• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your CGC White Pagers! WHITE PAGE Appreciation Thread!
3 3

516 posts in this topic

On 12/9/2022 at 3:58 PM, MAR1979 said:

Ive heard on many Pedigrees that smell is most important.

The nose knows when its a Rocky Mountain. Page quality tells nothing.

Perhaps you're thinking of the White Mountain pedigree, in which books were stored with mothballs and the camphor smell mixed with the fresh quality of the preserved interior paper and inks is still prominent when you open one of the books in the collection.

Page quality has always been important to me.  Since I collect comic books, and not comic book covers, the quality of preservation of the interior pages and the stories printed on them is something I've factored for a long time into decisions on the desirability of a book and the price I'm willing to pay for it.

Edited by namisgr

On 12/10/2022 at 7:27 AM, namisgr said:

Perhaps you're thinking of the White Mountain pedigree, in which books were stored with mothballs and the camphor smell mixed with the fresh quality of the preserved interior paper and inks is still prominent when you open one of the books in the collection.

Page quality has always been important to me.  Since I collect comic books, and not comic book covers, the quality of preservation of the interior pages and the stories printed on them is something I've factored for a long time into decisions on the desirability of a book and the price I'm willing to pay for it.

Yes, correct,  White Mountain and others.  Smell counts!

As for me page quality* factors in but it is never the only factor

*I avoid Cream even if I am big Jack Bruce fan

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/7/2022 at 3:34 PM, alexgross.com said:

perhaps this ought to be its own thread, but i have been thinking about what books are the toughest SA key marvels to find with white pages. i thought i'd make an incomplete short list here and invite others to share their opinions. i'm not doing DC because i don't collect them, and honestly, it seems that almost all of them are pretty tough to super rare with white pages. 

based on my auction watching over the years, i'd say the toughest (early) SA marvels to find with white pages are:

Toughest: AF15, Avengers1, TTA27

Medium tough: TOS39, ASM3

not so tough: Hulk1, FF1, JIM83, ASM1, 2, 4,  Xmen1, FF5, DD1, Avengers4

i did not include the later SA keys like SS1, Iron Man1, etc. most of those are easier to find with white pages although SS1 is not so easy, esp in high grade. 

if i had to pick the absolute toughest one it would be TTA27 as i've never seen one with white pages. although i consider it a secondary key, as TTA35 is a more exciting book for me. AF15 of the major keys is also super tough. 

please chime in, unless you're the type to say WP don't matter. i don't really need to hear your opinion in this particular thread.  

update- according to @DST who rarely posts here anymore, and is a white page expert, Avengers 4 should be on the medium tough or tough list. as for me personally, avengers 1 is a book i almost never see with white pages. i sold a 6.5 white page copy last year, and since then, i have not seen a single copy with white pages or i might have placed a bid on it. i think i saw one shared here on the boards but not for sale. 

On 12/11/2022 at 10:27 AM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I’m not sure if people here consider TTA #13 a Marvel Silver Age key, but was wondering where it ranks on the rarity scale

32327D8C-DCF1-482B-B942-166366926924.jpeg

i don't consider it a key, but it's a super cool book. i've seen a few with white pages. i'd probably put it in the middle tier, tough to find with white pages but not rare. 

On 12/11/2022 at 9:29 AM, alexgross.com said:

update- according to @DST who rarely posts here anymore, and is a white page expert, Avengers 4 should be on the medium tough or tough list. as for me personally, avengers 1 is a book i almost never see with white pages. i sold a 6.5 white page copy last year, and since then, i have not seen a single copy with white pages or i might have placed a bid on it. i think i saw one shared here on the boards but not for sale. 

DD1 is much rarer to see in WP then AF15 and AV1. yet labeled "not so tought" - IMO

With that said, TTA27 is the hardest to find (of the ones listed) with WP from my experience. 

A former copy of mine.  Everybody's experience in the collecting marketplace can be different.

image.png.a44e2ec32b5873ec7bd3e846ffa486d9.png

I did a quick comparison between Daredevil #1 and Avengers #1 sold by Heritage and in their archive.  For the first 25 entries, there were 3 different Daredevil copies with white pages and 2 different Avengers with white pages.  So they're close, and if anything the data suggest that the premier issue of Avengers might be slightly harder to find with white page quality.  Even fewer white paged copies of Fantastic Four #3 were found, with only a single example of the 25 sold copies on the first page of the archive.

Admittedly, if someone wanted to take the time, it would be more useful to compare the frequency of white paged copies among all of these issues sold by Heritage.  I'm too glued to the NFL playoffs to do it.  ;-)

Edited by namisgr