• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the Lowest Price Comics Can Be Slabbed For?

23 posts in this topic

In the past few months I've submitted about 40 comics through my LCS to go to CGC.  A number of them I also had pressed for $3.00 a comic.  For my last batch of 30 I was into each comic for roughly $25.00 each.

I have many more in my personal collection that I probably will get graded.

I see plenty of folks have CGC 9.8's selling here and on Ebay for $50 or less of certain non-important issues.

Two questions:

At what point does it make more sense to submit them myself?

What is the lowest price-point that others get their comics graded at?   I know I won't qualify for it but it's more out of curiosity.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Tafkap said:

Thanks.  What ends up being your final cost per book on say Bronze books?    Does  the price vary greatly with how many you submit?  

The price remains the same no matter how many you submit. The COST is a different matter since if you include shipping back and forth then the more comics you send, the more that cost is spread out. It's all dependent on the  value of your book (or what you would like in compensation in case CGC loses or damages your book). 

14 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

Immediately imo...I would never go thru someone else

https://www.cgccomics.com/account/membership/

Just to give another angle to this, I would never send stuff in myself, at least not at the volume I am handling. My tiers are all over the place. So to get the lowest cost, I send everything (say 20 books of varying tiers) to someone who will press them (cheaper than CCS) and send mine in along with others using their discounted dealer rate. I send all my different tiered books at once, I get them all back at once and I benefit from a discount even though I don't pay for a membership, since the dealer's savings are passed onto me, all while getting the best possible pressing job, spending less than I would with CCS.

20 hours ago, Tafkap said:

In the past few months I've submitted about 40 comics through my LCS to go to CGC.  A number of them I also had pressed for $3.00 a comic.  For my last batch of 30 I was into each comic for roughly $25.00 each.

I see plenty of folks have CGC 9.8's selling here and on Ebay for $50 or less of certain non-important issues.

Just to answer the question in a straightforward manner. $25 is a very good price if you aren't paying extra in terms of membership fees and spacing out your submissions, basically as good as it gets. And yes, a 100% gross margin is the average several are ok with when selling on e-bay (so selling something that cost $25-30 for $50-60). Especially if shipping isn't included.

Edited by William-James88

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Just to answer the question in a straightforward manner. $25 is a very good price if you aren't paying extra in terms of membership fees and spacing out your submissions, basically as good as it gets. And yes, a 100% gross margin is the average several are ok with when selling on e-bay (so selling something that cost $25-30 for $50-60). Especially if shipping isn't included.

Thanks for all the info. 

On 10/2/2020 at 12:33 PM, William-James88 said:

Just to answer the question in a straightforward manner. $25 is a very good price

The trouble is if your treasured book comes back a 6.0, and you end up selling it on ebay for $23...

You must have an impressive collection to own so many comics that are worthy of being graded/slabbed!

33 minutes ago, StreetPreacher said:

The trouble is if your treasured book comes back a 6.0, and you end up selling it on ebay for $23...

You must have an impressive collection to own so many comics that are worthy of being graded/slabbed!

Man forget 6.0, for most moderns, a 9.6 won't get you enough. What a waste.

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1421941

Over 90% of books graded by CGC would have made as much or more for the seller if sold raw instead.

Edited by William-James88

1 hour ago, StreetPreacher said:

Well it's all relative.  I see some of the  books people have on here and I'm small potatoes.   But for stuff from the 80's and key X-Men I had a lot.  I had GSX-Men #1, #94 etc.   Two months after Thor 337 came out I bought 25 or so copies of it for, I believe, $3 each; so those are all worthy of grading.  PLUS A lot of keys from the 80's, X-Men, Teen Titans, Micronauts whatever was hot back then, etc. etc.  I've sold a lot of them already.  Plus some early Spideys; I remember I was at a convention where a guy had a stack of Amazing Spiderman #19's for$ 5 each; I bought 3 of them.   I basically had all of them sitting in a basement, maybe 1000 or so, bagged up for about 30+ years for a rainy day and I figured this was my rainy day. 

Edited by Tafkap

10 hours ago, Tafkap said:

Well it's all relative.  I see some of the  books people have on here and I'm small potatoes.   But for stuff from the 80's and key X-Men I had a lot.  I had GSX-Men #1, #94 etc.   Two months after Thor 337 came out I bought 25 or so copies of it for, I believe, $3 each; so those are all worthy of grading.  PLUS A lot of keys from the 80's, X-Men, Teen Titans, Micronauts whatever was hot back then, etc. etc.  I've sold a lot of them already.  Plus some early Spideys; I remember I was at a convention where a guy had a stack of Amazing Spiderman #19's for$ 5 each; I bought 3 of them.   I basically had all of them sitting in a basement, maybe 1000 or so, bagged up for about 30+ years for a rainy day and I figured this was my rainy day. 

Your able to grade those SA Spidey Comics, Thor 337 and GSXM 1 comics for 25$ each? That's pretty impressive.

14 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Your able to grade those SA Spidey Comics, Thor 337 and GSXM 1 comics for 25$ each? That's pretty impressive.

The Thor 337's yes.   The GSXM and Spideys I had graded years ago and sold them years ago.  I HAD those.  But I still have some SA Spideys that I'm holding onto. 

Edited by Tafkap

9 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

So that means you only put a value of $200 for the Thor 337's ?

I'm not sure of your question?   If you're asking declared value to CGC?  

Edited by Tafkap

Just now, Tafkap said:

I'm not sure of your question?  

You have to write the value for each comic and the modern tier (the lowest costing one) only allows comics up to 200$. So are your thor comics only worth 200$ Is that the price that was listed on the submission form sent to CGC?

Just now, William-James88 said:

You have to write the value for each comic and the modern tier (the lowest costing one) only allows comics up to 200$. So are your thor comics only worth 200$ Is that the price that was listed on the submission form sent to CGC?

Yes that would be correct.  I let my LCS owner handle all the details but I believe so.  

2 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

Yes that would be correct.  I let my LCS owner handle all the details but I believe so.  

Alright, well keep that in mind since the different tiers and comic values will come into play when you send in comics that are either worth above $200 or from before the modern era, like your SA spideys and you won't be able to get that same low grading price.

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Alright, well keep that in mind since the different tiers and comic values will come into play when you send in comics that are either worth above $200 or from before the modern era, like your SA spideys and you won't be able to get that same low grading price.

That, and the extra time involved, is the very reason I did not submit any SA Spideys for my last submission.

On 10/1/2020 at 2:33 PM, Tafkap said:

Two questions:

At what point does it make more sense to submit them myself?

What is the lowest price-point that others get their comics graded at?   I know I won't qualify for it but it's more out of curiosity.

Thanks!

You had books pressed for $3 each?

I'm not saying your presser is necessarily bad but at that price I have to wonder if he knows what he's doing and if he spends much time on each book.