• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spinner racks

19 posts in this topic

I have been thinking of getting a spinner rack for even more comic related decorations in my office. I was wondering a few things.

What is a good price for one?

How many others here actually own one of them.

Since they are so big and bulky finding one in the area seems to be the best bet.

I just came across one, but it is relatively new and Marvel only. Of course I am mainly a DC guy so not sure if I want it on display

Are you talking about the old wire style, or one with wood backing and a clear plastic facing like a magazine rack?

Used to own a wire rack for paperback books. Found by a dumpster outside a mall. Tried to use it but I kept bumping into it and knocking it over.

But the wood style I've seen at nice book stores look pretty sturdy.

I am talking about the old wire rack style that I ( and many other old timers) first bought our comics from 30+ years ago. Ah i remember the days when on my way home from jr high school I would stop at the pharmacy and spend way too much time perusing the books while deciding on which ones I could buy. I certainly learned my 12X multiplication tables at that time.

I bought one locally from forum member The Blob, it's a real beauty. Wire racks, very sturdy, yellow retangular top display that says COMICS on it, spins easily, and makes that beautiful

SQUEEEEEE

sound when turned, as all good spinner racks should...

I am talking about the old wire rack style that I ( and many other old timers) first bought our comics from 30+ years ago. Ah i remember the days when on my way home from jr high school I would stop at the pharmacy and spend way too much time perusing the books while deciding on which ones I could buy. I certainly learned my 12X multiplication tables at that time.

Displays2go has different style racks. A bit on the pricey side though.

web page

WRK9393B_n.jpg

I bought one locally from forum member The Blob, it's a real beauty. Wire racks, very sturdy, yellow retangular top display that says COMICS on it, spins easily, and makes that beautiful

SQUEEEEEE

sound when turned, as all good spinner racks should...

893applaud-thumb.gif

I want one!!!

well, i guess the $50 I'm charging the other forum member who has dibs whenever I can get it out of storage 2 hours away isn't paying so much. well, i didn't pay for it, immoral to profiteer off the closing of my old LCS, well, except for all the books I bought at 85% off that I'm trying to sell on ebay.

The ones i remember always had rectangular signs at the top that said "Hey Kids! Comics!" Had head shots of Archie, Superman, Batman & Spider-Man too. You could probably get different signs.

Those are the ones I have...if anyone is interested i'm in Connecticut... thumbsup2.gif

The ones i remember always had rectangular signs at the top that said "Hey Kids! Comics!" Had head shots of Archie, Superman, Batman & Spider-Man too. You could probably get different signs.

Those are the ones I have...if anyone is interested i'm in Connecticut... thumbsup2.gif

Drive one down to San Diego & I'll take it off your hands. devil.gif

As long as you pay for gas... Christo_pull_hair.gif

As long as you pay for gas... Christo_pull_hair.gif

confused.gif Guess I'll have to pass, for now. sorry.gif

hi.gifyay.gif

Hey, that's the style of rack that I won on ebay a few years ago when Marvel was moving their offices. They were also selling their Board of Director doors at the same time for $15,000. Anyway, I won a spinner rack from their office and got lucky for a couple of reasons. One, they shipped the thing as-is, basically full of comics, about 400 of 'em. I sold the books for about 50 cents each on ebay and paid for the rack and then some. Secondly, they didn't charge me shipping. They were suppossed to send me a second invoice with shipping costs once it was sent but that never happeded. Yes, I did ask for it twice.

Anyway, I kept the shipping invoice along with the auction listing and e-mails to prove that I bought this from Marvel. I don't know how old it is but I'd like to think that it was kicking around their office when the old Marvel Bullpen was in full swing in the sixties. More likely it was made in the late 80's as it was full of books from 1991 to 1995 confused-smiley-013.gif

My LCS has about 10 vintage spinner racks with various signage (Dell Comics Are GOOD Comics, Hey Kids, etc.)

I was interested and he just won't sell them. He claims to have turned down offers as high as $1,000. confused-smiley-013.gif

The artwork appeared to be the same for about 30 years, so I really don't know how you'd tell a 60s spinner rack from an 80s rack.

The key is finding an old newsstand, drug store or deli that is closing and buy out the racks. The problem is that most of these type of stores that actually had the comic racks have been gone for a decade or more.