• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At what value is it worth slabbing?

9 posts in this topic

Just curious on opinions.  At what dollar value (value of the comic) is it worth to slab a comic?  Since the cost is at least $20 (modern) or $27 (economy), to me it would seem that you would want the end value to be at least $75 to even consider submitting.  Opinions?  Being a newbie, I am trying to get the "lay of the land" in the comic world!

Edited by BrianGagne

In my case I found a box of 1960 comics, but it doesn't seem to make sense to submit some them to CGC if the slabbing doesn't increase the value when they are sold.  How much do people feel a CGC slab adds to the value of a comic?

Edited by BrianGagne

16 minutes ago, BrianGagne said:

In my case I found a box of 1960 comics, but it doesn't seem to make sense to submit some them to CGC if the slabbing doesn't increase the value when they are sold.  How much do people feel a CGC slab adds to the value of a comic?

It depends on grade, PQ, etc. Many variables.

1 hour ago, BrianGagne said:

No easy answer. When it comes to books from 1960, the restoration check alone might be worth it on some books. kids and dealers used to use magic markers to cover up things and a clean bill of health will make the book worth much more than a raw copy. Slabbing a Brave and Bold 28 may increase its value by hundreds. Slabbing a Jerry Lewis 115 may not increase the sale price at all. The more the book is worth, the better it is to slab them.

4 hours ago, HaDokKen said:

Just a small point of correction, Economy is $38 and Value is $27. This is before the 5-15% discount you get depending on level of membership.

Plus roundtrip shipping and insurance.

I would suggest you start with a dollar value or percentage increase in price THAT YOU DECIDE FOR YOURSELF, and then work backwards and do the math from there. 

1. Establish the higher end raw value at the grade

2.  Establish conservative value at whatever CONSERVATIVE grade you think it will get.  (you can do fancier math here if you want to factor in risk of higher or lower grades).

3.  Add in all the costs - shipping, insurance, pressing, grading, customs and taxes etc.

4.  Do some math, make sure you include all selling costs like paypal fees or taxes or website/auction/consignment fees.

5.  If the math works out and the marginal benefit works out in favor of slabbing according to your own rules/preferences, then slab it.  If you can't/won't do the math above or the marginal benefit doesn't work out, don't slab it.

6.  Make sure you factor in other risks like risk of damage or loss, turnaround time, opportunity cost of tying up your money.

7.  Of course you can/should also factor in your own collection goals, physical and financial situations, which is why these decisions are so unique to you personally.

I guess just look at it like a business decision, and act like you have target profit margins etc., and then attempt to act rationally. Good luck