• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales of Suspense Pedigrees by Issue

41 posts in this topic

Thanks for the info Mark.

I owned the TOS 39 for a couple of days. I bought it from Phil Weiss after one of his auctions. The buyer didn't pay and I was the under bidder. I sold it to Harley and he sold it to someopne in England. I wonder who that was????????? This was 1995, I think? Yes there were two copies, I asked the same question when I bought it.

But I thought Mark bought his copy from VIA (he beat me to it by a few days). As a consolation I bought a copy from VIA which I think was Brulato's B or C copy, which graded out as a 9.2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the info Mark.

I owned the TOS 39 for a couple of days. I bought it from Phil Weiss after one of his auctions. The buyer didn't pay and I was the under bidder. I sold it to Harley and he sold it to someopne in England. I wonder who that was????????? This was 1995, I think? Yes there were two copies, I asked the same question when I bought it.

But I thought Mark bought his copy from VIA (he beat me to it by a few days). As a consolation I bought a copy from VIA which I think was Brulato's B or C copy, which graded out as a 9.2.

Do you still have it?

Are you really a Marvel (good old boy) collector still, instead of an DC (high society, I know quality when I see it) collector?

Do you still have it?

Are you really a Marvel (good old boy) collector still, instead of an DC (high society, I know quality when I see it) collector?

No, long gone. I used to be a Marvel zombie with the best of them, and had a decent collection, but I sold it off to fund my pursuit of DCs.

Here's my TOS report so far.

If you have any additions please PM (with serial number if possible).

Also, discussions are encouraged. I think it's interesting to note how many Boston copies there are, but I want to know where are the White Mountain copies and Curators. Obviously a few have been grade, but what about the rest?

confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe it's because you aren't asking for the really cool issues? Or because some people like to let them roam free like God intended?

962258-aatos_wm.jpg

962258-aatos_wm.jpg.838816964e64f67ef2f16031758aa042.jpg

Adam, once again your stuff blows me away. hail.gif

I asked Steve about adding the pre-hero pedigree issues but he said there weren't enough. Maybe you can change his mind!!!!

poke2.gif

Oh wait, yours aren't entombed. Nevermind. 27_laughing.gif

I have quite a few more but none of them are in CGC holders. I doubt I've picked up more than a couple pre-heros that were CGCd.

I'm not interested in posting an inventory of my collection (and spoil the mystery?), but I can tell you that the WM collection contained a large majority of the issues. I've seen a number of copies that I do not own.

The copies in the jpg were all previously posted in the pre-hero thread and are the WM copies.

some of them are fabulous. All are well drawn: Kirby, Ditko especially. The monster stories are often one-note, but Ditkos twist ending tales are Twilight Zone worthy.

What he says.

Adam, once again your stuff blows me away. hail.gif

I asked Steve about adding the pre-hero pedigree issues but he said there weren't enough. Maybe you can change his mind!!!!

poke2.gif

Oh wait, yours aren't entombed. Nevermind. 27_laughing.gif

I have quite a few more but none of them are in CGC holders. I doubt I've picked up more than a couple pre-heros that were CGCd.

I'm not interested in posting an inventory of my collection (and spoil the mystery?), but I can tell you that the WM collection contained a large majority of the issues. I've seen a number of copies that I do not own.

The copies in the jpg were all previously posted in the pre-hero thread and are the WM copies.

Given everything that's going on I don't blame you for keeping them unslabbed. Those are gorgeous books. Why chance slab damage if you are planning to keep them?

Mine are about half and half. I buy slabbed copies online just because I've gotten too many questionable raw issues. Of course, White Mountains are a different story. You know what you're getting.

And yeah, pre-hero does rock. Some very underappreciated books, imho. Fortunately there appear to be more people taking notice of them. They feature some of Kirby and Ditko's best work. A lot of the early Marvel superhero books have art (especially inks) that are sloppy and look rushed, and raw. Some of these pre-hero books with Kirby/Ayers and Ditko-on-Ditko work are superb examples, clean, and detailed. cloud9.gif

Given everything that's going on I don't blame you for keeping them unslabbed. Those are gorgeous books. Why chance slab damage if you are planning to keep them?

Mine are about half and half. I buy slabbed copies online just because I've gotten too many questionable raw issues. Of course, White Mountains are a different story. You know what you're getting.

I don't know about that. White Mountains have graded as in VF- range to NM for a lot of Pre-Hero books.

My guess is that AdamStrange bought most, if not all of those unslabbed White Mountains, before CGC ever existed and probably now has to buy them slabbed when they are available.

No reason to get them slabbed unless he plans on selling them. There is no question that it is more "enjoyable" to hold a beautiful book in ones hand without any slab or mylar in the way.

And yeah, pre-hero does rock. Some very underappreciated books, imho. Fortunately there appear to be more people taking notice of them. They feature some of Kirby and Ditko's best work. A lot of the early Marvel superhero books have art (especially inks) that are sloppy and look rushed, and raw. Some of these pre-hero books with Kirby/Ayers and Ditko-on-Ditko work are superb examples, clean, and detailed

Don't forget Kirby with Ditko inks. That's my favorite. cloud9.gif

I don't know about that. White Mountains have graded as in VF- range to NM for a lot of Pre-Hero books.

My guess is that AdamStrange bought most, if not all of those unslabbed White Mountains, before CGC ever existed and probably now has to buy them slabbed when they are available.

No reason to get them slabbed unless he plans on selling them. There is no question that it is more "enjoyable" to hold a beautiful book in ones hand without any slab or mylar in the way.

They were purchased pre-CGC and, since I could examine the books before purchasing, I did know what I was getting. Regardless of the grade, I've the found the state of preservation hard to match.

They were purchased pre-CGC and, since I could examine the books before purchasing, I did know what I was getting. Regardless of the grade, I've the found the state of preservation hard to match.

And that, for all the noobs and lurkers, is exactly why many pedigrees are highly desirable: amazing state of preservation, page quality, etc. thumbsup2.gif

You proved my point and I agree one hundred percent that state or preservation is what makes pedigrees what they are.

thumbsup2.gif