• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does "show through" bother you?

53 posts in this topic

The micro-chamber paper combined with the bright light of a scanner makes the translucency effect worse than it actually is.

Actually, Dr. B, the bright l;ight of the scanner is not even a pre-requisite. I have been taking all of my books and putting them in Mylite 2s with Fullback and microchamber paper.

Many books I microchamber are suddenly more translucent, and in some cases much more. And this is not in bright light - just the light from a 60 watt incandescent in a glassed celing fixture.

The microchamber paper really briongs out the translucency.

Again, I hate to be a stickler here, but the correct word is transparent, not translucent makepoint.gif

We should all endeavor to use the correct word. For example, many people often use the word "utilize" when they mean simply "use". I suppose utilizing longer words makes them feel smarter . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Since you can't see the interior artwork or first interior page completely clearly through the cover, translucent is the more accurate term. Translucent means "semi-transparent." confused-smiley-013.gif

And "utilize" and "use" are synonymous. They have the same definition and are listed as synonyms of one another in the thesaurus. poke2.gif

The micro-chamber paper combined with the bright light of a scanner makes the translucency effect worse than it actually is.

Actually, Dr. B, the bright l;ight of the scanner is not even a pre-requisite. I have been taking all of my books and putting them in Mylite 2s with Fullback and microchamber paper.

Many books I microchamber are suddenly more translucent, and in some cases much more. And this is not in bright light - just the light from a 60 watt incandescent in a glassed celing fixture.

Again, I hate to be a stickler here, but the correct word is transparent, not translucent makepoint.gif

We should all endeavor to use the correct word. For example, many people often use the word "utilize" when they mean simply "use". I suppose utilizing longer words makes them feel smarter . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Since you can't see the interior artwork or first interior page completely clearly through the cover, translucent is the more accurate term. Translucent means "semi-transparent." confused-smiley-013.gif

And "utilize" and "use" are synonymous. They have the same definition and are listed as synonyms of one another in the thesaurus. poke2.gif

Wrong on both counts . . . gotta run and catch my ferry! hi.gif

It's a close call, but I'll side with Scott on this one, since the interior cover is visible only with interruption (the front cover is still clearly visible, and the interior cover is not well-defined). To wit:

Dictionary defines:

Transparent - thin or fine enough to see through; allowing light to pass through with little or no interruption

Translucent - allowing light to pass through diffusely, so that objects on the other side cannot be clearly distinguished; having an appearance as if light were coming through

Stop at the bookstore on the way there and pick up copies of Webster's dictionary and Roget's Thesaurus. You can read all about how mistaken you are on that foggy ride home. poke2.gif

Stop at the bookstore on the way there and pick up copies of Webster's dictionary and Roget's Thesaurus. You can read all about how mistaken you are on that foggy ride home. poke2.gif

You're still wrong . . . but we all know how you never admit it poke2.gif Nor am I mistaken . . .

You're still wrong . . . but we all know how you never admit it poke2.gif Nor am I mistaken . . .

The irony here is thick enough to cut with a knife. poke2.gif

[i have accepted it but micro chamber being off place is more of a put off for me.

quote]As I begin to collect more and more slabbed books, I'm seeing a lot of, for lack of a better word, "show through" --- where the inside covers can be seen through the outside covers. Does this bother you? Would you not buy a slabbed book in, say 9.0, because of the show through? Can it be prevented? sumo.gif

I have hundreds of 50s-60s Harvey books with this condition and I actually find it to be a desirable quality. The see through on the Harvey comics are not prominent enough to detract from the cover. The “show though” seems to be one attribute of a high grade book since I really never see them on fine or below copies. Here is an example of the subtle bleed through.

925359-Dagwood%231.jpg

589a8f3c4ebcc_925359-Dagwood1.jpg.79aa09939c3a9a4b89120b2ab3f57de0.jpg