• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The first "Hint" that Wolverine was coming... "A Startling Guest Star"

4 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, but I didn't know about it until today.

We always debate between Hulk 180 & 181 when we think of Wolverine's 1st appearance.

But did you know his first "mention" was most likely Hulk 179, where at the bottom of the last page it says, "Next Issue, Once more.... the Wendigo (and a Startling Guest Star!)

This certainly doesn't increase the value of 179, but if nothing else it's kind of interesting.  

At the time they didn't realize the impact that the "Startling Guest Star" would have on the Marvel Universe.

Again, sorry if this has been posted before, I just saw it and thought it was cool.

IMG_2692 (1).jpg

Edited by gadzukes

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Yeah I remember other threads pointing this out too.

Do you remember the debate with Foom #2?  Again, mentioned in other threads.  And some pointing to house ads in other mags of IH 181 but I think those all came out after 180?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/foom-2-the-first-appearance-of-wolverine-in-1973/

Yes, I remember the Foom 2 thing.  But come on.... that's not Wolverine.  Interesting that it came out in '73 though.