• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature placement on Slabs

18 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Jimmy11 said:

It's right on their frontpage  Pick any artist, the rules are the same.

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/events/

I didn’t see where they addressed the question in the link.

my guess would be that you could send a window bag along w your book, or possibly leave a note, but I’d contact Cgc directly and ask if you don’t see it anywhere on the website (maybe I missed it?). 

1 minute ago, Jimmy11 said:

• Put ALL ungraded books in window bags or they will not be accepted.
  • Books that are already certified by CGC, including CGC Signature Series books, can be submitted for this event. CGC will remove a CGC-certified book from its holder an additional $5 fee"

I'm not sure what part of that answered OPs question about graded books and signature location.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy11 said:

All raw books must be submitted with a window bag. You make the window bag yourself, so that takes care of signature location. Did the OP have another question?

raw = ungraded

slabbed = graded

OP is talking about a book that's already graded.  It's a little more difficult to make a precise window for a book that's in a plastic case.  That said, it can be done and a windowed bag should still be sent with the book imo.

Edited by ExNihilo

Just now, Jimmy11 said:
4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

OP is talking about a book that's already graded.

Why do you say that? 

19 hours ago, gcarvera said:

Hello,

How do we tell CGC where and what we want to get the comic signed if we are sending a slab? Do I tape a note or something with arrows? Thanks

He says he's sending a slab.  That's why we're saying it isn't specifically addressed, although one can make inferences, its not an unreasonable question to ask.

2 minutes ago, revat said:
4 minutes ago, Jimmy11 said:
8 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

OP is talking about a book that's already graded.

Why do you say that? 

20 hours ago, gcarvera said:

Hello,

How do we tell CGC where and what we want to get the comic signed if we are sending a slab? Do I tape a note or something with arrows? Thanks

He says he's sending a slab.  That's why we're saying it isn't specifically addressed, although one can make inferences, its not an unreasonable question to ask.

To be fair, not everyone knows that a 'slab' means a graded comic which is then encased in a hard protective shell, which is also understandable.  In this context, "slab" means a comic already graded by CGC,  

Edited by revat

1 minute ago, Jimmy11 said:

Wait are you saying he wants the signature on the outside of the case?

He wants the book removed from the case in order for a signature to be added.  This refers to the second bullet point you provided from the CGC site.

• Books that are already certified by CGC, including CGC Signature Series books, can be submitted for this event. CGC will remove a CGC-certified book from its holder an additional $5 fee"

The book will then be re-graded and encased in a plastic shell and is able to maintain the yellow Signature Series label.

Just now, Jimmy11 said:

Same question as above.

Which one?  About still making a windowed bag?  Yes, as I stated earlier in this thread, in my opinion, that should be the recommended procedure regardless of whether the book is raw or slabbed.  Again, it's what I do when submitting slabbed books through 3rd party facilitators.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy11 said:
14 minutes ago, revat said:

Wouldn't you just make a windowbag and send it with the slab? It's gonna be raw eventually.

I do think its reasonable to infer that you 'could' do as you are suggesting.  But the way it is written on the website, it seems like they very clearly distinguish between submitting "raw" vs "slabbed", and appear to give very specific directions for each.  But it's hard to know from reading if there is an 'allowable' procedure vs the best possible procedure to follow for slabbed.  Thus, I think the question.  Maybe they're wondering if CGC will provide a window bag (we don't all have extra ones at home), or if they can exercise their professional judgment on the best place for the signature.  

Again what you inferred does seem reasonable, but based on the specificity of the writing for the raw situation, one would expect more detailed instructions for the 'slabbed' situation, and absent that specificity, I would ask a question, just to be sure i'm getting it right when talking about a valued collectible involved with a relatively expensive service i'm paying for.

I do think the question should go to CGC customer service just so you know all your options and the best possible way to ensure you get what you want

Edited by revat

I prefer letting the artist decide where to sign... Although in my experience from his CGC signing, Frank Miller would be an exception since he only used a black marker and didn't seem to give a hoot if he signed in a dark area.

I just paid almost $200 for the Sam/Bagley signing; bottom line is, CGC is going to do whatever THEY want..!!!
UNLESS WE START FIGHTING BACK ALREADY..!!!

The whole "Window Bag" is BS; at the end of all the fine print they say you get what you get and tuff luck to you bye...!
To sum it up; I know because as a 1st time submitting for one of their in-house signings I wasted my time Cutting a bag up to have Sam sign and Sketch up top and Bags sign on the bottom....

The Note on the back and the note on the actual order said Sam on top and Bags on bottom...
Ive seen a few other photos of books done during that signing and it looks like EVERYONE got the same layout..! 

So do not hold your breath and do not expect to get what you asked for either... 
And surely do not expect to get anywhere if you have a problem the only person who works at CGC is some old lady Named Melissa whos hearing aid is turned all the way up and she thinks everyone is always yelling at her... 

I dont know; but my First time experiences with both CGC & CBCS so far have hands down SUCKED..!!!

Its the 21st Century and both these companies still do not run a business with a good user interface..!
They are asking me to confirm a billing charge to a card that I have on file with them..?
Where do I see that Information at..?
Oh thats right this website is from 1999 and doesnt have any of the 21st Century website tech that even 3rd World Africa has better websites to do business on than this..!

CGC is doing business like its 1950 still with paper forms and invoices and this whole one person send an emaiil that they got the item and then someone else to confirm billing and then you have to call a # where one guy answers the phone and hes out to lunch most the day...
Its like how do we the USERS have NO ACCESS to OUR OWN (Billing & Shipping) DATA..?

CGC does not care; I suggest EVERYONE file a Federal Complaint against CGC for not following Federal Shipping Laws & Not being ADA compliant... 

Im filing mine right now; because I called 2-weeks ago to file a complaint and no one has gotten back to me at all yet..!

Im not dealing with back and forth emails and defunct user interface and ancient billing system in the 21st Century..!!!

41 minutes ago, DANNiE D said:

I just paid almost $200 for the Sam/Bagley signing; bottom line is, CGC is going to do whatever THEY want..!!!

The whole "Window Bag" is BS; at the end of all the fine print they say you get what you get and tuff luck to you bye...!
To sum it up; I know because as a 1st time submitting for one of their in-house signings I wasted my time Cutting a bag up to have Sam sign and Sketch up top and Bags sign on the bottom....

The Note on the back and the note on the actual order said Sam on top and Bags on bottom...
Ive seen a few other photos of books done during that signing and it looks like EVERYONE got the same layout..! 

So do not hold your breath and do not expect to get what you asked for either... 
And surely do not expect to get anywhere if you have a problem the only person who works at CGC is some old lady Named Melissa whos hearing aid is turned all the way up and she thinks everyone is always yelling at her... 

I dont know; but my First time experiences with both CGC & CBCS so far have hands down SUCKED..!!!

Its the 21st Century and both these companies still do not run a business with a good user interface..!
They are asking me to confirm a billing charge to a card that I have on file with them..?
Oh thats right this website is from 1999 and doesnt have any of the 21st Century website tech that even 3rd World Africa has better websites to do business on than this..!

CGC is doing business like its 1950 still with paper forms and invoices and this whole one person send an emaiil that they got the item and then someone else to confirm billing and then you have to call a # where one guy answers the phone and hes out to lunch most the day...
Its like how do we the USERS have NO ACCESS to OUR OWN (Billing & Shipping) DATA..?

CGC does not care; I suggest EVERYONE file a Federal Complaint against CGC for not following Federal Shipping Laws & Not being ADA compliant... 

Im filing mine right now; because I called 2-weeks ago to file a complaint and no one has gotten back to me at all yet..!

Im not dealing with back and forth emails and defunct user interface and ancient billing system in the 21st Century..!!!

Are you complaining about a book you haven't gotten back yet?  Or did you get your book back and can clearly see the signature placement wasn't what you asked for?  Hopefully on the window borders you wrote "Sam sign here please" and "Mark sign here please" and hopefully the creators would see that and sign accordingly.

Worst case scenario, it comes back like the WW2 treaty below where Canada signed on the wrong line and messed it up for everyone else (thanks Canada!).

nw54ut54moix.jpg?width=575&auto=webp&s=2b5544f0830ee31bd0fc03270e919e5459d0fc86

1 hour ago, DANNiE D said:

I agree that they could modernize faster, especially with regard to user interface for customers.  I understand why it's not a priority, but they should for sure be more modern.

As for the window bags, play some devil's advocate and ask yourself why they might have the window bag policies they have, why they might have the fine print they have, and what some better solutions are.  I'm not saying it doesn't suck to spend time and resources making window bags only to pay money for an artist to sign in some other place on the book, but I can see where the CGC policy comes from, not that its necessarily perfect, but its definitely not some unconscionable travesty of injustice.

one of my first submissions was for the stegman/cates signing. i cut and marked two areas for each artist. they both signed in the same area and it's kinda hard to see but i think they just were signing quickly. if you watch the instagram stories when the artists come in, they sit at a table and comics are passed to them and slid to the side. it's not an assembly line but sometimes the artists are talking to the camera while signing so maybe yours just happened to get that treatment where the artists' attention was elsewhere. sucks but i'm not asking them for anything (got a 9.8 anyway). sucks you haven't heard back but i'm also wondering what your complaint to them is.