• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

grading an already signed comic book

9 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, TmntDad said:

I have 2 comics that are signed if i submit them will they also certify the signature?

CGC certifies signatures only when the signing is witnessed by CGC.  So the answer is no, they will not certify the signature.  

Edited by SOTIcollector

On the other hand, they will check the signature to see if it warrants a green label, which means 'Qualified'.  I have a Notti & Nyce in my modern sales thread if you'd like to see an example. :bigsmile:  Just click on the *UPDATE* heading to see it.

15 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

On the other hand, they will check the signature to see if it warrants a green label, which means 'Qualified'.

They are not "checking the signature".  They are assigned a grade accounting for writing on it.  Qualified means that the signature isn't considering a defect and isn't taking away from the technical grade.

2 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

They are not "checking the signature".  They are assigned a grade accounting for writing on it.  Qualified means that the signature isn't considering a defect and isn't taking away from the technical grade.

I stand corrected.  That's what I was eluding to, just couldn't get the right wording out of my head.  Need more coffee!!!

Thanks!!

I'll be the guy who posts the exceptions that help confuse the issue.

In general, CGC will not grade these as CGC SS if they have a signature already on the comic and they did not witness the signing.  HOWEVER, there is a special case where YOU ARE THE CREATOR AND HAVE SIGNED THE COMIC YOURSELF, and you fill out some special forms certifying all of that info, then they may be eligible for CGC SS if you send in the books yourself directly to CGC.  If this rare situation is the situation you find yourself in, you should contact CGC customer service and have them walk you through the process.

You did not ask about the 'value' question (is it worth it to get graded even if they won't certify the sigs?), but others seem to have commented, but honestly it depends on the book and the condition of the book.

good luck