Stories, and then Black Mask, that last one which just might be the greatest pulp of all time (for us that like our pulp hardboiled).  Mencken and Nathan left in 1924 when they had a piece pulled by the publisher making fun of the nationwide grief of President Warren Harding's death.  They went on to The American Mercury, another excellent and famous lit. mag, and Smart Set was bought by William Randolph Hearst who converted it to a big and beautiful magazine with similar production values to his Cosmopolitan.  Henry Clive started doing covers immediately, and those issues tend to be much in demand. The interior illustration is great, too, but a lot of the stories are in the true story/confessions sort of vein but there's also some good celeb articles.  It was far more popular than it ever was before as a big slick but died with the crash of 1929.  I'm sure I'd have more of them if they weren't so pricey or if I was better at keeping an eye out.  Many of the Clives are absolute stunners.  I've never seen this one for sale but would love to find it.

smart_set_192507.jpg.d0d2ee253ed22de5f4c8510f18ac7306.jpg

Very Cool,  wow, this one is another great and amazing cover.  I will keep an eye out for the book.