• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Grading/Resto Forum - What do you think?

59 posts in this topic

No, mica it's called feedback - getting objective opinions from people who are 1) knowledable and 2) distant and impartial.

I have graded as many books as I have posted here (which has started only recently) and it is part of the give and take that is what a COMMUNITY is all about, which is what this is supposed to be.....

As for those of you who appear to have a problem with people "only posting there and not contributing elsewhere" I assume by "not contributing" you mean not repeating what has been said several times in a thread, not going off on tangents in a thread, and not participating in a volley of inane banter...

Getting a little defensive aren't we? I don't recall anyone naming names. makepoint.gif

Understood, I just wanted to give you the chance to clarify. It sounded like a jab.

But I guess you thought the earlier comments were a jab.

So was I wrong that in some sense you were sumo.gif instead of poke2.gif ?

Yes, I agree - it's a good idea. But often, grading and restoration topics arise from someone's "Grade my book" post. And similarly, grading and restoration questions in the hypothetical (i.e., without scans of the actual books with defects and restorations) are often useless discussions with no real focal point.

Also, then there is the enfocement of "off-topic" postings 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As for those of you who appear to have a problem with people "only posting there and not contributing elsewhere" I assume by "not contributing" you mean not repeating what has been said several times in a thread, not going off on tangents in a thread, and not participating in a volley of inane banter...

Getting a little defensive aren't we? I don't recall anyone naming names. makepoint.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif It's a forum remember?

A place for the free exchange of ideas and opinions, lest we forget sumo.gif

Understood, I just wanted to give you the chance to clarify. It sounded like a jab.

But I guess you thought the earlier comments were a jab.

So was I wrong that in some sense you were sumo.gif instead of poke2.gif ?

I'm sorry, Mica, I don't understand what you mean by this...

The definition of "not contributing'? Yes, that was a jab. Do you mean did I consider the earlier comments about posting in the grading forum and not elsewhere a jab?

I considered it uncalled for beacuse who exatly is monitoring who posts where and - I'm sorry - but 30-40% of frequent "contributors" is - shall we say - fluff. Not

offensive, simply off the point, or redundant or an inside joke.

All I am saying is who here is to judge what are "worthy" posts and replies and what are not?

Let's see...I usually go to the grading forum only during the grading contests, so all of the grade me's aren't a bother.

But a place where all of the folks that are shall we say "extremely interested to the point of insanity" over whether a book has been pressed, cleaned, cleaned & pressed, cold pressed, hot pressed, placed under a stack of books pressed, etc......Yeah, I'm all for creating more space in the General Forum for topics other than C&P. And I'm really not being totally negative because there is a time and place for resto discussion...but it seems that's all we have somedays.

Yes, I agree - it's a good idea. But often, grading and restoration topics arise from someone's "Grade my book" post. And similarly, grading and restoration questions in the hypothetical (i.e., without scans of the actual books with defects and restorations) are often useless discussions with no real focal point.

Also, then there is the enfocement of "off-topic" postings 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Point well taken, Divad. And, that did cross my mind while I was writing my "proposal". I certainly wouldn't be opposed to scans in the "New /Grade RestoThread". In fact, I think they are extremely helpful.

I would suggest that if such a topic were to arrise in the "Grade My Book" forum, someone should post it in the new "Grade/Resto" forum under a thread titled, "How much should CGC deduct for (name the defect)?". It wouldn't be a "Grade My Book" thread at that point. It would be a thread to discuss the acutal grading process/point system. It does, however, seem a bit redundant.

I'm glad we are getting feedback on both sides of the arguement. Keep it coming. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Let's see...I usually go to the grading forum only during the grading contests, so all of the grade me's aren't a bother.

Actually, I think this is one of the problems - the grading contests do not contribute anything of substance to the grading/resto forum, and consideration should be given to creating a separate thread for them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

btw, while we're at it, let's create separate forums for Deathlok and Greggy to post in 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

All I am saying is who here is to judge what are "worthy" posts and replies and what are not?
No problem, in fact by me asking, you've gotten a chance to expand upon your earlier post. In a sense I hope it was helpful to you.

And besides, I believe the jab that you were responding to wasn't really aimed at you in the first place. gossip.gifflowerred.gif

Actually, I think this is one of the problems - the grading contests do not contribute anything of substance to the grading/resto forum, and consideration should be given to creating a separate thread for them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

btw, while we're at it, let's create separate forums for Deathlok and Greggy to post in 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

frown.gif

Good idea......maybe we could get Dealers to compare notes on their favorite Resto tactics, and re-sub triumphs. 27_laughing.gif

I disagree. The grading contests are a good learning experience.

Grading contests belong in the Grading Forum.

I disagree. The grading contests are a good learning experience.

Grading contests belong in the Grading Forum.

Your oppinion, Herr Doktor?!?

hulk2bad.jpg

popcorn.gif