• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Ebay "Me" Page Is Gone

7 posts in this topic

Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I never bothered to save a .txt file backing it up because I did all of the editing through Ebay's interface. If anyone that visited my Ebay "Me" page has a cached copy I sure would appreciate it if you could send it my way. There's no way I'm going to take the time to re-build it from scratch. Help a brotha out if ya can. Thanks.

All I have is the text that you put in a previous post, you could cut and paste it into a new page.

Kev

Here it is:

As a general rule I think CGC is a good addition to our hobby. Unfortunately there are many people that treat it like it's the end all and be all of comic collecting. It's not. CGC is not a substitute for common sense and should never be trusted implicitly. The people that work at CGC are good people in my opinion (at least the ones that I've dealt with). Because they are people they are susceptible to making human mistakes. It happens a lot more then some would like to think. There are miss-typed labels, restoration that isn't always detected, grades that are just plain wrong (re-submitting for a higher grade is becoming very popular) and certain defects that aren't even mentioned because they are not considered by the CGC grading criteria that no one knows but them.

Another problem with CGC is that sellers often take advantage of the "CGC Myth". The CGC Myth goes something like this: The CGC label says "9.6 with off-white to white pages" (or whatever). Because that's what the label says it must be true. WRONG!

Unscrupulous sellers wont mention that it's got a date stamp on the back cover or that the cover is so off center that it is actually partially responsible for the earth tilting slightly on it's axis. What's worse is that buyers wont ask for these types of details! CGC grades differently then the rest of the hobby. They are very close with the way most of us grade, but there are still some mysterious ways about them. Since when does a date stamp not affect grade or even warrant a mention?!

Any way, my point is that people need to remember that they are buying a comic, not a slab of plastic and a label. If that is kept in mind then CGC is a very good thing. They are a great resource when used responsibly, but not when used blindly. I would encourage everyone to visit the CGC Comic Book Message Board. You'll be in for an eye opening experience and you'll learn a lot about CGC and how it affects our hobby.

Based on what I've just said I believe that every seller should offer an unconditional return on any comic they sell, CGC graded or not. Just because CGC "says so" doesn’t "make it so". I don't often sell comics on E-bay, but the dozen or so times I have sold books I've always had an unconditional return policy, CGC graded or not. I've never had a book returned, but if ever a buyer disagrees with my grade and/or my overall assessment of a book, they can return it no questions asked.

So, the short version is it's his fault as much as it is yours. The fact that a book is CGC graded shouldn't stop the seller from pointing out flaws and it shouldn't keep the buyer from asking about flaws.