• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Grading/Resto Forum - What do you think?

59 posts in this topic

I'm starting this thread to get feedback from everyone about the creation of a new "Grading and Resto Issues Forum".

Basically, I got the idea as it seems the current forum has become nothing more than a "Grade My Book" forum. Many important issues become buried under these threads which usually get around 10 or so responses. I think they can be useful, but I also think that they should be in a seperate forum.

I know I rarely check that forum out anymore as, although I do check out books here and there, it gets tedious/old/whatever wading thru a page or two of "Grade My Books" to get to other topics.

I do not think I am alone in this. I think the forum would become an even better educational tool that it already is if the forum, in it's current incarnation, were split into two seperate forums:

1. Grading and Restoration Issues

2. "Grade My Book"

I have spoken to Arch about this and he is willing to listen to feedback from all of you regarding the above. He will consider it, if there is enough of a positive response to my suggestion.

Would you like to see such a change? Do you think that a seperate forum would garner enough traffic to merit such a change? Or, am I just a whining little beeyotch? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let's get some feedback - both positive and negative.

Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Great idea Chrisco

I used to view that forum every day,even enjoyed tweaking an Avengers 4 with Red Hook cloud9.gif, but stopped viewing the forum as it did get carried away with some people going through a long box of scans to be graded. tongue.gif

Great idea - a lot of people there just getting endless advice about their books.

-edit- There is not anything actually wrong with that, but i personally like to read about resto issues rather than specificly grading individual books.

I basically agree with everything being said here, although i do like the "Grade My..." threads - when they're used responsibly.

My solution has been simply not to post in threads where I feel the users are misusing the forum. If everyone would do that, the problem would take care of itself. [/wishful thinking]

I'm afraid that a forum specifically for the "Grade My..." threads would be bombarded by the same inconsiderate users and I simply would never visit it.

Perhaps a suggested limit of 3 new posts a day could be implemented.

I basically agree with everything being said here, although i do like the "Grade My..." threads - when they're used responsibly.

That's a great idea as well. thumbsup2.gif

That's a great idea as well. thumbsup2.gif

I like the idea, I just don't know who would enforce it.

I nominate you!

Red Hook will issue you with a badge...

tongue.gif

Seriously, if we announce the three-per-day guideline in a sticky post, I believe most people would honor it.

And if someone goes on a posting spree, we'll just let them know that it's inappropriate and ignore them beyond that.

I nominate you!

Red Hook will issue you with a badge...

tongue.gif

Seriously, if we announce the three-per-day guideline in a sticky post, I believe most people would honor it.

And if someone goes on a posting spree, we'll just let them know that it's inappropriate and ignore them beyond that.

As far as making it an announced Procedure, perhaps it could be added to the FAQ page. Maybe a sub-section under "courtesy"

I was going to suggest the same thing.

thumbsup2.gif

Another idea was to have submitters of books post ALL at once in one thread, thereby taking up less "space".

Typically I post 5 at a time, twice a week (just for a limited time; I'm sure it will become sporadic and infrequent in the not too distant future) and would have no problem with that...

As for those of you who appear to have a problem with people "only posting there and not contributing elsewhere" I assume by "not contributing" you mean not repeating what has been said several times in a thread, not going off on tangents in a thread, and not participating in a volley of inane banter...

I was going to suggest the same thing.

thumbsup2.gif

Another idea was to have submitters of books post ALL at once in one thread, thereby taking up less "space".

Typically I post 5 at a time, twice a week (just for a limited time; I'm sure it will become sporadic and infrequent in the not too distant future) and would have no problem with that...

As for those of you who appear to have a problem with people "only posting there and not contributing elsewhere" I assume by "not contributing" you mean not repeating what has been said several times in a thread, not going off on tangents in a thread, and not participating in a volley of inane banter...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Expecting a lot of free help in grading your books????confused-smiley-013.gif