• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whai is your favorite "What If?" story?

43 posts in this topic

My favorite "What If?" story is from when I was in sixth grade.

When I was in elementary school, once a week I used to go to another school for some GATE program with a bunch of other kids. There was this really pretty blonde girl in the program too, but I could never work up the courage to talk to her because I was afraid that: (a) I'd say something stupid, (b) she'd think I was a dweeb, © I'd start drooling and accidentally spit on her, or (d) all of the above. When I was in fifth grade, the girl moved away and I figured "Well, that is that."

Some of you may remember that roller skating was really popular in the early 1980s. There were skating rinks all over the place. Our local rink was a place called Skateway and all of the schools in my school district had skating events there.

In about May 1983, the same month that I was reading all about "What If?: Doctor Strange Had Not Become Master of the Mystic Arts?" in What If? #40, my school had an event at Skateway. So I go to this event and lo and behold, who do I see there, but this blonde girl from my GATE class. She's there with some friends of hers (why, I have no idea, since she didn't attend my school anymore and it was the middle of a school day). When it came time for "couple's skate," a girl came over to me and told me that her friend wanted to know if I'd skate with her in the couple's skate. So I said, "Who is your friend?" and she points over to the blonde girl.

LIKE AN insufficiently_thoughtful_person I SAID NO. foreheadslap.gif

I like to think that I was just so shocked that this girl was interested that my brain froze up and I didn't know if I'd be able to deal with actually speaking to her. It's a decision that I have thought about a lot in the 22 years since it happened -- not because I think that it was a relationship destined for permanence, but more because I have wondered what that decision says about me and how I dealt with pressure as a kid. screwy.gif It's something I can chuckle about two decades later, but I do sometimes wonder "What If? Scott Had Done Couple's Skate With the Pretty Blonde Girl?" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"What If? Scott Had Done Couple's Skate With the Pretty Blonde Girl?" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

you might have gotten some booby action. then, just like nearly every other What If story, things would have turned out almost exactly the same but different in some subtle way

"What If? Scott Had Done Couple's Skate With the Pretty Blonde Girl?" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

you might have gotten some booby action. then, just like nearly every other What If story, things would have turned out almost exactly the same but different in some subtle way

My favorite What If?" story? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif What If Sal got laid &WhatIf SAl had a pair popcorn.gif

My favorite What If?" story? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif What If Sal got laid &WhatIf SAl had a pair popcorn.gif

...or "What If...johny myman was banned for being a shill ID?" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif