• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil 1
3 3

39 posts in this topic

Are the staples rusty? Any migration?  

I always find these books tricky to grade. If the water damage wasn't there, I think you would be at 6.0 / 6.5. Now, I've learned that water damage is hammered pretty hard. 

It's on the bc / fc and interior. I think its going to be a 3.5ish. 

I'll be curious to hear what others have to say. 

18 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

water damage is hammered pretty hard. 

I'm sure there are those of us that have seen textbook 9.2s relegated to between 7.0 to 8.0 findings due to a moisture ring that's barely perceptible and only on the surface. Those back cover corner stains go right through the entire book, affecting the pages and front cover also as far as the image indicates. These type of stains are typically seen on basement stored books. Books that spent long term storage in moist environs, though this one looks to be most greatly impacted by one event of seepage; exposure to something that spilled and then leeched into the paper closest to the spill. 

At any rate, a shame because it's a beautiful DD1 with fresh cover whites, not having been stored long term in a hot environment. I'd estimate the overall grade to be 3.0. 

On the open market, this book will bring twice the amount of the usual 3.0, usually with a huge accumulation of flaws. Creases cris-crossing the covers, tape repairs, splits, pieces out, chips, ragged edges, etc.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

These type of stains are typically seen on basement stored books. Books that spent long term storage in moist environs, though this one looks to be most greatly impacted by one event of seepage; exposure to something that spilled and then leeched into the paper closest to the spill. 

At any rate, a shame because it's a beautiful DD1 with fresh cover whites, not having been stored long term in a hot environment. I'd estimate the overall grade to be 3.0. 

Agree with everything here. 

The silver lining in this case is, the FC looks great and it will look great in s slab. You rescued it!

13 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I'm sure there are those of us that have seen textbook 9.2s relegated to between 7.0 to 8.0 findings due to a moisture ring that's barely perceptible and only on the surface. Those back cover corner stains go right through the entire book, affecting the pages and front cover also as far as the image indicates. These type of stains are typically seen on basement stored books. Books that spent long term storage in moist environs, though this one looks to be most greatly impacted by one event of seepage; exposure to something that spilled and then leeched into the paper closest to the spill. 

On the open market, this book will bring twice the amount of the usual 3.0, usually with a huge accumulation of flaws. Creases cris-crossing the covers, tape repairs, splits, pieces out, chips, ragged edges, etc.

Would getting it cleaned and pressed help it at all?

4 minutes ago, Empir3 said:

Would getting it cleaned and pressed help it at all?

There are a few things going on with the front cover that a press could clean up, but in this case it won't improve the grade IMO.  

What brings it down to that 3.0 range is the water stain, which a press and dry clean won't help. 

Edited by KCOComics

4 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

There are a few things going on with the front cover that a press could clean up, but in this case it won't improve the grade IMO.  

What brings it down to that 3.0 range is the water stain, which a press and dry clean won't help. 

Ok thanks this is my first venture into anything like this .