• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The $20.00 Slab Frame Solution
2 2

7 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Will96 said:

In looking at framing solutions for slabs, It seems like everything was on the $40 and up range. I found 1 for $20 but it was plastic and didn't have a front pane. It was simply a wrap around....

So, at the frame store, I found these 1.75 in box frames and had the store cut several mats to fit the slab....

The first mat, which is against the glass is cut like a typical mat, a little smaller than the image/slab so the slab sits behind it.

The second mat is cut so the slab sits in it. This mat has foam core glued to the back to build a "box" which holds the slab snug, but not too snug that it can't be swapped out.

Lastly, there is a foam core backing which builds it out to the back of the frame.... This may not be needed depending on the thickness of the frame.

I originally had white backing behind the slab and changed that to black.

All done, the cost was $20.00. I used my own mats so that would be an additional charge if someone were to do this and did not have the supplies. Technically, you don't even need the additonal mats, you could glue the foam core frame to the front mat and build foam core spacers to create snug fit for the mat between the glass and back of the frame.

FOTO_20200925_205836(1).jpg.f53efaf5a7be89e4919d0efadfa9dbe2.jpg

1690036582_FOTO_20200926_210056(1)1.thumb.jpg.8ea2c74e4fa3518bb1d34216cab8ab16.jpg

Looks fantastic

9 hours ago, Cool & Collected said:

Looks great :golfclap:

I saw some at my local Target store that fit cgc graded books, but I needed one for multiple books.

I could not find anything that worked for me so I just built a simple frame... they do not look as nice as yours, but it did the job (shrug):bigsmile:

Nice solution for multiple books! Looks great!

On 9/26/2020 at 10:30 PM, Cool & Collected said:

Looks great :golfclap:

I saw some at my local Target store that fit cgc graded books, but I needed one for multiple books.

I could not find anything that worked for me so I just built a simple frame... they do not look as nice as yours, but it did the job (shrug):bigsmile:

This is fantastic.

Have you thought about adding either a glass or plastic UV protective to the front?  Thus making it more of an enclosed frame but also more protective against sunlight.

7 hours ago, Crops068 said:

This is fantastic.

Have you thought about adding either a glass or plastic UV protective to the front?  Thus making it more of an enclosed frame but also more protective against sunlight.

Hi Crops

Yes !  I actually have the UV acrylic at home but did not like the look of it (shrug)  

I really like looking at the comics up-close and there is something about the glass or acrylic in front of them that makes it all look very "distant".  The glare is a issue with the glass and dirt/scratches can be an issue with acrylic that add to my bad perception of them...

My solution was to just install shutters on my windows, UV fim on the glass/windows, change the lights to LED, and install blackout curtains :whatthe: 

I did two videos to share the ideas of UV comic book protection...  One of them shows the UV film I used on my cgc slabs and installation.  I think it's the video right after this one.  I hope it helps...