• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone seen this before?

10 posts in this topic

I haven't seen it before.  It appears to be a painting by legendary Marvel inker Joe Sinnott, who inked Fantastic Four for years (and many other books).  I'd guess it dates to 1978 (when the robot Herbie debuted as part of the Fantastic Four in their cartoon) or 1979 (when Herbie was introduced in the comics).  It seems unlikely it would have been after about 1981, when Sinnott stopped inking FF, and Herbie was no longer appearing regularly. 

What information are you looking for?  Publication history?  The painting's "origin story"?  Value?  

What information can you share?  How did you come across the piece? What do you know about it?

We know almost nothing about it. My boyfriends dad was working a comic event around 1986 and the painting was hanging behind the table during a Q and A part of the event. And its just been floating around their family since then. 

Any information anyone can tell me about it would be helpful. Publication history, value if its worth holding on to. They recently started redoing some rooms and took it off the wall which is what started the whole mystery quest to find out more about it. 

31 minutes ago, Missy1987 said:

We know almost nothing about it. My boyfriends dad was working a comic event around 1986 and the painting was hanging behind the table during a Q and A part of the event. And its just been floating around their family since then. 

Any information anyone can tell me about it would be helpful. Publication history, value if its worth holding on to. They recently started redoing some rooms and took it off the wall which is what started the whole mystery quest to find out more about it. 

The original image was created by Joe Sinnott.  In this New York Times article, you can see Joe showing off a print of the image, cropped at the bottom, in his portfolio.

Sinnott_Portfolio.thumb.jpg.943b0474450de50af2de1a9895e9b9a1.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/02/nyregion/spider-man-and-his-inker-wrists-still-going-strong-a-half-century-later.html

It's hard to tell the size of your art.  If that's a chair leg in the background, then I'm guessing the art is maybe 3 feet by 6 feet.  Is that right?

If it's a 3'x6' reproduction of a Joe Sinnott paining by mechanical means or by an artist other than Sinnott, then it's probably not worth a lot. My opinion is that somebody may be willing to pay $100 for a large image like that.

However, if it can be authenticated as an original painting that Joe Sinnott himself painted by hand, then it would sell for good money.   It's hard to put a specific number on "good money", because I haven't bought original art in a while and I found nothing comparable on HA.com's list of completed auctions.  My best guess would be that it would sell at auction for between $1,000 and $5,000, but somebody who is familiar with the current original art market would be able to give you a better idea of the value.

very interesting piece.

is it an actual painting?

Some things about it suggest a large print attached to a frame of some kind ( the lettering is to exact for it to be a painting in my opinion )

I can see it being a mixed media where the background is painted , the characters drawn in ink and colored in inks and the lettering attached.

Edited by Artboy99

I had thought the image matched the ARP Films promo print in the NYT piece, but as I look closer I see it's a variation of a group shot that Sinnott has done on more than one occasion.

Note that in the ARP Films print in the NY Times article, there are three non-Marvel characters in the middle of the print.

In this variation, labeled by the website www.Tellshir.com as an ARP Films promotional print, those characters are not present, and neither is Spider-Woman.

Sinnott_Promotional_print.thumb.JPG.05d23645f2a50a5cd2b1940f4cddefc7.JPG

http://tellshiar.com/pictures.html

4 hours ago, Missy1987 said:

If you could identify the actual comic event and location, and how/why your boyfriend's dad got the painting (did he win contest? was Joe Sinnott or his manager there? was it just a leftover item given a way for free? was it purchased?  Did he have to beat up four armed guards to steal it from a glass case?) that may help provide a clue,

and/or any other information about any about the show (who hosted the show, any of the other vendors or guests).

Literally any of that information might trigger the memory of someone here (there's some super experienced folks here) in terms of what it is or possibly who else to ask.

Also, I don't know how easy or hard it is, but you might be able to find Joe Sinnott's former agent/manager (or maybe family) on social media or linkedin or whatever and just send a pic and ask directly what it is (probably don't ask them about value).  

Note I would say if it was actually drawn and/or painted by Joe Sinnott it's probably pretty valuable.  If its a print, still probably has some value since it seems rare.  Of course it would also be nice to have some sort of verification of what it is and that Joe did it.