• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower grades for better comics??

6 posts in this topic

It's impossible to give a meaningful response to your observations, because we don't see what you see. If you have concerns like this, photos help. With that said, some things to consider:

• Technical grades are not intended to be a measure of the visual appeal of a book.
  • Some "defects" may not count against grade, or count less, because they are production defects. Bindery chipping is the big offender here, but for some eras of books, that may also include printers' creases and other production defects not generally seen in Modern books.

But it's also possible that you have a better book in a slab with a lower grade:

• CGC does sometimes make mistakes in grading. They're not nearly as common as some people here believe (the forum vastly oversamples slabs with problems, because people come to complain; no one makes a thread to say "my books look like the grade it says on the slab").
  • Post-encapsulation damage is possible also. Some variants of the slab / slab process have been more prone to internal shifting and damage than others (see various threads about shaken comic syndrome); it's possible that a slab with a high grade on an undeserving book didn't start that way.

On 9/10/2020 at 3:39 AM, j_man said:

I have several older graded comics from cgc with better grades than recent ones in better condition... is this pressing thing ironically making it harder to get better grades ?? Something is up

This is very hard to understand your meaning. Here is what I am reading...

You have older books graded from CGC. Maybe an ASM 194 or a Thor #300? Who knows?

You are saying that the grades on these books are "better grades than recent ones in better condition". The "recent ones" to me means recent comics. So you are seeing that your old comics are graded higher than recent comics that, to you, look better? That is not impossible. There are plenty of high graded "older comics" and compared to some "recent ones", it is very possible to have a higher graded Thor #300 than say a copy of Venom #3.

Finally, you ask if "pressing ironically makes it harder to get better grades", suggesting you think the invention of pressing is actually hurting comics? Like making it harder to get higher grades? I feel almost 99% confident in saying at worse, a press will maintain the same grade the book would have gotten if unpressed. Actually, sorry, if you are using an amateur presser, there is the chance the book can be damaged. But assuming you go with a professional service or event an extremely competent collector who presses as a side biz and does great work, at WORST, you can have a 9.0 book get pressed and still be a 9.0 book. At best, a slight bump and, in some cases that bump is huge. 

The only thing that is "up" is a usage of a service that 15-20 years ago was (by my knowledge) not very prominent and now is.  

On 9/10/2020 at 3:39 AM, j_man said:

I have several older graded comics from cgc with better grades than recent ones in better condition... is this pressing thing ironically making it harder to get better grades ?? Something is up

You'll have to explain a bit better because I don't understand that sentence. Pics would help too.