• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this anything? Ask the experts: Jumbo #160, Robert F Taylor
1 1

12 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, path4play said:

Picked up on feeBay on a lark.  I'm assuming this is a paste up for a film negative to create a plate?  Anyone have any ideas?

comix331.thumb.jpg.2ea77b2d87764cdb34050322f434c0d5.jpg

"Original art" for house ad for Fiction House (which is not really "original art," but paste ups of which you are missing four).  

Edited by sfcityduck

Yeah it's the "original art"for the inside front cover ad page. It's pasted up photostats of the covers. In the days before photocopiers it was the photostat machine they'd use to copy things and reduce the size of things. Looks like the only thing that was hand drawn was the lines around the covers.

6 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Yeah it's the "original art"for the inside front cover ad page. It's pasted up photostats of the covers. In the days before photocopiers it was the photostat machine they'd use to copy things and reduce the size of things. Looks like the only thing that was hand drawn was the lines around the covers.

Thanks, photostat, that is the word I was looking for.  Yeah, they added a little to the edge hand drawn.  Note sure if the other 4 images were removed or if this was an earlier version that was tossed.  Its a view into the creation/printing process that is also interesting to me.

15 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Based on the match of the funky line drawn boot off the bottom edge of the photostat of Western Romances, I'd say that's a 100% match.  I guess the other four photostat images fell off or were removed later....   I'm going to blame the doodling Robert F Taylor whomever he was!

Edited by path4play

Very cool piece. I think you could have stats made and aged of the missing books. Would be a great piece framed.

I got these on ebay. Not line art but photo covers. Consists of an original retouched photo then stats were made with all the type pasted in. I really like these and the price was real reasonable. The second one came with no photo and no title paste-up.I even got the finished comic for this one.

nyoka36art2.jpg

nyoka36art3.jpg

nyoka35art1.jpg

nyoka35art2.jpg

nyoka35art3.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

10 hours ago, path4play said:

Thanks, photostat, that is the word I was looking for.  Yeah, they added a little to the edge hand drawn.  Note sure if the other 4 images were removed or if this was an earlier version that was tossed.  Its a view into the creation/printing process that is also interesting to me.

I use to work with photostats. They were replaced when computers and printers became wide spread. Photocopiers never replaced photostats, photostats were perfect reproduction and crisp art and type on photo paper using giant cameras. Still better than printers being used now.