• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Reslabbing

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a fan of the new CGC slabs and custom label options. My question, if I purchase an older slab and let’s say it has centering issues or some back page showing. Do you generally recommend a clean/press before reslabbing or just reholder and hope for the best on centering. Or do you recommend buying older slabs at say a 9.6 and attempt for a grade bump? I don’t want to lose grade and generally just want to fix centering and have book in a newer slab. 

Don't count too much on centering. The comic will still move around inside the slab in varying degrees of force. As far as cleaning/pressing, depends on the book and how satisfied you are on the current condition. Personally if I'm happy with the current grade and just want a new slab or label, I just submit using the Reholder option -- assuming the book was untouched and the old slab hasn't been opened, it will just inherit the old grade. But if you clean/press, it is as if you submitted the book fresh and CGC will not take into consideration the old grade.