• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

off topic: I'm interested in the science of collecting
2 2

86 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2021 at 5:53 AM, AJLewandoski said:

Unrelated, but at a cross section of collecting things and Freud related objects I recently procured an original painting by one of Freuds most famous patients Sergei Pankejeff, or as he's better known the Wolf Man. It's not an incredible piece of art, nor am I a follower of Freuds, but I think the history of the whole topic is interesting, and it's a neat conversation piece if anybody asks about the inconspicuously small painting on my wall.

To further the topic I'll add, collecting is fun. If owning or obtaining something makes you happy, do it. I'm sure if you want a deep rooted psychoanalysis for collecting one could say growing up not having as much in comparison to ones peers, and now being able to afford most anything you want and trying to fill that void is probably up there. I'm sure it all stems from primitive hunter gatherer instincts subconsciously like value, scarcity, visual appeal, nostalgia, the drive for information and understanding, and whatever else you can come up with all being hardwired in your brain. That said it's a complex intersection of many things to many people, and I don't think you could distill the experience down to the same impetus for everyone. 

Really though I'm just a simple person, I like buying cool stuff. lol

we had freud's the wolf man in my house when I was a kid.  I thought it was a horror book so started reading it and nope.

On 8/27/2021 at 1:30 PM, kav said:

we had freud's the wolf man in my house when I was a kid.  I thought it was a horror book so started reading it and nope.

Freud would probably say your experience reading that book as a child was what caused all the problems in your life. I got a copy for free when I bought the painting, and it certainly could be described as a horror of a different kind. :screwy: I bought it at the estate sale of a psychologist who had also owned the painting of the wolves. Mine is just a small landscape of a river and is truly unimpressive, but the story is interesting.

20210827_151522.jpg

On 8/27/2021 at 12:16 PM, AJLewandoski said:

Freud would probably say your experience reading that book as a child was what caused all the problems in your life. I got a copy for free when I bought the painting, and it certainly could be described as a horror of a different kind. :screwy: I bought it at the estate sale of a psychologist who had also owned the painting of the wolves. Mine is just a small landscape of a river and is truly unimpressive, but the story is interesting.

20210827_151522.jpg

I think I see a wolf off in the distance!
:flipbait:

for me a tattoo artist that enjoys collector 

collecting is a like a  job. like gathering crayons or color arranging something it takes not only muscles but intellect .

The gig is in Archiving and preserving the collections.  

I'm planning on collecting vehicles and antique cars eventually maybe a few racing cars . I'm gonna need to collect  usd bills for the goverment and the property and land owners and  their  taxes, collections, insurance, medicade, social security, mortgage, rent.) 

after i collect some cars and muscles cars; going to collect a nice miami mansion and settle down with a wife while i begin to collect a home in asia for business as i wish to develop software and video games aswell as produce records CD and books   ,  so im looking for a better job .. for now im simply collecting comics on  the side hustle while tattooing and lucky able to bake, make burgers and soy patties in the conventional ovens "atrist of the sandwhich" my current job title and its like not for certin and the businesses still pay minimum to their employees . :p  i'm searching for editing, translating, typing, job going to work on my porfotlio and resume .. !!!! a great   salary would be something nice to collect

fluent in writing translating Spanish and English and familiar with some  kanji and Indonesian language, fast learner .

ARCADE THE COMICS REVUE.PNG

XYZ HD PHOTO CROPED FRONT.jpg

BLACK AND WHITE COMICS.png

EL PERFECTO 9.4.png

s-l1600 (1).jpg

SNATCH 3.jpg

I guess for me, thinking about it now, with boxes full of artwork by Starlin, Ditko, Kirby, Gulacy, Sutton, Steranko etc I feel that these things have their own intrinsic worth, (place in pop culture and in my own personal history,) unrelated really to any monetary value. (For a long time they had almost zero resale value, especially many 70s Marvels.) I can see the value of the artwork and feel a need to 'save' and protect them, ie collect, organise and store them for some future beneficiary. Someone like me!!! Sadly my daughter has no interest and why would she? Only when I tell her that if sold, she could have a decent University education, does she perk up. But then I have to say to her, sell them? Over my dead body. (Now I have to check her google searches to see if she's looking up how to kill a parent and get away with it.) It makes me a little sad to think that when I pop off my collection will be scattered to the four winds most likely. 

Edited by LowGradeBronze