• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please remove this copy from the census
1 1

7 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Good morning, thanks for your message.  In order to remove a book from our census, we need to have the label returned to us.  You can mail that to us at:

CGC

PO Box 4738

Sarasota, Florida  34230

Thanks!

Hi, why should that be ?

The board member is displaying a CGC label that no longer is in the holder (ie cracked out), therefore the serial should be considered void as the integrity of the graded book associated with it is no longer guaranteed. The formerly graded (by CGC) book will never go back to its original slabbed state. Sending in the label should only be a formality.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Hi, why should that be ?

The board member is displaying a CGC label that no longer is in the holder (ie cracked out), therefore the serial should be considered void as the integrity of the graded book associated with it is no longer guaranteed. The formerly graded (by CGC) book will never go back to its original slabbed state. Sending in the label should only be a formality.

I understand to a certain extent.  If they were to accept pictures then couldn't someone doctor pictures of labels and tell CGC to remove them?

20 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

I understand to a certain extent.  If they were to accept pictures then couldn't someone doctor pictures of labels and tell CGC to remove them?

Good remark, but on a book like Detective 28 with only 15 Universal copies I could understand trying to skew the census and there I would request label submission, yet on a Daredevil 168 9.0 with 503 Universal copies in same grade and roughly 2200 Universal copies graded higher ?

What would be the point ?

In this case I think it would remain up to the better judgment of the CGC Registry Admin. @Matt G

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Good remark, but on a book like Detective 28 with only 15 Universal copies I could understand trying to skew the census yet on a Daredevil 168 9.0 with 503 universal copies in 9.0 grade and roughly 2200 universal copies graded higher ? What would be the point ?

That's absolutely true.  I found it interesting that a thread was made to announce a deslabbed book.  The Census is already so skewed by so many books being graded then removed to be pressed or just enjoyed as a raw book.  That is the biggest reason why I roll my eyes when people say "only X amount on the census" to indicate it being a rare book or "there's ten thousand graded copies out there" when who knows how many had been regraded. I'm not sure how any of this could be fixed or updated. 

I have requested several updates to CGC census via the CGC Registry Forum wrt early Detective Comics and if the evidence is solid, CGC has complied.

Of course it is MUCH easier to keep the census numbers in check with a book that has 50 Total graded copies than one that has thousands :bigsmile:

Edited by Gotham Kid