• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping oversea to CGC

14 posts in this topic

I’m in the UK and just shipped my first comic, I declared the full value but marked it as gift (potentially incorrectly), but I’m a little concerned that CGC will get customs fees and make me pay for it. Has that happened to anyone before and do most of you mark as gift also?

Edited by Scott Dellar

20 minutes ago, Scott Dellar said:

I’m in the UK and just shipped my first comic, I declared the full value but marked it as gift (potentially incorrectly), but I’m a little concerned that CGC will get customs fees and make me pay for it. Has that happened to anyone before and do most of you mark as gift also?

They wont since there are no customs fees when an individual, like you, sends any kind of mail to the US. What you should do next time though is write that the item is "to be returned".

I’m not sure, but I believe the UK has a Cgc office

27 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

They wont since there are no customs fees when an individual, like you, sends any kind of mail to the US. What you should do next time though is write that the item is "to be returned".

Ah, I see. Is that regardless of value? We get destroyed in customs fees when the value is like £1,000 or so. 

15 minutes ago, Scott Dellar said:

Ah, I see. Is that regardless of value? We get destroyed in customs fees when the value is like £1,000 or so. 

Yup, regardless of value. And it's in your best interest to report the right value because if you don't and it gets lost, then the royal mail won't give you anything back. By the way, isn't there a london office you can ship to instead?

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

Yup, regardless of value. And it's in your best interest to report the right value because if you don't and it gets lost, then the royal mail won't give you anything back. By the way, isn't there a london office you can ship to instead?

Yeah I declared full value and insured. I looked into the UK office - it goes through NGC but you have to sign up to their membership program to be able to post there...don’t fancy that after just buying a CGC membership.

1 hour ago, Scott Dellar said:

Yeah I declared full value and insured. I looked into the UK office - it goes through NGC but you have to sign up to their membership program to be able to post there...don’t fancy that after just buying a CGC membership.

That sounds kind of nuts. Contact them since the way you are going about it right now is needlessly inefficient.

1 hour ago, Ready Fire Aim said:

You should check into this because it doesn't sound right. If it is right it's BS to have to buy 2 memberships :screwy:

34 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

That sounds kind of nuts. Contact them since the way you are going about it right now is needlessly inefficient.

This is what’s confusing - I just now tried submitting to the UK office and it greys out the postal option saying “you can only mail into headquarters” aka Florida. Looking at the NGC page, there’s nothing about signing up with them for comic grading or even posting to them, just coins...probably easier to figure out the Da Vinci code.

Edited by Scott Dellar

27 minutes ago, Scott Dellar said:

This is what’s confusing - I just now tried submitting to the UK office and it greys out the postal option saying “you can only mail into headquarters” aka Florida. Looking at the NGC page, there’s nothing about signing up with them for comic grading only coins...glad I signed up for the “Premium” membership 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

They probably don't want to deal with the insurance responsibility of shipping expensive books internationally.

Post your issue on the Forum below. I'm curious to see how they respond.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/

If it’s not too late, I’d cal/email directly and have them walk you through the exact step by step process

17 hours ago, Chazgee said:

They probably don't want to deal with the insurance responsibility of shipping expensive books internationally.

Post your issue on the Forum below. I'm curious to see how they respond.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/

So, I got a response to this from CGC...not sure if that’s answered my question 🤔 

8C0B3E45-482B-43F1-9443-4D59FB92E220.jpeg

Edited by Scott Dellar

34 minutes ago, Scott Dellar said:

So, I got a response to this from CGC...not sure if that’s answered my question 🤔 

8C0B3E45-482B-43F1-9443-4D59FB92E220.jpeg

I’m not sure either, but No harm in contacting London office

5 hours ago, DunkedOn said:

So we can submit directly to the US then? Submitting through NGC adds another 2 weeks or so to an already lengthy process so it would be quicker going direct.

Sounds like it, but honestly you should contact CGC directly to walk you through the options so you choose the best one for yourself and your situation and your cost preferences.  If you send it yourself to America it might be faster, but then you might have to deal with all the customs and tariff stuff, and assume all the risk in transit.  It may be a better choice, but I would make sure I knew as much as possible before choosing an option.

good luck