• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whitman Pre Pack Only Comic Books 1980

12 posts in this topic

Would like to know if we could get a listing on whitman pre pack only comic books from 1980. Whitman pre packs are considered to be scarce to rare with 20-100 copies estimated to exist of these books. Page 108 of overstreet price guide has information from overstreet advisor Doug Sulipa. Uncle Scrooge 179 has been noted as rare with 20 to 50 copies existing of this book. We should be able to shed some light on this book. There have been several copies graded by cgc to date of this book. This is one of the unexplained areas of the collecting hobby. Myabe we could shed some light on it. Also comic book marketplace 85 and 86 have articles on these books. angel.gifangel.gif

# of copies graded according to CGC census as of Apr. 10/06

These books are in order of most scarce to least scarce with approximately 10-50 copies of each known to exist (Overstreet #35, page 108).

Super Goof #61 -9 copies graded

Little Lulu #260 -11 copies graded

Tom and Jerry #332 -8 copies graded

Looney Tunes #34 -9 copies graded

Daffy Duck #130 -8 copies graded

Winnie The Pooh #22 -10 copies graded

Looney Tunes #35 -4 copies graded

Popeye #158 -5 copies graded

Woody Woodpecker #190 -5,8, or 13 copies graded (hard to figure out)

Woody Woodpecker #191 -1 copy graded

Yosemite Sam #70 -5 copies graded

Chip and Dale #69 -9 copies graded

Beep Beep Road Runner #93 -2 copies graded

Pink Panther #76 -15 copies graded

Pink Panther #77 -15 copies graded

Tweety and Sylvester #107 - 4 copies graded

Beep Beep Road Runner #92 -2 copies graded

Daisy and Donald #47 -12 copies graded

Mickey Mouse #208 -3,9, or 12 copies graded (hard to figure out)

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #480 -12 copies graded

Battle of the Planets #7 -31 copies graded

Donald Duck #222 -14 copies graded

Uncle Scrooge 179 - 25 copies graded

There ya go! I hope that information is helpful to some people out there.

A word of advice...these comics are determined to be some of the scarcest/rarest comics of the modern age. However, there will probably be more and more coming out of the woodwork as the price rises in the Overstreet. Right now, the market (ebay) has shown that the prices in the guide are way too low and need to be adjusted. I find that the books sell very well if they are promoted well enough. If selling these on Ebay, have nice pictures and push the fact that these are scarce books. Make mention of Doug Sulipa's information posted in the Overstreet price guide (#35, page 108). Also remember that the #'s that I posted above are, as of today, the most up to date figures from the CGC census. As these numbers are relatively low, there will also be many ungraded copies in people's collections, as well as undiscovered copies just waiting to be found.

(personal note: let me know gossip.gif if you are a Big Five collector, you will know what that means if you are laugh.gif)

Bye for now! hi.gif

Oops...lastly, if you want to post some pictures, when you're posting, below the smilies, you will see an option to check a box "I want to preview my post and/or attach a file". Check this box to add your pics. flamed.gif

my website: www.eslelite.com (for teachers wanting to teach English overseas)

wasn't someone selling some of these issues in bulk, by the case?

Nope, those were other Whitman pre-packs, but not those specific issues.

Personally, even though these were only distributed in packs, and in Canada, I highly doubt those "estimated numbers" are anywhere near the truth. I've been able to find a few up here, and that's not even looking, just dumb luck.

Personally, if these ever get really hyped in Canuck Land, prepare for the numbers to skyrocket. I mean, seriously, what books (other than price variants, and that's only partial run) would ever be printed in those numbers?

10-50 copies in existence? screwy.gif

JC is correct. It's silly to think that only like 10-20 copies of a book would be printed. I mean, unless some printing catastrophe happened and all of these Whitman books ceased production...

They are not all that popular right now and that's why these print run myths are around. Doug Sulipa is a great guy and all, but he is huge on pushing these ultra-low print runs.

To be fair, I think the Guide article suggested the rarity of books on the market - not surviving books or print runs. At this point, these books still are occasionally getting thrown into second-hand bins and the like.

To this end, I think the estimates of low-numbers of high-grade books are probably pretty accurate. Lower grade? Well....as the books become "known" and as they age, they are more likely to surface. There must be a few hundred copies of each at least. I know that I "found" some of my own that I had bought as a kid and saved all these years.

If a someone were to call a shop and say they had a stack of comics from the 1980's - mostly Archie and Kids books - they would normally be told not to even bother coming in with them and to sell them or give them to a local 2nd hand shop. Some shops go by date and others ask about cover price. Few ask specifics.

Personally, I am still trying to track a DD222 or US179 in 8.5 up for a multiple of guide - pretty hard so far.

The estimates are way off.

I dabbled in them about 2 years ago. Started looking for Donald Duck #222.

Purchased 3 VGs in about 3 weeks. One from a local comic store, two from

ebay's Australia web site. All were <$10 each/delivered. Sold to some dealer

who hyped them. Made a bunch of money.

No scarce, just not easy to find. I would estimate thousands exist, just not sitting in the USA comic shops.

If you want something scarce, try finding Kite Fun Books.

Oh, the secrets out. Check ebay's australia site for them.

Hi

I noticed your interest in Whitman Scrooge #179. The story goes that this issue was only ever issued in Australia and here they turn up pretty regularly. I have two. As has been noted the problem is that nobody checks Australian Ebay.

One of my copies came from my first workplace where I was employed to sort remainder books and publications. I have always been a Disney fan and when I found a three pack that included 179 I grabbed it. But get this... There where dozens of them there! The same three pack. At the time I didn't know their value. I only nicked the one to read.

Thats my tail of woe.