• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st silver age appearance of Alan Scott
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hey CGC, I don’t want any trouble or problems but..... What does CGC consider to be the first silver appearance of Alan Scott ? I can’t find a single CGC book with “ 1st silver age appearance of Alan Scott” and he is a very significant and historic character. I don’t want to waste my time and money sending in the wrong book.  I know you can send a sticky note but I need to know which book to send in and will the correct label be printed? 

• Administrator

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your message.  I did check with our graders on this and they advised that CGC acknowledges GREEN LANTERN #40 as Alan Scott's first Silver Age appearance. However, due to the fact that we already put a number of key comments on the label for this book such as: "Golden Age Green Lantern crossover. 1st appearance of Krona. Crisis begins. Origin of the Guardians" we do not, unfortunately, have the room on our labels to add the first appearance notation in this case.  

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

5 hours ago, Jimmy11 said:

Are we talking about his civilian identity? Because GA GL is on the cover of JLA #22 which came out years before GL #40. I believe Showcase #55 also pre-dates GL # 40.

Showcase 55 is April 1965; GL 40 is October 1965. JLA 22 is September of 1963--significantly earlier. For that matter, JLA 38 also features GA GL on the cover, and it is September 1965, predating GL 40 (but not Showcase 55).

Edited by bpc3qh

6 hours ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your message.  I did check with our graders on this and they advised that CGC acknowledges GREEN LANTERN #40 as Alan Scott's first Silver Age appearance. However, due to the fact that we already put a number of key comments on the label for this book such as: "Golden Age Green Lantern crossover. 1st appearance of Krona. Crisis begins. Origin of the Guardians" we do not, unfortunately, have the room on our labels to add the first appearance notation in this case.  

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

Thank you for your reply!

45 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

Showcase 55 is April 1965; GL 40 is October 1965. JLA 22 is September of 1963--significantly earlier. For that matter, JLA 38 also features GA GL on the cover, and it is September 1965, predating GL 40 (but not Showcase 55).

I’ll probably end up purchasing a high copy of Showcase 55 since it states: 1st solo silver age appearance of Alan Scott,  on the label, but The Flash 129 (1962) also featured Alan Scott ( in flashback) and so does The Flash 137(1963).   That’s why, I don’t know man, I still wish his 1st silver age appearance was on the label, because every single member of the legion of superheroes has a spot on the label. Like how does bouncing boy ( Action Comics 276) get a spot but not Alan Scott? Lol

I was just thinking about this very issue a month or two ago when I was looking at JLA 21-22. In my opinion the first JLA-JSA crossover in 1963 is his first SA appearance.

Don't sleep on Bouncing Boy he will wreck you.

Definitely don't try to wrap your head around "pre-Silver Age" Martian Manhunter stories which came before Showcase #4.

1 hour ago, Jimmy11 said:

Why are you so hung up on what the label says? As you can see from Jennifer's response, CGC is not necessarily an authority on appearances. 

That was my bad, as I misunderstood exactly what was being asked.  

Here is an answer to better answer the original question:

Alan Scott and the rest of the Justice Society made a gradual reintroduction into DC's Silver Age.

In FLASH #129, Alan Scott (with other members of the JSA) appears in a very quick flashback as Jay Garrick reminisces about them . They team members aren't physically present, though.

In FLASH #137, the JSA physically appears for the 1st time in the Silver Age (appearing in several pages) where they decide to reform the JSA after having been in retirement.

In JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #21-22, the JSA returns as an ongoing part of the DC universe, and it begins their annual team-ups with the JLA. 

In SHOWCASE #55, Alan Scott appears in his first solo Silver Age appearance (apart from the JSA), though he is teamed-up with Doctor Fate and Hourman.

Edited by BradleyX2

9 hours ago, Jimmy11 said:

Why are you so hung up on what the label says? As you can see from Jennifer's response, CGC is not necessarily an authority on appearances. 

Because your average buyer is lol, for many customers, you can claim whatever you like, but if what you say is not listed on the label they do not consider it to be true.  And as far CGC being authority on appearances, yeah they kinda are, which is why many fight so hard to get new appearances listed on the label, especially on these overhyped modern books. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy11 said:

How do people that dumb even earn enough money to buy comics?

Only if you've drunk the CGC koolaid, have never heard of Overstreet, can't think for yourself, or started collecting in the past 10 years. You know - dolts.

I love when they get denied lol the things they ask for are just ridiculous. Embarrassing even.

I agree on all your points lol