• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Percent of New Comics Would Rate 9.8?

7 posts in this topic

I submitted 18 copies of Thor 337 and got 2 9.8s, 3 9.6s, 1 9.4, not a single 9,2, a bunch of 9.0s and a single 8.5

I bought these comics all together about two months after the issue came out and kept them stored pretty well.

Would this percentage just be a normal percentage of ANY comic?  

Maybe out of let's say, 20 random "new' comics, maybe 1 or 2 would be a 9.8?

The world of 9,8 or nothing is fairly new to me.

Thanks!

I think at most stores if you were the first buyer into the shop Wednesday morning and got to pick any comic that sells at least twenty issues monthly you’d find at least one or two, as many as 4-5 if the store is pretty careful.  Of course if your local shop doesn’t stock 20 of that issue or you’re not the first one in, things could get tough.  

6 minutes ago, revat said:

I think at most stores if you were the first buyer into the shop Wednesday morning and got to pick any comic that sells at least twenty issues monthly you’d find at least one or two, as many as 4-5 if the store is pretty careful.  Of course if your local shop doesn’t stock 20 of that issue or you’re not the first one in, things could get tough.  

Thanks.  Wow I'm surprised you think there could actually be 4 -5 if they're careful.  

On 9/5/2020 at 12:11 PM, Tafkap said:

I submitted 18 copies of Thor 337 and got 2 9.8s, 3 9.6s, 1 9.4, not a single 9,2, a bunch of 9.0s and a single 8.5

I bought these comics all together about two months after the issue came out and kept them stored pretty well.

Would this percentage just be a normal percentage of ANY comic?  

Maybe out of let's say, 20 random "new' comics, maybe 1 or 2 would be a 9.8?

The world of 9,8 or nothing is fairly new to me.

Thanks!

Thor 337 is 35 years old and printed on rag paper. You can't compare the results with what 20 moderns would score.

I would say you could grab a handful of books on today's shelves and (provided they were put there with care) come away with a handful on 9.8s

Books from the 80s and older, much harder. Even if you come across a stack of them in a collection or "warehouse find". So many variables.

As someone who does not get books graded or buy graded books, the 9.8 obsession is foreign to me. But then again, so might my fascination with oddities like Diamond inserts to others. It takes all kinds for this hobby to thrive, so if ya just gotta have that 9.8, go for it!