• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is going on with this comic and slab?
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I don't have the slab in hand so I can't measure: is the comic just smaller than the typical modern size, so it fits in the slab funny?  I've never seen something like this before.  Apparently it's in a standard-sized CGC slab, and it looks like it's seated inside the inner well for the comic, even if that inner well appears far too wide.

oml.thumb.jpg.c4d1f7945f520bae6b32a2434d3d9769.jpg

4 minutes ago, catman76 said:

SNATCH-COMICS-1-Apex-Nov-1972-SCLAY-WILS

So based on your pic, I'm thinking for my picture that it's a slightly smaller comic that either wasn't centered very well in the slab, or it's been jostled around quite a bit? 

My example has those plastic tabs in the slab, which seem a lot less effective that what I'm seeing in yours: a nice pocket made of seals to keep it firmly in place.

2 hours ago, noelbeast said:

I don't have the slab in hand so I can't measure: is the comic just smaller than the typical modern size, so it fits in the slab funny?  I've never seen something like this before.  Apparently it's in a standard-sized CGC slab, and it looks like it's seated inside the inner well for the comic, even if that inner well appears far too wide.

oml.thumb.jpg.c4d1f7945f520bae6b32a2434d3d9769.jpg

I don't understand why they would, out of the blue, make this comic a thinner size.   (shrug)

6 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I don't understand why they would, out of the blue, make this comic a thinner size.   (shrug)

Agreed.  Like I said before, looks like the comic is still inside the inner well, but to the extreme right of it.  But also, when you compare it to the left border of the well, the right side seems to extend out further & almost to the edge of the label, unlike the left.  We're talking millimeters here, but I can't stop thinking about how odd it looks. 

Production/slabbing issue that got past quality control?

On 8/19/2020 at 10:33 PM, noelbeast said:

Agreed.  Like I said before, looks like the comic is still inside the inner well, but to the extreme right of it.  But also, when you compare it to the left border of the well, the right side seems to extend out further & almost to the edge of the label, unlike the left.  We're talking millimeters here, but I can't stop thinking about how odd it looks. 

Production/slabbing issue that got past quality control?

+1 to this. 

Although the way it is centered it makes it look like one of the 90's sized ashcans..