• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth Buying Signed Comics?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Hope everyones doing well! 

Quick question, I'm looking at a few Dceased Variants on eBay that are signed and remarked by Stefano Gaudiano who I believe was an artist/inker on the Dceased storyline. The sketches are really cool in my opinion and some of them are certain covers I've been looking for, they aren't very expensive (some linked below for examples). My question is, do you think it's worth it to buy any of them? I enjoyed the Dceased storyline, and I want some of the variant covers, would you think it's worth it to buy the Gaudiano remarked ones or should I just get the raw unsigned ones? They are being sold by Comic Asylum, which is a shop in Texas who hosted Gaudiano and another Dceased artist for a meet and greet back in 2019.

I'm new into collecting, so any feedback is greatly appreciated!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DCeased-2-Bulletproof-Variant-Stefano-Gaudiano-Remarked-Original-Sketch-COA/114229114266?hash=item1a9895f59a:g:irAAAOSwMmpexBDR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DCeased-2-main-cover-Stefano-Gaudiano-Remarked-signed-original-Sketch-COA/114182402465?hash=item1a95cd31a1:g:PFkAAOSwKNpekd5C

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DCeased-5-Foil-Variant-Stefano-Gaudiano-Remarked-Original-Sketch-COA/114229341018?hash=item1a98996b5a:g:cqQAAOSwnaVexE5U 

Edited by Nightwingsbutler

If you’re looking to invest, there’s probably better selections

if you like the artist, the comic, and the remark for yourself, the price seems reasonable, assuming your not spending your rent money

buy what you enjoy if you can afford it 

2 hours ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

Hey all,

Hope everyones doing well! 

Quick question, I'm looking at a few Dceased Variants on eBay that are signed and remarked by Stefano Gaudiano who I believe was an artist/inker on the Dceased storyline. The sketches are really cool in my opinion and some of them are certain covers I've been looking for, they aren't very expensive (some linked below for examples). My question is, do you think it's worth it to buy any of them? I enjoyed the Dceased storyline, and I want some of the variant covers, would you think it's worth it to buy the Gaudiano remarked ones or should I just get the raw unsigned ones? They are being sold by Comic Asylum, which is a shop in Texas who hosted Gaudiano and another Dceased artist for a meet and greet back in 2019.

I'm new into collecting, so any feedback is greatly appreciated!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DCeased-2-Bulletproof-Variant-Stefano-Gaudiano-Remarked-Original-Sketch-COA/114229114266?hash=item1a9895f59a:g:irAAAOSwMmpexBDR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DCeased-2-main-cover-Stefano-Gaudiano-Remarked-signed-original-Sketch-COA/114182402465?hash=item1a95cd31a1:g:PFkAAOSwKNpekd5C

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DCeased-5-Foil-Variant-Stefano-Gaudiano-Remarked-Original-Sketch-COA/114229341018?hash=item1a98996b5a:g:cqQAAOSwnaVexE5U 

If you are asking yourself that question, then I would say no. Items like this are really just for the individual themselves where you buy because you like it, not because it is worth it. 

Basically, if they are available on e-bay right now, and not snapped up right away, then technically they are worth at most what you are paying, if not less.

Are you ok with your copy of Dceased 2 that you bought for 30$ to only be worth 20$? If the answer is no, then steer clear of these.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate your inputs, it’s kind of a mix of holding because I like and also for future worth, because some of the Dceased variant covers do go for decent money at a 9.8 (I was looking at comic go collect), and probably will go up over time due to their rarity. Thanks again!

23 minutes ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

Thanks guys! Really appreciate your inputs, it’s kind of a mix of holding because I like and also for future worth, because some of the Dceased variant covers do go for decent money at a 9.8 (I was looking at comic go collect), and probably will go up over time due to their rarity. Thanks again!

It's a very niche marketplace where any of the really well known creators have done hundreds of signings and any of the lesser known ones have less buyer demand.

If you want creator signatures, I think just get the ones that really mean something to you.

54 minutes ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

Then that answers the question, don't buy them. Because that decent money is only on universal and yellow label 9.8s. if you send this to CGC you will get a green label and thus your product will not be counted as part of the same market as the 9.8s you look at. These are not meant to be sent in for grading. That's why they havent been snatched up yet. If you think there is a chance they go up over time, then you are way better off buying a comic that is already graded 9.8 now.

One important thing to remember, rarity alone will NOT contribute to future worth. You need interest and demand as well. There are tons of rare golden age comics that have less than 100 copies known to exist out there that you can buy for $50 or less since people just don't care about them. If few care about these variants 20 years from now, then their prices will either fall or cease to grow.

Edited by William-James88

As a collector, I don't worry AT ALL about future worth of my personal collection. I buy what I like, enjoy it and it does so happen that a lot of it has value but I don't care about that. I am not looking at the end of the rainbow. Realistically, if I can get the money back in 50 years when I am old and grey (or pass them along), I would be happy.

If you are buying because you like but also want to see it gain in value, signed copies of comics that are hot in the moment can be tough. It may go for money now, but that interest could really drop in the future. Also, if it does go down in value, will that upset you? If that is the feeling you would have, don't buy it. I have comics in my PC that I overpaid on if viewed as an investment but I am fine with it because I don't view it like that.

Honestly if it were me I would probably get one. The 1st and 3rd look cool. They're only $30-$50 each and if you're into the series/ artist then it's a pretty cheap way to have some of their art and sig. They almost certainly won't go up in value, and there's no way to get them slabbed in a SS holder, but its still pretty decent value for the price. I'd pick the one I liked the best and throw it in a frame up on my wall. Again, as others have said, its all about your intent. If it's just for the art, pick one up, if it's an investment it's probably best to put your money elsewhere.

Edited by Complex306
spelling

4 minutes ago, Complex306 said:

Hence why I said "IF you're into the series/artist". I'd let him make that determination rather than just assuming he is or he isn't.

I'm still pretty much brand new to this and trying to learn as much as I can. I'm certainly a fan of the series/story, but I'm still learning a lot about comics as a whole, stumbled across these the other day and really liked them and liked the idea of them being signed and remarked by someone who made a significant attribution to the series (Gaudianos name is on the cover of all the books). Still have a lot to learn and feeling my way around this new big world

Thanks everyone for taking time out to reply your opinions, I appreciate it. 

I think I'll grab one or two of my favorites for my personal collection, sucks that if I wanted to send them into CGC it couldn't get the yellow label (was reading up on it last night). I also read up on the green label and how they could deduct overall grade due to the signature and remark which sucks, I was looking into CBCS for it as well because I know they do a separate signature system.

Comic books is still pretty much a brand new world to me and I'm trying to learn more everyday, so I appreciate everyones inputs. I have been hitting up stores every few weeks and have grabbed a few good copies, even sent two in a few weeks ago to be graded by CGC! Once life gets back to normal and Comic Cons and events start happening again I'm hoping to be able to figure out some ways to go to signings and such for the experience. Looking forward to what the future holds!

38 minutes ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

I think I'll grab one or two of my favorites for my personal collection, sucks that if I wanted to send them into CGC it couldn't get the yellow label (was reading up on it last night). I also read up on the green label and how they could deduct overall grade due to the signature and remark which sucks, I was looking into CBCS for it as well because I know they do a separate signature system.

Comic books is still pretty much a brand new world to me and I'm trying to learn more everyday, so I appreciate everyones inputs. I have been hitting up stores every few weeks and have grabbed a few good copies, even sent two in a few weeks ago to be graded by CGC! Once life gets back to normal and Comic Cons and events start happening again I'm hoping to be able to figure out some ways to go to signings and such for the experience. Looking forward to what the future holds!

If you're considering sending the books to CGC (or even CBCS), you need to consider the potential resale market.  Graded collectors make up a small portion of the marketplace.  And for those who collect graded books, they're more interested in "blue" or "yellow" labels than they are green.  Thus the higher cost for such books.  If you submit the book and request a qualified label, CGC will grade it as though the signature/artwork isn't there so you'll get a higher grade, but the notation will say something like "written on cover" or something like that.  (As opposed to a blue label where the signature greatly negatively impacts the grade of the book).  CBCS does have a red label service that basically just means "in their estimation, this is a legit signature."  It's not nearly as trustworthy as a yellow label which has a more strict standard.

This all said, you need to weigh the potential resale market value vs the cost to slab.  If you're sending a book for a qualified label, it's your cost to ship the book, plus grading fees, plus shipping back.  All said and done, it's like $50+ unless you send multiple books and can spread out the cost of shipping.  Add that to your cost to buy the book (I think you said it was $30?) and that's how much you're looking to sell the book for, just to break even.  If you don't think the resale market price is greater than the cost to you, then I wouldn't advise slabbing these books.

If you are new to the hobby, there is a very good chance that your taste will be very different in a year or two. There is also a very good chance these books will be worth less than they are today, so my advice is to wait.

My first week on ebay, I spent $2,000 buying stuff I was sure I would never get another shot at, and I overpaid for much of it. 

Some really good advice in this thread from people far more seasoned than I am. Overall I think you're going about it the right way. Be cautious, do your research, ask questions. Pick up some (relatively) inexpensive stuff and send some books in for grading. These will all be good learning experiences and will help shape how you approach the hobby moving forward. You're going to make some mistakes on purchases and sales and that's ok, experience is the best teacher. Just don't go overboard while suckling at the teat of FOMO and you should be fine. And a belated welcome to the hobby btw!

3 hours ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

Of course, that seperate CBCS signature system comes at an extra cost. So you're already paying extra online for the signature/remark and now you have to pay extra again to have it authenticated, and it aint cheap. I don't know if it will cost extra on top of that for authenticating a remark (since it's usually 30$ per signature). And that's before even knowing if these will end up high grade or not. So you could end up paying an extra $100 for a comic worth $50 after all.

Of course, grabbing some for your personal collection and appreciating them as they are is the best way to go since you won`t be spending more than you have to. I myself would buy some for my personal collection if I didn't have that hefty shipping price to pay due to living in Canada.

I too look forward to another convention to add some witnessed remarks to my collection. All the best!

Edited by William-James88

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

If you're considering sending the books to CGC (or even CBCS), you need to consider the potential resale market.  Graded collectors make up a small portion of the marketplace.  And for those who collect graded books, they're more interested in "blue" or "yellow" labels than they are green.  Thus the higher cost for such books.  If you submit the book and request a qualified label, CGC will grade it as though the signature/artwork isn't there so you'll get a higher grade, but the notation will say something like "written on cover" or something like that.  (As opposed to a blue label where the signature greatly negatively impacts the grade of the book).  CBCS does have a red label service that basically just means "in their estimation, this is a legit signature."  It's not nearly as trustworthy as a yellow label which has a more strict standard.

This all said, you need to weigh the potential resale market value vs the cost to slab.  If you're sending a book for a qualified label, it's your cost to ship the book, plus grading fees, plus shipping back.  All said and done, it's like $50+ unless you send multiple books and can spread out the cost of shipping.  Add that to your cost to buy the book (I think you said it was $30?) and that's how much you're looking to sell the book for, just to break even.  If you don't think the resale market price is greater than the cost to you, then I wouldn't advise slabbing these books.

Thank you so much for all of this info, I really appreciate you taking the time to write it out! I was reading up on the different CGC labels and such, and I have certainly been taking into account the CGC costs and such. I was not fully aware of being able to request the blue label instead of green, thank you for sharing that with me