• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ENOCH BOLLES ....and other fine Pin-Up art
3 3

108 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2024 at 8:18 PM, Darwination said:

Enoch

TattleTalesv03n01(1934-05.Nuregal)coverBolles.thumb.jpg.ef65a9650c01ba77da22a69ea8e4a8eb.jpg

There's the star, @waaaghboss was talking about in the girlie pulp thread the other day, but this time it's a cut-out.  I've noticed a few different star stamps since he mentioned it.

and other fine pin-up art - from a lot of 24 Judge I picked up recently, most in very solid shape, lovely haul.  John Holmgren here,  a little bit more dinginess on this one and a few scuffs, but I love it

Judgev090n2329(1926-06-19.Leslie-Judge)coverJohnHolmgren.thumb.jpg.c02e04573f1aa134bcd15bc2ac5fbd97.jpg

and another Holmgren, again with the killer background

Judgev089n2297(1925-11-27.Leslie-Judge)coverJohnHolmgren.thumb.jpg.bac6a9432a6e882c6ffb493492f34713.jpg

Yes it's quite an interesting feature on the books.  A while back I was looking at an old buck rogers book on ebay and found this topic on star stamps.  Lot of modern books, but also a few golden age examples.

s-l1600.jpg.54de314e9a662472ebfde3a9a6f11285.jpg.38b5e001679173f8a8a3db88445d48e8.jpg

I wasn't familiar with them on the later era comics at allhm 

I like the red one on the Buck Rogers.

My quick survey was seeing them on mid-30s girlie pulps, at least a few different varieties of stamp.  I'll be keeping an eye out now to see if I can't figure out their purpose and if maybe they were on some other types of mags as well.

On 2/3/2024 at 8:46 PM, Darwination said:

I wasn't familiar with them on the later era comics at allhm 

I like the red one on the Buck Rogers.

My quick survey was seeing them on mid-30s girlie pulps, at least a few different varieties of stamp.  I'll be keeping an eye out now to see if I can't figure out their purpose and if maybe they were on some other types of mags as well.

Yah I'd be curious what you're able to dig up about it.  My thought was, as othereric pointed out, the GA books were possibly a kid having fun with a stamp, where there seems to be a lot of bronze and modern examples where the stamp coincides with a mark jeweler insert.  The existence on girlie mags though makes me think that maybe it's not a kid with  stamps?

I was looking up the dates of the NEX to see how prevalent they would have been prior to ww2, and it looks like they didn't really take off until 1946, although they existed in some form since ww1.  The army version had the same trajectory, existing in some form since ww1, but formally coming into being in 41.  I would imagine if you find the stamp on a book prior to 41, it would make it less likely to have been due to being sold by a military exchange.   My guess would be like was suggested in the other thread possibly a store stamp, or a stamp from a 2nd hand shop.

Edited by waaaghboss

Yep, second-hand book shops are often mentioned as sellers of girlie pulps as church groups increased pressure on the newsstands towards the end of the girlie-pulp era, so that's definitely an angle.  At least they are a lot more subtle/attractive than other varieties, I barely even notice them.  It might be because I'm distracted by the pretty ladies :kidaround: 

Woo! Killer. As the peeps around here would say "tough book."  Squarebound line, contents pages at rear, middling content inside as far as the fiction and illos. 

Definitely one of Bolles' signature runs with a contortionist sort of thing going.  Nice looking copy, too.  I've got one (v01n06 March 34) - I think I've posted it somewhere around here already but happy to again :yeehaw::

CupidsCapersv01n06(1934-03.Nuregal)coverBolles.thumb.jpg.460ff3a90b7630d5bf9fefbe57dce70e.jpg

Actually, I have a second one which is sort of a mysterious outlier from July 1936 with a numbering of v02n08.  The cover design doesn't fit with the rest, though the indicia looks legit-ish, and there's a blank spot for it on the Fictionmags index (which I'll rectify).  Add the fact that it isn't squarebound like the earlier issues, either, and that  it's from over two years after v02n01 (1934-06). Of course these numbering and reprinting shenanigans aren't too uncommon when it comes to Henry Marcus' girlie pulps, but something seems funky.

CupidsCapersv02n08(1936-07)cover.thumb.jpg.f5f728af0a3d0c7de64149ef5b288ac1.jpg

CupidsCapersv02n08(1936-07)contents.thumb.jpg.59a0639902ffd23c4a6e4e87dd70b1d8.jpg

The same painting and stories used again three months later (or more likely something is fishy with the above issue) on Tattle Tales which was a Donenfeld pulp with a much better color strike, H.J. Ward, Tattle Tales October 1936 (copy available at MCS).

TattleTales1936-10cover(MCSpixelated).thumb.jpg.faca3adccaa5918b6bd5f766270f405c.jpg

But if the first appearance of the cover isn't the greatest it's at least a step up from this UK knock-off :canofworms: only 75 cents, date unknown -

UKSpicyStories-KnockOffofCupidsCapers1936-07.jpg.6ba3234aa8322efe6d4a796a29207996.jpg

But back to the Bolles, geez - - - my faves in the line besides the one I have (and these are not my copies).  This one went for nearly 10 grand in January at HA.  An absolute classic. Somebody liberate this poor girl from her newton ring cage please

CupidsCapers1933-10v01n02.NuregalcoverBollesCGC.thumb.jpg.447598938bc7ac85f33a059c85c4538d.jpg

and then there's this one I really like, v01n03 1933-11

CupidsCapers1933-11v01n03Bollesalt.jpg.8f36da7b41316e75e2e672dba08f24c1.jpg

Edited by Darwination

Man, I don't even know how to answer that question because the pulp market is so volatile right now.  Girlie pulps have been steeply going up in prices for a number of years now, but the auction that one sold in was a particularly over the top crazy affair with a ton of great offerings. Just ten years ago any of those three in sweet condition would have been top tier girlie pulps at 300-500 a piece (that is if you could find them).  You're not gonna find almost any comps at Heritage mainly because eBay has always been the place people look for them. Worthpoint is better for finding historical value since it's eBay sales, but you're still not gonna find many comps cuz of scarcity.  And maybe comps don't even matter when the market is so wonky :whistle:

The other one that came to market last year in a similar (but markedly better grade imo) was this one:

Screenshot(183).thumb.png.a5b87d8311fb2701d65b7df7de36b20a.png

I chalk both these prices up to the fact they were listed at Heritage when crypto was high along with a general early year buzz about pulps getting graded by CGC. 

Even though girlie pulps have been getting graded for years now lol (why girlies got special treatment I do not know, maybe their format is so similar to comics with saddle stitching and approximate size) and slabbing seems to make no difference in how fast they move especially since sellers don't seem to realize that lifelong girlie pulp collectors aren't going to pay ridiculous premiums for a book in a box they might find "in the wild" for a fraction of the price (scarce, though they may be).

As a side note, I've seen the market on average girlie pulps on eBay simmering down pretty steadily over the past 9 months which is an interesting development to say the least.  I think these big sales shook loose a lot of books and now people don't know what to think since there are a lot of great books just sitting around at reasonable prices eBay and MCS.  It's such a weird market cuz there's only a handful of us regular girlie pulp collectors - I have a feeling the high rollers at Heritage are totally different breed (shrug)

Still, Cupid's Capers and the one I consider a sister pulp, Stolen Sweets, are gonna fetch some of the highest prices the market will bear.  The most sought after Stolen Sweets being these two (not my copies!).  The first one might be my own Bolles grail (but hell if I'd pay anything like ten grand for any pulp, cuz that's about what I like to pay for a car :kidaround:)

StolenSweets1935-10cover-Bolles(fromBollesBlog).thumb.jpg.55235d972d36f5a9e28daf8ee1d13918.jpg

stolensweets33_12.jpg.8c20a4edebd09d8fb11a492035140930.jpg

If you're holding, I'd say it's a good time to list them at Heritage in the right auction and find out.

Edited by Darwination

Gorgeous, Jimbo :x :x :x

A 9.0 Film Fun is absolutely remarkable (not to mention that's an incredible Bolles). 

The Nugget's cool as a key and has seen the valuation skyrocket with Baker fans in the mix - I'm on the look out for a scanning copy, but the f*ckin' Baker fans... :makepoint:

Is the Playboy the one with Bettie wearing only a Santa hat? :D

Edited by Darwination