• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Premiere #28: I wanted to love it but...
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I agree.

Terrible story, appalling art.

My brain switched off about half way through it.

So bad, so boring, I didn’t finish it. And, it’s what, 20 pages long.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I read NM 98 and thought the story was not very good and the appearance by Deadpool not very important. I see the value in both books going beyond story or art or quality in general just being in the first appearance of the Legion of Monsters (or Deadpool). If the Legion of Monsters is the road the MCU goes down, it will still go up, up, up. It doesn't have to be good to be important. I myself like prehero marvel monsters but what was Groot before the Guardians inclusion and the first movie? He hadn't gotten very far on the story in his first appearance...

I'll sum up by saying, I know better now than to assume my assessment of a story influences anyone else's opinion on the importance or desirability of a first appearance. 

I don't think buyers need to worry too much, it seems about safer than many alternatives IMHO.

10 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

I read NM 98 and thought the story was not very good and the appearance by Deadpool not very important. I see the value in both books going beyond story or art or quality in general just being in the first appearance of the Legion of Monsters (or Deadpool). If the Legion of Monsters is the road the MCU goes down, it will still go up, up, up. It doesn't have to be good to be important. I myself like prehero marvel monsters but what was Groot before the Guardians inclusion and the first movie? He hadn't gotten very far on the story in his first appearance...

I'll sum up by saying, I know better now than to assume my assessment of a story influences anyone else's opinion on the importance or desirability of a first appearance. 

I don't think buyers need to worry too much, it seems about safer than many alternatives IMHO.

I agree but still am disappointed.  For me, I need to like the story if I'm going to spend a fair amount of money on a HG book (unless I'm trying to complete a run). I took it off my WTB list.  

Edited by Xenosmilus

I think right now is a great time to invest in stories that deliver, both with good art or good writing or both, because the emphasis on storylines is not valued anywhere near what first appearances get. 

There are some I thinking of myself. I'd like to upgrade all my Yancy St. tie-ins. I want to complete my Claremont X-Men run (this one has been creeping up). And here's a random, guilty pleasure: I want to upgrade and complete my Elementals run. And I'm always trying to make headway on FF 1-100...

All I’m really interested in now is quality of story and art, and the OP is right, it’s a terrible read, impeded by some atrocious Frank Robbins scribble.

That’s not necessarily a barrier to speculation.

Edited by Ken Aldred

18 hours ago, batmiesta said:

I just don't get the fascination of that book, nice cover and that is it,

I hate to say that I really do not like the cover.  Always thought GR looked odd.  I did buy it off the stands though,  I was a sucker for any book that had Marvel in the title.

Maybe because I was so used to Nick Cardy drawing different characters.  If I am not mistaken, this was the only cover he did for Marvel?

4 hours ago, telerites said:

I hate to say that I really do not like the cover.  Always thought GR looked odd.  I did buy it off the stands though,  I was a sucker for any book that had Marvel in the title.

Maybe because I was so used to Nick Cardy drawing different characters.  If I am not mistaken, this was the only cover he did for Marvel?

Correct - for comics. He did 10-15 Marvel magazine covers.

6 hours ago, telerites said:

I was trying to find something nice to say about it. :|

28 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

I was trying to find something nice to say about it. :|

Yup. It is the best artwork there. Maybe not Cardy's best, but far better than what's inside.