• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new star wars variant or error printing?

41 posts in this topic

i'd imagine it is rare. seriously, just how many people would have bought that comic in the philipines? the question is, does anyone actually care? we see that german hulk 181 floating around, it has to be a lot less common than the u.s. edition, but do people care?

an interesting novelty though and something a rabid star wars collector would likely find cool.

how much did it cost you?

well here is the auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

$32.00 with shipping.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea what the worth on it is. I imagine it is rare, only because I have never seen a copy of it ever, even on ebay. The seller lives in Hawaii, and she told me she had originally bought it in Houston, Texas way back in the seventies, and has had it ever since! This comic has had an interesting trip halfway around the world.

I do plan on flipping it back onto Ebay, it is in VG shape. Any suggestions about how I should list it? confused-smiley-013.gif

I was thinking:

"NEW STAR WARS 1 VARIANT 1977 NO ISSUE NUMBER , NO PRICE"

with the picture next to it.

I am sure , too , that some die hard Star Wars fan would want it. There are some other differences with the issue, too. Different name for the letter page, and the inside has some advertising for some Christian comics sold in the phillipines.

I am going to put a no reserve on it, but with a starting price of $32.00, i just do not want to lose any $ on this.

Yes, i saw how much that Hulk 181 , German version went for!!! I would not buy it, I have seen a few copies of it on Ebay.

But, like I said, I have never seen one of these up!

Frank

flamed.gif

Yo, that is NOT the same auction scan you posted on here, as it has no artifacts or discolored areas that would lead anyone to think it was whited-out. foreheadslap.gif

Where did you get the one you posted here?

Closer examination of the first scan does show some differences than the second scan. Particularly the distance from the art to the edge of the comic.

Could just be the differences in scanners.

No, I meant the TINY one he initially posted (probably shrunk down using some freebee graphics program) that looked all fake and artifact-filled, as compared to the AUCTION SCAN he just posted a LINK to.

This has nothing to do with CH's own scan, only the two that were prior to him receiving it.

Here's the warped one he posted:

919538-starwarserror.jpg

And here's the ACTUAL comic from the auction:

50_1_b.JPG

well, you can call it a variant in the title, but you ought to explain it's the philipine edition in the body of the text. it's unusual enough that you ought to be able to flip it for more than you paid.

same comic. I took a copy from the auction I won it from , the first scan i posted

I get it now, you took that whacko "auto-resized" one that EBay does from the larger image, right? That's why it looked so hazy and fake, whereas the true image looks fine.

See my above examples, both taken from the same auction.

well yes,

when i first posted the picture, it was lifted from the ebay site, this was before I got the comic. Once I got it , I did the scans from the actual comic. I just wonder why, this comic has not popped up before? Maybe there was a limited release in the Philippines?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

There are TWO images on the auction, one SMALL and auto-resized by EBay, and the other LARGE at correct dimensions. Again, these are both from the auction, and the small looks like [embarrassing lack of self control] and fake/artifacted when enlarged, while the large image looks fine.

If you had posted the correct image initially, this thread would likely have been half a page.

921860-sw_sm.jpg.924a83c5287d17bfb8191a8f62bc624d.jpg

cool.gif Cool find Frank I hope it turns out to be the real thing let us know when you get it. I hope I am wrong but if that is the only scan you got it is a good chance someone has just photoshoped the price and issue number out frown.gif

I just won one of those SW #1 with the 35 cent diamond that had the bar code on ebay and it turned out to be fake. Someone cut a bar code off something else and glued it on the SW #1 and even after I got it, it took me a while to figure out it was fake. foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

There was a very large American population living in the Phillipines when Star Wars came out.Between the two huge naval bases,an air Force base and thousands of american students attending school there,not to mention the huge english-speaking native population,I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few copies were sold.

Cool -- I like the hype. At least you're giving people enough info to make their decision. BTW, I uesd to have a totally beat (and I mean BEAT) copy of Avengers #98 from this same company out of the Phillipines. Always thought it was weird b/c all of the colors were tweaked just a little.