• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie Intro and Questions

9 posts in this topic

Hello and sorry for such a long post!

I have just completed my first CGC submission form and will be shipping it today. I have a few questions hopefully some here can help me with, but first, a little introduction....

I USED to be a comic collector, now I am just a keeper. While there was some growing displeasure in my collecting at the time, there was one moment that kicked me out of collecting since the early 90's ( I suppose I am not the only person who left comics from this period, just like baseball lost all those fans in the late 80's). It was the first issue of the McFarlane Spider-Man. As a Marvel collector and Spider-man most enthusiastically, I bought all of the covers to put in my collection and then read that Mavel was issuing the "platinum" edition for the dealers that made it all possible. I was naive enough to think it was the collectors and readers, but that's just me....... Anyway, I haven't collected since and have been waiting for my son to get into it. Ain't gonna happen. He DOES seem to like the idea of trying to sell some books - clever kid - but also the notion of selling off books to try to buy other books. So here I am, trying to start selling my beloved collection as an activity to do with my son and as a means of buying other things - I have an original piece of George Herriman artwork in mind.

So, my questions. I was thinking of selling on ComicLink. I've read so much lately trying to get back up to speed that I'm confusing myself. Does ComicLink grade the comics for you, so potential buyers can trust the grading? If so, does this mean that you can sell non CGC books and get close to CGC prices? I'm talking about selling books that are say ASM 50 - 125, TTA, Surfer, FF etc. in fine or above condition. Any suggestions? I don't want to sell them as a block.

Also, I have an Amazing Fantasy 15 that I think would grade a sound 1.0! Is it worth it for me to get this graded by CGC? The book is tight, but very brown, worn, and with drawing on the cover (some kid colored the balck part of the costume). Ther is scotch tape along the inside from probably the 60's that is falling off now. If I scan it and pop it on ebay it may go higher than it should because will LOOK better than it is in a scan (for example, even in person you need to tilt the book to notice the cover drawing). If I CGC it, then it can be buyer beware - but would I recoup the cost?

Anyway, that's enough. Hello all.

Congrats on getting back into collecting.

Some caveats though: mid-grade Marvels (even Spideys) rarely bring 50% on eBay, and often 25-40% is what you can hope to expect. There is just too much ready supply, and not near enough demand out there for 'em. Comiclink isn't a better option...I think they offer a service where they would grade the comic for you and keep it onsite until it sells, but it will cost you $$$, and you won't get anywhere near CGC prices for raw books with them either.

As for slabbing your AF # 15, I'd save myself the costs and try to sell it raw. That's one book that sells in low grade rather well.

Hey Joe,

Where you going with that gun in your...whoops, wrong Joe. Welcome to the boards! Has your son read those FFs, TTAs and ASMs? If he has and hasn't caught the comic bug, he's probably destined for other things.

Good luck selling your stuff. One thing about comics collecting is that there's something for all interests and budgets -- hope you find something you still like to read.

Hello and sorry for such a long post!

I have just completed my first CGC submission form and will be shipping it today. I have a few questions hopefully some here can help me with, but first, a little introduction....

I USED to be a comic collector, now I am just a keeper. While there was some growing displeasure in my collecting at the time, there was one moment that kicked me out of collecting since the early 90's ( I suppose I am not the only person who left comics from this period, just like baseball lost all those fans in the late 80's). It was the first issue of the McFarlane Spider-Man. As a Marvel collector and Spider-man most enthusiastically, I bought all of the covers to put in my collection and then read that Mavel was issuing the "platinum" edition for the dealers that made it all possible. I was naive enough to think it was the collectors and readers, but that's just me....... Anyway, I haven't collected since and have been waiting for my son to get into it. Ain't gonna happen. He DOES seem to like the idea of trying to sell some books - clever kid - but also the notion of selling off books to try to buy other books. So here I am, trying to start selling my beloved collection as an activity to do with my son and as a means of buying other things - I have an original piece of George Herriman artwork in mind.

So, my questions. I was thinking of selling on ComicLink. I've read so much lately trying to get back up to speed that I'm confusing myself. Does ComicLink grade the comics for you, so potential buyers can trust the grading? If so, does this mean that you can sell non CGC books and get close to CGC prices? I'm talking about selling books that are say ASM 50 - 125, TTA, Surfer, FF etc. in fine or above condition. Any suggestions? I don't want to sell them as a block.

Also, I have an Amazing Fantasy 15 that I think would grade a sound 1.0! Is it worth it for me to get this graded by CGC? The book is tight, but very brown, worn, and with drawing on the cover (some kid colored the balck part of the costume). Ther is scotch tape along the inside from probably the 60's that is falling off now. If I scan it and pop it on ebay it may go higher than it should because will LOOK better than it is in a scan (for example, even in person you need to tilt the book to notice the cover drawing). If I CGC it, then it can be buyer beware - but would I recoup the cost?

Anyway, that's enough. Hello all.

Feel free to give us a call if you need professional advice as so how to maximize your return when you are selling books. Some of the information you are receiving here is accurate, some is not...

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

Email - buysell@comiclink.com

718/246-0300

So here I am, trying to start selling my beloved collection as an activity to do with my son and as a means of buying other things - I have an original piece of George Herriman artwork in mind.

Original Artwork is a great investment. Selling comics to achieve that goal is laudable, reasonable, and quite sensible.

jackie2.jpg

Good luck with your selling endeavors.

I would NOT recommend selling your books strictly on these boards. This is a VERY limited market compared to Ebay, Pedigree and Comiclink. If people on these boards trust your grading you may get better percentage returns than ebay on VF/NM and below raw books. Anything published pre 1975 and is NM or better, in some cases NM- you should have slabbed and sell through CL or Pedigree.