• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Defenders #6 and The Matrix

18 posts in this topic

For some reason, Defenders #6 was the lone hole in my Defenders 1-50 collection, but I finally got a copy and read through it today.

It deals with a magician who goes into a trance, and finds he can "invent his own reality" through his mind. This world is where, according to the comic "you suffer exactly the same effects from your fantasy as you would from reality".

He then then fights the Defenders in an artificial world, using a hyped-up version of himself, but is undone when Namor realizes he isn't affected by the lack of water ("you really think that's air you're breathing") and the Defenders break free of this artificial reality.

The story has obvious similarities to The Matrix, as do hundreds of others, but I did find it interesting that the magician's mouse was named Nebuchadnezzar. I wonder... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Interesting stuff JC. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anyone who's a huge fan of the Matrix or the concept behind it should serioisly watch the 1976 Doctor Who story titled "Deadly Assassin". The Doctor battles another Timelord in the computation matrix. They are both connected to a machine, and if they die in the matrix, they would perish in the real world as well. Plus, the matrix is made up of many illusions that are set-up as death traps. Here's a link to the story if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nce&s=video

A movie called "Dark City" with Kiefer Sutherland predates The MAtrix and is eerily similar...

That's an interesting movie. Of course you can't go wrong with Jennifer Connelly.

Another movie that was somewhat interesting and along the same lines as the Matrix was "Thirteenth Floor". I would also mention "Existenz" with Jude Law and Jennifer Jason Leigh. I think both movies predate the Matrix.

That defenders book has to be the most obsure matrix connection I've heard yet. Nice one! thumbsup2.gif

For what's it worth, here's my little list of influences on the matrix:

Jean Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulations

Hilary Putnam's "brain in a vat" theory

Michel Foucault's The Order of Things

The Gnostic Gospels

Enter the Dragon

The Doctor Who stuff that Skybolt mentioned

My 600th post! Yay!

Speaking of Defenders and The Matrix... if you want to read the worst Dr. Strange story ever written, with contrived and blatant copying from the Matrix movies, check out the JMS "Strange" mini series that came out earlier this year. It was just released in a graphic novel, and I hated it more than Gwen Stacy having the Green Goblin's baby.

That defenders book has to be the most obsure matrix connection I've heard yet. Nice one! thumbsup2.gif

For what's it worth, here's my little list of influences on the matrix:

Jean Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulations

Hilary Putnam's "brain in a vat" theory

Michel Foucault's The Order of Things

The Gnostic Gospels

Enter the Dragon

The Doctor Who stuff that Skybolt mentioned

Virtually (heh) everything Philip K. wrote from 1968 to 1981.

Roger Zelazny's "Dream Master"

This is well-trod ground in so-called New Wave SF from the 1960s...

I agree totally, and the only reason I posted this was a) it was comic-related, and b) the mouse, which figures promimently in the story, is named Nebuchadnezzar.

The ship's name has to be one of the most oft-asked questions regarding The Matrix, and the Wachowski's ages and the fact they're comic book fans/creators, makes it kind of a bizarre coincidence. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My 600th post! Yay!

Speaking of Defenders and The Matrix... if you want to read the worst Dr. Strange story ever written, with contrived and blatant copying from the Matrix movies, check out the JMS "Strange" mini series that came out earlier this year. It was just released in a graphic novel, and I hated it more than Gwen Stacy having the Green Goblin's baby.

So.......Howard, how do you really feel poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

JC- Cool catch! thumbsup2.gif

I agree totally, and the only reason I posted this was a) it was comic-related, and b) the mouse, which figures promimently in the story, is named Nebuchadnezzar.

The ship's name has to be one of the most oft-asked questions regarding The Matrix, and the Wachowski's ages and the fact they're comic book fans/creators, makes it kind of a bizarre coincidence. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of course since I'm Assyrian/Babylonian, I know that the origin of the name Nebuchadnezzar comes from the 600+ B.C. king of Babylon who had the Hanging Gardens of Bayblon (one of the 7 ancient wonders of the world) constructed for his wife.

Of course since I'm Assyrian/Babylonian, I know that the origin of the name Nebuchadnezzar comes from the 600+ B.C. king of Babylon who had the Hanging Gardens of Bayblon (one of the 7 ancient wonders of the world) constructed for his wife.

That was Nebuchadnezzar II (604-562 BC).

I was just waiting for some know-it-all to come in and post something like this, assuming us funny book readers actually thought Steve Englehart invented the word. 27_laughing.gif

The point was not about the real-world origins of the word, but about the sheer coincidence involved for both parties to use the word Nebuchadnezzar quite prominently in similar stories, especially that the Wachowski's are avid comic fans in their late-30's.

But congrats on posting about your knowledge of Babylonian kings. Your parents must be so proud. foreheadslap.gif

ProfessorFrink1.gif

ProfessorFrink1.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

"The answer to a question no one asked"

Well, if we're talking about obscure allusions in the Matrix, does any Matrix geek out there know the significance behind one of the ships being named the Hammer?

sign-funnypost.gif

gossip.gif Just so another know-it-all doesn't jump in after my attempt at a joke (a certain seller of key comics), I do know what you meant. Big blonde guy... carries a hammer, right?