• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternatives to Selling on eBay
1 1

25 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:
3 hours ago, Arkham said:

And my favourite place to buy. There isn’t a single thing I don’t love about MCS. 

just from looking at their original series silver surfer books, the prices are quite high. 

are they better for buying moderns or something else?

For MCS and the original Silver Surfer series, it may be more common for those books supplied for sale to have their prices set by the owner of the books that sent them to MCS....

At least that's my understanding, I haven't read all the fine print lately lol but I do know that if you send to MCS, that you are still able to set the price you want. 

Now that ebay is also charging sales tax, I've always been charged that at MCS (same state sales), but have noticed that it's still kind of luck to find a deal :wishluck: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I have thought the reverse.  If I decide to ever start parting with some big ticket items I would set my price and hold onto that price offering it on Comiclink's and Metropolis' exchange.  If I wanted $10,000 for something I will only agree to a sale of $11,000 for the item to accommodate for the 10% commission they charge.  

This way, all I am responsible for is getting it to Comiclink.  Once they inspect and verify that it is the real deal, responsibility falls upon them. 

• If someone's significant other flips out that they spent $10,000 on old newsprint, that is for Comiclink to worry about, I have already been paid and they will put it in their auction. 
  • If someone claims that they never received it after Comiclink ships it to them, that is for Comiclink to worry about.

Things like that.   I have seen too many games over the years.  So I would prefer to have a third party involved. 

So what dollar amount do you switch to my comic shop? Overa 1K?

5 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

just from looking at their original series silver surfer books, the prices are quite high. 

are they better for buying moderns or something else?

I live in Australia and have found that, for books I collect, their pricing is usually well under eBay BIN pricing and usually very fair (or better) when comparing with GPA, regardless of age. (My purchase last week was more than $200 AUD less than eBay BIN pricing). 

That said, some folks consigning will set a price they want (and MCS will place a minor charge on top of that) that you may disagree with. If that happens, I simply put the book in my “want list” at the grade I want and sit back to wait for an email from them when there are more options! :) 

eBay is screwing the pooch with the recent changes in categories which more resemble ebid.net.  But ebid.net also retained the finer granularity in categories which, it appears, eBay has removed.  Now, eBay is just a hodgepodge of random categories.  The previous search terms like era of comic, CGC or not, grade levels, publisher, genre are ALL gone.  So, I'm guessing eBay doesn't want to be the comic book sales site anymore or they are just forcing people to put the specifics in their limited title line and then make sellers buy the second line to add the granularity themselves.   

We actually need a dedicated comic book sales engine that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to sell our comics and is easy for buyers and sellers to use.  The previous eBay model would be a great start.  Of course, there also needs to be the feedback characteristic so that everyone knows whom they are dealing with from previous buyer/seller experiences.  Super-rich collectors could create such a site (Nicholas Cage, are you reading?).  Maybe CGC could even do it themselves.  

While I'm ranting about eBay, has anyone else noticed that they are now dumping the relisting feature and making the buyer relist at the end of each listing period?   What a supreme hassle.  I guess that is to wipe out the "free" 200 listings per month that they used to supply.  ebid.net is looking better and better and with lower fees.  I have not tried it, yet, and it appears it only has a limited number of listings in the comic book category.  

Heritage auctions also lists comics (among everything else) for sale on its site (ha.com).  They recently started an area which is similar to eBay where sellers can post their comics for sale and buyers can search for them.   When a sale is made, the seller sends the comic to Heritage, whom, I guess, reviews the book and makes sure it is what was advertised, then sends it on to the buyer.  That way Heritage is covering its butt to prevent fraudulent transactions on its site.  I have not tried this,either, yet, but it is another assured way of selling.  Heritage collects 10% (same as eBay) on the sale.  

At any rate, it looks like it is time to find alternatives to eBay which continues to spiral down the drain and force sellers to waste time and money trying to get a sale.